Kilrah

Re: 9XR PRO FRSKY Telemetry

Post by Kilrah »

Yes.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, any of the 8 sets of servo pins. Take care not to short 5V to Gnd while measuring.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

I measured the voltage on the servo pins on the X8R and got 4.9 volts, so I adjusted the Rx Voltage factor in the Telemetry settings page to 13.3v to get 4.9 showing on the radio telemetry page.
I now think the logged voltage readings of the Pixhawk (5.2v) are not going to be the same as the Rxv (4.9v).
Before I installed the Mauch PM, the Pixhawk voltage varied considerably with logged values from 4.5 to 4.8. With the Mauch it is rock solid 5.2 +/- 0.03
S500 + Pixhawk 1 clone + Mauch PM + C&T Telemetry adapter + 9XR-Pro (Taranis gimbals)/XJT/X8R
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, if you measured 4.9V with the voltmeter, then the rock solid 5.2V are WRONG.. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

I am using my telemetry radio & Tower app on Android to display amps and mah. On the telemetry screen on the 9XR Pro, I am showing cvlt, ctot, and rxv using frsky X8R + FLVSS voltage sensor (TmOK = 2) with the XJT module.

Now I want to display Amps on the custom telemetry screen. I set Current Source to SC1 and then tried showing Amps and SC1 (source = Amps), but it only shows 0.0 in both cases. Can this be done without installing a SPort current sensor on the quad?
S500 + Pixhawk 1 clone + Mauch PM + C&T Telemetry adapter + 9XR-Pro (Taranis gimbals)/XJT/X8R

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Yes, see here for X-Series S.Port Amps sensor: (http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sp-150a-s ... ensor.html).
Last edited by bob195558 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

bob195558 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm Yes, see here for X-series S.Port Amps sensor: (http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sp-150a-s ... ensor.html).
I am asking if measuring/displaying the amps can be done *without* using an SPort sensor? ;)
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

jhsa wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:43 am Well, if you measured 4.9V with the voltmeter, then the rock solid 5.2V are WRONG.. :)

João
Forgive my ignorance -- if you connect several devices together, is the output voltage of device 1 always equal to the output voltage of device 2, etc.?
In my case there are 3 devices, the power module (Mauch) connected to the Pixhawk power port, and the sbus port of the X8R receiver connected to the Pixhawk RCIN.
Should the voltage at each connection point between the 3 devices be exactly the same voltage as that coming from the power module which is 5.32v?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can't know amps without a current sensor... now it seems your power module has one, which would give current data to the FC, now you need to get the FC to tell that to the receiver if possible. Need to check the doc of your FC to see if it can talk to an FrSky receiver and how to configure it if it can.
rsilk49 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:03 pm Forgive my ignorance -- if you connect several devices together, is the output voltage of device 1 always equal to the output voltage of device 2, etc.?
Not necessarily, some devices need lower or higher voltages than others, so in a system there usually are several voltage regulators with different outputs. Again, see the doc for your stuff.
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

Kilrah wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:24 pm You can't know amps without a current sensor... now it seems your power module has one, which would give current data to the FC, now you need to get the FC to tell that to the receiver if possible. Need to check the doc of your FC to see if it can talk to an FrSky receiver and how to configure it if it can.
After more reading, I have found it is necessary to use a converter cable between a Pixhawk serial/telemetry port and a FrSky X series receiver to provide all telemetry data that can be output via Mavlink. FrSky sensors such as FLVSS can be daisychained with the convertor if required.
Converter cables can be purchased from Craft&Theory, Airborne Projects, etc.
All the setup documentation on the radio side seems to be geared towards OpenTX on the Taranis. AFAIK, Mike has done a lot recently to provide improved telemetry support on the 9XR Pro.
If anyone has successfully used a converter cable with the 9XR Pro running ersky9x, please let us know.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've done some firmware for an Arduino Pro Mini that takes in Mavlink and sends out FrSky, 'D' or 'X' telemetry.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

MikeB wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:34 pm I've done some firmware for an Arduino Pro Mini that takes in Mavlink and sends out FrSky, 'D' or 'X' telemetry.

Mike.
I think the telemetry converters offered by Craft&Theory and Airborne Projects may be performing some type of data conversion in addition to providing the required wiring/connectors. They both require LUA Scripts when using a Taranis radio.
The cables are reasonably priced at around $20-25.
Mike, it might be worth asking them for a demo cable to get them "ersky9x certified" ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Unless that's changed I believe the C&T cable is just a passive serial level adapter. I think the FC can output native S.Port that you can send straight out as standard FrSky telemetry. There's a separate data format for their script and you shoudl be able to change which one you want put out. Mavlink out and a converter like Mike's is the 3rd solution.
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

Kilrah wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:23 pm Unless that's changed I believe the C&T cable is just a passive serial level adapter. I think the FC can output native S.Port that you can send straight out as standard FrSky telemetry. There's a separate data format for their script and you shoudl be able to change which one you want put out. Mavlink out and a converter like Mike's is the 3rd solution.
According to the Ardupilot docs (http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common ... metry.html) in the latest versions of Arducopter, there is support for outputting standard FrSky telemetery data via the serial ports. The recommended port is serial 4/5 -- e.g. SERIAL4_PROTOCOL 4.
In this case a serial level adapter cable could be all that is needed between the serial 4/5 port on the Pixhawk and the SmartPort chain.
There is also now FrySky passthrough protocol which provides a lot more info including error messages, arming warnings, etc. The setting is 10 for this protocol.
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

