Trouble getting even basic FrSky Telemetry working

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
stewlg

Trouble getting even basic FrSky Telemetry working

Post by stewlg »

I've finally started to try to understand FrSky telemetry on the 9xr Pro.

- I have the Hobbyking telemetry cable hooked up from the 9XR Pro to my FrSky DJT Module and I believe I have the pinouts connected correctly (there's only one way the 3 pin connector can fit over both the Rx/Tx pins. I'm not connnecting to the 5v/gnd pins at all).

- I have enabled Telemetry on the relevant Model in OpenTX by setting it to "FrSky D (Cable)".

- When the transmitter on the model is powered up something happens on the Telemetry channel because the 9XR Pro starts to cycle rapidly between Telemetry being on and not on - the voice says "Telemetry Lost - Telemetry Recovered - Telemetry Lost - Telemetry Recovered" etc, etc.

- I never see any valid values coming through with the telemetry. I have no sensors hooked up on one model I've tested with. On another model, I am not 100% confident of my configuration (it's a new Naze32 board, and I'm new to Naze and its config). But I would expect to at least see RSSI values, no?

I'm running OpenTX 2.0.8 (2014-07-27).

Do I need to set jumpers or anything else on the FrSky receivers?
Do I need to set dip switches on the DJT module?
Is something else going on?

stewlg

Re: Trouble getting even basic FrSky Telemetry working

Post by stewlg »

Oh, I forgot to mention - the two receivers are a FrSky D4R-II and a FrSky D8R-IIPlus.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I would suggest you put the original ersky9x firmware back on. This was fully tested with the DJT module and telemetry before the 9XR-PRO was released for sale. If you still have problems, it will then be easier to help sort them out.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
michel49

Post by michel49 »

Of course, I had the same issue; telemetry don't work with OpenTx on COM2, only with stock FW at this time; maybe later ?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As I understand the situation, of the curently active openTx developers, only Bertrand actually has a (prototype) 9XR-PRO. This means he is the only one testing openTx on the 9XR-PRO. With everything else he is doing, I suspect this means not all can be fully tested.
With ersky9x, there were at least 6 of us testing the firmware before the 9XR-PRO was released for sale. Most, if not all, of these are still testing new versions of ersky9x.
Just at present, if you run openTx on the 9XR-PRO, be prepared to be a firmware tester!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There is indeed a bug in OpenTX 2.0.8 and telemetry doesn't work on the 9XR-Pro.
It should be fixed for the next bugfix release (2.0.10), if you want to confirm it works you can try the nightly build here (as usual, it's recommended not to fly with it until formally released through companion):
http://jenkins.open-tx.org/nightly-20/

We'd indeed appreciate a confirmation :)
stewlg

Post by stewlg »

I can confirm that this issue is fixed in the latest nightly - I am at least seeing RSSI, and I expect once I add sensors that they'll come online too, but I'll follow up if they do not.

Thanks to everyone - looking forward to the release.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Great, thanks!
stewlg

Post by stewlg »

For several months now I've been using OpenTX with my DJT module and the Futuba cable for Telemetry with my 9XR Pro. But, I've never gotten anything beyond RSSI working - I've never seen any other values whatsoever. Until today, I assumed it was because I had misconfigured things, as I never tried an actual FrSky sensor, just 3rd party things like the Naze32 board and and this APM 2.6 <=> FrSky X8R interface. I figured there were a lot of things to go wrong there, and OpenTX was at the bottom of the things I thought might be responsible.

So it finally dawned on me that I should get around to testing an actual, simple FrSky sensor. I tried the FBVS-01. I don't believe it is working.

In case I'm missing something really elementary here, I'm attaching some pictures of how I have the test case set up. I'm connected to a 2nd battery that is not powering the D8R-II receiver, which I'm figuring isn't a problem, but otherwise is exactly how I'd run the sensor in a model. I'm set up for "FrSky D (cable)", and you can see I'm getting RSSI, but no A2 value for voltage. The Battery checker shown is displaying voltage for the battery being measured by the FBVS-01.

I'm happy to try things differently, just let me know how.
IMG_0827.jpg
IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0830.jpg
IMG_0831.jpg
davx

Post by davx »

Hi,

Make sure you've set up A2 correctly in the TELEMETRY menu.
For what I can see of your config, you need these settings:
screenshot-2.png
screenshot-2.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 9546 times
Bye.
stewlg

Post by stewlg »

Setting the range to the correct value (which you were right, was 19.8v) gives me a valid voltage sensor reading. Thank you!

So perhaps I just need to figure out how to use OpenTX's telemetry menu with Naze32, etc.
davx

Post by davx »

Hi,
stewlg wrote:So perhaps I just need to figure out how to use OpenTX's telemetry menu with Naze32, etc.
I've found this thread on RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2172604

Bye.
bivo

Post by bivo »

Hi guys, I`v seen your interesting discussion, I have a 9XR Pro R202 with FrSky DJT tx and D8R-XT rx. I made the telemetry cable to use in my radio according to the scheme available in HK files. Its working, but just RSSI and TSSI, rx voltage is NOT working!

I`v made the jump between in the A1 pin based in the rx manual, but even like this it doesn`t work.

Would be a faulty rx ?

Some radio configuration?

or my DJT tx?

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”