9XR PRO - better gimbals

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
Pihlerm

Re: 9XR PRO - better gimbals

Post by Pihlerm »

Ok, I'll open it up and make some photos.

@jhsa: I just replaced the throttle/yaw gimbal, so I simply removed the vertical trim _(don't need it).
But I see that people have cut the pcb for trim button in this thread, so when I install the right (pitch/roll) gimbal, I will try it.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, so then just a note.If you fly IC (Internal Combustion) powered models, you will need to keep the trim..
Trims that are not used for trimming a model can also be used to control other channels, at least in ersky9x you can do it. I am sure that opentx also allows for this..
So, it is always a good idea to keep them even if they are not used as trims. :) ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Pihlerm

Post by Pihlerm »

Ok, here are some images.

I wanted minimal cutting of plastic inside the radio so that I can revert to standard gimbals..
Just a little needs to be cut from the central "bridge", all the rest is intact.
3d printed part can be done in a better color.. but fits nicely.

I have uploaded the 3d part STL and SCAD to Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2693386

The M9 gimbal itself only needs 4 3mm holes drilled through the printed plastic holes, for mounting everything on the radio.

I will probably re-mount the trim once i get the other (right) gimbal, as people above have done (cutting the PCB by 2-3 mm and resoldering the contacts).

Wiring is straight forward ([GND SIGNAL VCC] on the right side , left to right). Vertical gimbal is left connector, horizontal is right connector.

Other than that, you need to reverse throttle direction in software.

I also found a reasonable solution to trim switches. Disassemble the central bridge to get the trim PCB out. Unsolder the connector completely (mark one of the signal (white) wires with red dot..) then cut the PCB like this: (make sure not to cut the outer trace!)
DSC04774.JPG
Then, rotate the PCB by 180 degrees, and by cutting a little plastic, you can position it like this:
(Note that on the left, all necessary plastic has been cut. On the right (where the PCB is), some cuts still need to be made)
DSC04775.JPG
Solder the wires, make sure to swap the two signal wires (because of board rotation).
It all just fits nicely when you reassemble the switch.
DSC04778.JPG
Some other views on the bridge with plastics cut:
DSC04769.JPG
DSC04772.JPG

This is the gimbal adapter, mounted on gimbal (replaces aluminum plate):
DSC04776.JPG
DSC04766.JPG
It just fits inside:
DSC04756.JPG

This is the final look (printed in black ABS:)
DSC04782.JPG
Last edited by Pihlerm on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:55 am, edited 9 times in total.
LaurenceCarroll

Post by LaurenceCarroll »

Hi, just joined the Forums here having got my 9XR Pro awhile ago now... I have installed the HobbyKing 3 axis stick and got it up and running a week ago or so....Mode 2 and replaced the right stick.... left stick is now just Throttle. Which I think I do need to adjust the range to show full range...

It was listed last year when I bought it as

Quanum Single Stick 3 Axis Gimbal Upgrade For Turnigy 9XR/9XRPro Tx's but I cant find it now in HK.....????

FYI....Laurie
Pihlerm

Post by Pihlerm »

Ok, I think i found a decent solution for trim switches.
Cut the PCB a little and rotate it (and cut a bit of plastic) .. solder the wires and voila.
See my previous post (i've updated it a bit).

I hope it helps somebody. In short: you need a 3d print of two adapters, disassemble, cut a tiny bit of plastic inside 9xr (nothing serious - just hobby knife), desolder / resolder wires from pcb of trim switch, cut the pcb a little, and reconfigure the M9 wires a bit.

I think - in all its worth it in the end. Works beautifully and i really like the smoothness of the gimbals.
And you don't destroy the 9xr in the process - you can always put back the original gimbals.

BR, Matjaž

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Nice. One problem the other taranis gimbals had on the 9XR-PRO was that when moved to the corners, they would hit the corner not allowing for full movement.
Could you please check the M9 doesn't do the same?
I don't consider it a big problem, but it might be for others.