For some reason, I can no longer see any telemetry on the custom telemetry screens. I was getting RSSI, TSSI, RxV, TmOK, etc. I think some of them were non-zero when I powered up the radio without even connecting to a receiver before.
The XJT module LEDs are solid red + flashing green which looks OK and the 2 dip switches are both off.
UsrProto is FrSky, Proto is PXX.
The radio is binding to the X8R receiver and I can arm and fly.
Something must have changed, any ideas?
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

In your 9XR-Pro radio in Protocol do you have the setting of D16 for your 8XR receiver ? :?:
XJT Module Settings
XJT Module Settings
You should not see TSSI (only seen with PPM protocol), but instead see SWR with protocol XJT setting (which is your PXX protocol).
XJT module to X8R receiver works using com1 (in telemetry settings) for the S.Port telemetry (PXX,D16, com1).

Bob B.
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

FIXED!
When I checked the Telemetry settings, somehow I had changed the Invert COM 1 to ON! Reset it to OFF and all is good again :)
Tx for making me check the Com Port!
For some reason it is still possible to label the Swr field in the custom page "TSSI" The hard coded fields do read "Swr"
Last edited by rsilk49 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

With S.Port telemetry you have to use PXX protocol which only dose SWR telemetry data reporting
in place of the older PPM protocol (D-Series telemetry) which then dose the TSSI data.
Your RSSI is more important anyway and you can have a voice message alerting you to lost of telemetry instead.

Bob B.
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

I am running ersky9x-r 218 firmware on the radio with the XJT module.
I have installed a Craft&Theory telemetry cable between my HK Pixhawk clone(serial 4/5) and the X8R receiver, chained with the FLVSS sensor. I set SERIAL4_PROTOCOL to 4 (standard FrSky) and have Arducopter Firmware level 3.3.2 installed. No other serial ports have protocol 3, 4 or 10.

TmOK shows 2 and I am getting RSSI, Swr, RxV displayed and Cvolt from the FLVSS sensor.

However, I cannot get any other telemetry values displayed such as Alt, Lat/Long, Hdg or Amp which I can see via the telemetry radio/Tower app.

In the Telemetry settings pages, I tried changing the COM2 Func. from Telemetry to Sbus 57600 but got the same result. Is the Current Source param used in this configuration and if so what should it be?

I would appreciate any insights/ideas.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Craft & Theory use their own IDs on the FrSky SPort. I'm not certain r218 supports these. At the least, please update the firmware on the 'PRO to r220, or you could go for a later test version from the test versions thread.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

When using protocol 4 (standard S.Port) no unusual IDs should be sent. C&T specific is 10.
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

MikeB wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:31 am Craft & Theory use their own IDs on the FrSky SPort. I'm not certain r218 supports these. At the least, please update the firmware on the 'PRO to r220, or you could go for a later test version from the test versions thread.

Mike.
OK Mike, I have updated to r220. I have not yet connected the radio to the X8R.
I managed to set the module to external XJT. But now the TmOK only shows "0" where before with r218, it would be "1" when I switched on the radio. I do see a Swr value of 17.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I probably changed the operation of TmOK, and only set it to '1' when telemetry data is received, as opposed to including the SWR (which comes directly from the XJT) in the 'trigger' for setting TmOK to '1'.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

I prefer the old way. It helps confirm the XJT is receiving.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Perhaps I didn't make the change clear.
If ONLY swr is being received, then TmOK is 0 (swr comes from the XJT whether any receiver is powered or not).
If swr and RxV/RSSI is being received, then TmOK is 1 (telemetry being received from the receiver).
If other telemetry data (from sensors) is being received, then TmOK is 2.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

I have updated the radio firmware to r220. Yes, TmOK does work as you describe. :)

According to the Arducopter docs (http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common ... y-configmp) setting SERIALx_PROTOCOL to 4 outputs standard S.Port FrSky telemetry. However, I am still not seeing any values for the basics such as altitude, amps, and GPS.

Is there any way I can send you a log or if you like, I can mail you my C&T cable to test. It is a Pixhawk 1 clone (Molex Pico) to X8R/X6R cable.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is TmOK showing 1 or 2?
Please follow the instructions in this post: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8753&start=150#p124154, and PM or post the raw log file.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

Telemetry log
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've looked at the logfile (from RCG), and there is no data from any sensors being sent by the XJT. So it seems no data is being received by the receiver from the FLVSS or the FC.

Can you try with just the FLVSS connected to the SPort of the Rx?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

I will try again. However, the XJT is definitely receiving data from the FLVSS as I can see total and cell voltages on the radio and TmOK = 2.
I did not save the log file the way you described (restart in bootloader mode). I powered down the radio, removed the SD card, mounted it on the PC and then saved it to upload to RCG. Would that have corrupted the file?

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”