No sbus from 9xr Pro and X8r

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
dmimlitch

No sbus from 9xr Pro and X8r

Post by dmimlitch »

As a noob to the 9xr pro, I have searched and searched and can't find a solution.

I have a 9XR pro, xjt module and several x8r RXs. I am wanting to use the Sbus output to feed a Wookong M flight controller. I have the model set to PPM 16 and the XJT module is set to d16. I can bind any of my RXs just fine on 1-8, 9-16 and have no problems. But my Wookong M will not see the sbus. I have connected and OrangeRx 9 channel rx to the wookong in the past and it saw the sbus input so I don't think it's the wookong. I don't have anything else that takes sbus input to test this on.

Is there something that I am missing in my setup? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
eepesky.JPG

krisp

Re: No sbus from 9xr Pro and X8r

Post by krisp »

my understanding is that the s.bus functionality can't be enabled on the 9xrpro due to patent restrictions.
Last edited by krisp on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You're mixing up with smart port.
Sbus always works without having to do anything, it's a receiver feature.
Are you sure you plugged it in the right port of the wookong and configured it right?

Envoyé de mon SM-G900F en utilisant Tapatalk
dmimlitch

Post by dmimlitch »

Kilrah

I wish it were that simple. I just walked out and double checked, and I am using the sbus port which is on the same side of the RX as the PWM connectors. The smart port is on the opposite side of the Rx, next to the antennas.
Last edited by dmimlitch on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The first 2 lines of my post were directed to krisp.

The 3rd is for you ;)

dmimlitch

Post by dmimlitch »

Kilrah

Sorry about that. But It made we wonder if I had been overlooking something stupid.

I think the wookong is setup and working. I have connected sbus to the wookong in the past, from an orangeRX dsm2 rx (and JR/Spektrum TX) and the wookong saw the sbus signals, but they were in the wrong order, and I choose because of the difficultly to not try to change it with a spektrum TX. So, I believe that the wookong is configured correctly, and without any other way to verify the sbus output, I am sort of at a deadend troubleshooting wise.

Unless I get some other suggestions, I'll reconnect the OrangeRx and make sure I can still see that sbus output on the Wookong. Additionally, I have a Naza M that also takes sbus, I try both the orangeRx and my X8R with that to see if it can see the sbus.
krisp

Post by krisp »

Kilrah wrote:You're mixing up with smart port.
Sbus always works without having to do anything, it's a receiver feature.

whoops! i stand corrected :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You are sending 16 channels in PPM mode. You haven't adjusted the PPM frame length. You need to set this to around 37mS.
Alternatively, drop the number of channels to 8, while testing, to see if the SBUS works.
I suspect the Tx module cannot work out what you are sending it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
dmimlitch

Post by dmimlitch »

Mike

Thank you for your response. Since it looks non-linear, is their a chart of suggested values for different numbers of channels?

from what I can assume (Dangerous I know) there must be 8mS of overhead, and about 1.8ms per channel. So my guess is that the chart would look like this.

Channels Frame length
8 0.0225
10 0.0261
12 0.0298
14 0.0334
16 0.0370
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Use 2.0mS per channel and 5mS (min) for the sync pulse. If you enable extended limits, a channel pulse could get as large as 2.14mS.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
dmimlitch

Post by dmimlitch »

Both the radio and eepesky will only allow me to set it to 32.5ms which would not even be enough for 14 channels, so I am confused.
dmimlitch

Post by dmimlitch »

Mike

32.5mS worked. I first tried it with 12 channels and 32.5ms, and she started singing. I played and tweaked my mixes for a while and got everything I needed working. I then switched it to 16 channels and it was still talking. Thanks for your help.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Note that the xjt doesn't support more than 12 channels when the input is ppm, so it's useless to send 16.

Sent via mobile

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”