Thanks

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Pihlerm

Post by Pihlerm »

@jhsa: yes, they just touch the corners a bit.
But they still have a larger throw than original 9xr gimbals.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I remember someone wrote that those gimbals had less throw. But it seems there are more than one version of the M9 gimbals? I think there is one version with less throw than the other?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Pihlerm

Post by Pihlerm »

Yes, the M9-R has less throw (intentionally) with better sensitivity, so you still get full resolution.
But for my fingers, more throw seems better ;)
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

More throw is better resolution and less throw is less resolution.
All they did with the M9-R was to put a stopper on the throttle movement.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
FPVChris

Post by FPVChris »

I just completed this MOD to my turnigy 9XR pro so I thought I would share my results:

First - the radio was brand new bought through hobbyking cyber Monday sale. From the very beginning the radio gimbals did not feel as good as my barebones FlySky i6x radio which was my first radio - This one has really smooth feeling potentiometer gimbals.

Compared to the flysky - The turnigy 9xr pro gimbals felt sticky on the upper half of the throttle range - friction was good until midpoint and then got stiffer in the top half of the throw range - this was really annoying when flying quads as I have my mid-throttle setup for cruise speed and i am constantly adjusting around the mid point and an asymmetrical feel makes it much harder. The centering was very strong on both sticks and not easily adjustable to get the feel that I wanted -> positive return to center but not "notchy" as I cross to the other way - a very common stick movement when flying quads. Also the Roll/Pitch gimbal never quite stayed in the middle - i would get a 0 value on roll when centering from left and a -0.5 when centering back from the right. There was clear flex in the potentiometer boards even with hot glue (factory applied)

Other than the issues with gimbal feel I really liked the radio - being able to run either openTX or Ersky9x - I tried both and settled on Ersky9x. I also really liked the full support for Frsky telemetry using the external XJT module I put in the radio.

So my best solution was put the M9 gimbals in my radio. I used the 3-d printed adapters on this thread and found them to work almost flawlessly. I believe the M9 gimbals may have been updated since their introduction. I see several pictures with different wire colors... Mine all came Red/Brown/Orange on each gimal Axis. I was able to work it out by looking at all the pictures and using a multimeter. I also had to do a lot more cutting to my central bridge to clear the gimbals (but I only cut small notches to clear the mounting screws in the gimbal structure and not the large sections like some people have shown.

The results: Both gimbals mounted and working perfectly - trim pieces are not yet adapted and re-installed but I don't really need them for quad flying so I'll clean up over the next few weeks.

Impressions so far:
- These are the smoothest gimbals I have used so far. They feel extremely precise around center and rock solid centering putting out exactly 1500 with no wandering on my flight controller. I am running these with 0 deadband instead of deadband = 2 like the stock brand new gimbals required to reliably center.
- The brake pressure on throttle is silky smooth and the same throughout the entire stick travel
- The gimbal sticks do hit the faceplate if you try max roll/ pitch or max throttle/yaw - this is not an issue for me as I don't fly a style where I would be at both extremes
- The sticks are much shorter in the default setting to the 9XR pro sticks. They also have much more travel - if I had to guess another 5 degrees in each direction
- When left in the lowest position my fingers constantly rub against the face plate - but the throw distance is quite good for my flying style - I fly pinch
- When extended to a more reasonable height it's much more comfortable to pinch, however the travel distance across vertical range is a little too long to comfortably pinch and your index finger hits either the P3 potentiometer or the ID3 switch
- neither stick height would likely cause problems for a person using thumbs - but for pinch flyers I would be careful and try someone's radio which has the gimbals installed before doing this mod

Overall:
- I am really happy with the upgrade so far. I tried playing around with the stick in the lowest setting and I think I can adapt my pinch style to work.
- These are the nicest gimbals I have had a chance to try so I want to make them work - but the best part about using the 3D printed adapters is that everything can be put back to stock.

I wish FrSky would just make a set of modified M9 gimbals to fit the 9XR radio. Even if they decided to charge us a premium at $25 each a drop-in solution would be worth it, especially if they shortened the throw angles and increased stick heights a little .... That would be amazing!

FPVChris

(edited to clean up some errors)
Zincyellowmach1

Post by Zincyellowmach1 »

A little work over on the stock ones can make a world of difference, if anybody is interested I can write out details. I got them feeling good and very little to no drift from 0.
webmaven

Post by webmaven »

I have installed the M9 gimbals but can't seem to reverse throttle direction. I don't see it in the hardware menu or anywhere else.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

What firmware are you using on your radio?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ChrisTerroni

Post by ChrisTerroni »

Just wanted to say thank you for putting the time in and posting this for other. I had looked at this a long while ago and decided not go ahead. Your solution changed my mind I have modified the trims and printed the adapters. Now I'm just waiting for the M9 gimbal's to arrive.

Pihlerm wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 pm Ok, here are some images.

I wanted minimal cutting of plastic inside the radio so that I can revert to standard gimbals..
Just a little needs to be cut from the central "bridge", all the rest is intact.
3d printed part can be done in a better color.. but fits nicely.

I have uploaded the 3d part STL and SCAD to Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2693386

The M9 gimbal itself only needs 4 3mm holes drilled through the printed plastic holes, for mounting everything on the radio.

I will probably re-mount the trim once i get the other (right) gimbal, as people above have done (cutting the PCB by 2-3 mm and resoldering the contacts).

Wiring is straight forward ([GND SIGNAL VCC] on the right side , left to right). Vertical gimbal is left connector, horizontal is right connector.

Other than that, you need to reverse throttle direction in software.

I also found a reasonable solution to trim switches. Disassemble the central bridge to get the trim PCB out. Unsolder the connector completely (mark one of the signal (white) wires with red dot..) then cut the PCB like this: (make sure not to cut the outer trace!)

DSC04774.JPG

Then, rotate the PCB by 180 degrees, and by cutting a little plastic, you can position it like this:
(Note that on the left, all necessary plastic has been cut. On the right (where the PCB is), some cuts still need to be made)

DSC04775.JPG

Solder the wires, make sure to swap the two signal wires (because of board rotation).
It all just fits nicely when you reassemble the switch.
DSC04778.JPG

Some other views on the bridge with plastics cut:
DSC04769.JPG
DSC04772.JPG

This is the gimbal adapter, mounted on gimbal (replaces aluminum plate):

DSC04776.JPG
DSC04766.JPG

It just fits inside:

DSC04756.JPG

This is the final look (printed in black ABS:)
DSC04782.JPG
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

i'm going for the gimbals mod on my 9XR PRO and considering two options:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-m9-r- ... ition.html ($23)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-repla ... itter.html ($14)

are the M9 worth the premium price (almost 2x) ?
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I believe they are.
I upgraded my Taranis-x9d (using erSky9x firmware) and it made a real difference.
Feels like I have better control over the standard Taranis Gimbals when flying.

Bob B.
vodkabears

Post by vodkabears »

Hi. I'm going to do a m9 3d print mod, already ordered a pair. But the fact that sticks hit the faceplate at full throw bothers me a bit. Is it possible to do something to move a stick axis higher? For example, modify a 3d model to make a small groove at outer screw holes or cut some excess plastic from 9xr screw stands (I'm not gonna revert, my original sticks show +-15 at center). Any better ideas?
piglet74

Post by piglet74 »

@Zincyellowmach1 - can you explain what you did to yours to get them to center consistently? Thanks in advance.
vodkabears

Post by vodkabears »

Hello everyone.

Today I made an M9 3D printing mod. After some plastic grinding it fitted quite well. Then I wanted to adjust height of the sticks but the metal bar was rotating inside the plastic after I applied a significant torque. It seems that the stick ends are screwed in too tight. Has anybody had the same issue? Is there any possible workaround?
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

Hello there

So I started replacing my gimbals for the ones from FrSky Taranis, but I can’t get the radio to calibrate properly. One direction is fine (say top and left) but the other one (bottom and right) doesn’t go all the way. Even after many attempts of analog calibration. Any tips ?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

bob195558 wrote:I believe they are.
I upgraded my Taranis-x9d (using erSky9x firmware) and it made a real difference.
Feels like I have better control over the standard Taranis Gimbals when flying.

Bob B.
Thanks bob, I decided to go one step at a time. Taranis gimbals seems to be a lot easier to fit so I’ll try them first and upgrade to M9 at a later point.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

iFeghali wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:29 pm Hello there

So I started replacing my gimbals for the ones from FrSky Taranis, but I can’t get the radio to calibrate properly. One direction is fine (say top and left) but the other one (bottom and right) doesn’t go all the way. Even after many attempts of analog calibration. Any tips ?

Please make sure you connected the gimbals correctly. it might be that you might have swapped a couple wires

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
vodkabears

Post by vodkabears »

iFeghali wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:29 pm Hello there

All wires must be black-yellow-red
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

vodkabears wrote: All wires must be black-yellow-red

That’s original wiring above. I have wired new gimbals as following:

Old yellow -> new yellow
Old red -> new red
Old brown -> new black

So your suggestion would be :

Yellow > black
Red > yellow
Brown > red

?

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I am not sure with the 9XR-Pro wire colors.

João would know if the 9XR-Pro wire colors are normal World Standard Wire Colors.

I say this because the 9x-radio wire colors are not standard
as with them you would have to check each wire to identify what it is.
They never specked World Standard Wire Colors for the 9X radios, (they were any color for the wires).

I hope the the 9XR-Pro Gimbal wires are:
Red to Red (+ voltage wire 3.3V )
Yellow to Yellow or Orange (center signal wire)
Brown to Brown or to Black (- Ground wire)

But not sure as I do not have the 9XR-Pro radio.
EDIT: You will not could damage any thing with miss wiring the Taranis Gimbals,
but the stick direction would not be correct.

In "Radio Setup" you may be able to correct the stick direction if needed.
If upgrading to the M9 Gimbals you must have your wiring correct, as miss wired M9 Gimbals, will be damage.
Last edited by bob195558 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you connect the 3.3V wire to the center of the pot and ground at one end, you might destroy the pot and probably the voltage regulator.
What you could do is disconnect the gimbals, and measure with the radio turned OFF, which pin of the connector connects to ground, and which connects to the 3.3V rail. use the multimeter set to read continuity. Once knowing that, the other pin is the signal pin that connects to the middle of the pot.
the taranis gimbals's wires are (if I'm not mistaken),
RED is 3.3V
ORANGE is signal
BROWN is Ground

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

jhsa wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:46 pm If you connect the 3.3V wire to the center of the pot and ground at one end, you might destroy the pot and probably the voltage regulator.
João
Hi João,
(might destroy the pot)
Is this just for the 9XR-Pro and/or dose this also include the 9X radios too ? :?:
(with all there upgrade boards too)

Seem if I remember correctly, if one miss wires the Taranis Gimbals,
there would not be a danger of destroying.

Any combinations of wire connections would not be a direct short to ground through the pot ? :?:
Last edited by bob195558 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

bob195558 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:57 pm
Seem if I remember correctly, if one miss wires the Taranis Gimbals,
there would not be a danger of destroying.

Any combinations of wire connections would not be a direct short to ground through the pot ?
of course you could destroy it.. Please check the picture attached. if you connect V+ to the pot wiper by mistake and move it completely towards the pin that connects to ground, two things happen.
1 - When the wiper starts getting close to GND, the resistance decreases and the current increases. The pot element starts getting hot and could eventually get destroyed.
2 - as soon as the wiper touches the pot terminal connected to GND, it is a short between V+ and Ground, that means you shorted the 3.3V regulator. You could destroy it. i don't know if it has short circuit protection.

So, yes, you could burn stuff by connecting the pot wrong.. ;) :)

João
Attachments
Pot Short.jpg

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi João,
Thank you for the info, I see where it could now !
Pot Short_c.jpg
Pot Short_c.jpg (31.05 KiB) Viewed 40437 times

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”