Can't seem to get FrSky DJT JR module working in new 9XR Pro

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
stewlg

Post by stewlg »

I just bought a 9XR Pro and have been trying to move over to it from a 9XR. I have a FrSky DJT JR module that is properly bound to its receiver and, when in the 9XR, works totally fine, and the receiver shows as bound and the model responds properly.

When I first received the 9XR Pro I immediately put OpenTX on it, before doing anything else. The 9XR is also running OpenTX.

I've looked and looked through menu settings, but no matter what I do, when I transfer the same FrSky module into the 9XR Pro, it gets power, shows as transmitting, and the receiver is again bound. But no commands seem to reach it, and the model is unresponsive.

The only thing I can think of is the PPM settings, and these I've left at the default PPM settings for a new OpenTX firmware.

Suggestions?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Can't seem to get FrSky DJT JR module working in new 9XR

Post by MikeB »

The original firmware (ersky9x) has been well tested on the 'PRO. My first suggestion is to put this back and see if the DJT works with that. All the Beta testing was done with this firmware, none using openTx.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

On the first page of the model settings, you might need to enable the external ppm. I've been trying openTx lately, and an upgrade created the same problem for me.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That would be for the Taranis, the 9XR-PRO doesn't have an "external PPM".

I don't believe any of the active Beta testers have even tried openTx on the 'PRO. Only Bertrand and Romolo ever receied any test hardware. Romolo doesn't seem to have been active at all this year. Bertrand had a 'PRO, but has not participated in the Beta testing.

ersky9x has been enhanced specifically for the 'PRO. The version shipped with the 'PRO (r202) was frozen in March this year, and given much testing both before and since to avoid any problems. By putting this back, it will be much easier to check if there are any hardware problems as the firmware has been well tested.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I was just going by an observation I made with my sky 9x board. I don't have a 9xr pro. But, I figured open tx would be similar on the pro is on the sky.
-Gohst

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

To anyone buying or owning a new Pro may I suggest?
Please test it with the supplied FW before flashing anything new FW. You need a baseline checkout before moving on. Then you'll know what you received. Also for Frsky DJT install to see telemetry. You'll need the Futaba trainer port to DJT data port to finalize the interface. Then first using the stock ersky9xr installed FW select Com2 as I remember. This will complete the telemetry communications interface. You'll have to set the actual telemetry alarms in the required screens after that.
Then try the open sky9xr or opentx FW after that knowing your 9xr pro is ok.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.
stewlg

Post by stewlg »

Thanks to everyone for the quick help.

I've used the bootloader to move back to the stock firmware, which I left on the SD card (and had also backed up). Now, however, it is evident the eeprom data is not quite right since the radio had a very bad default contrast, other settings are wonky, etc.

I have looked through all the menus and did not find a way to clear the eeprom data from the radio. I got the impression that OpenTX used a checksum to ensure it was looking at a valid set of OpenTX eeprom data; does the stock firmware not do this?

Still working on getting the radio talking to the receiver on stock, but the bad eeprom data makes any negative experiment inconclusive, so I thought I'd post this and see if there was a quick way to reset.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I only tested PXX and S.PORT with a X8R, but not PPM. Please send me your email in a PM if you would like I fix it, I will need at least one beta tester on 9XR-PRO. Almost 100% are using the Taranis.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 'stock' firmware (ersky9x) does also check for a valid EEPROM, and should re-format it if it is found incorrect, after showing "Bad EEPROM Data" etc. This will set a default value for the contrast. This may need adjusting as the LCD's vary a bit from radio to radio.

What other settings are "wonky"?

If you run eepskye on you computer, you can select "new" to get a fresh EEPROM image, then burn this to the radio. You will then need to check all the settings in the "RADIO SETUP" and calibrate the sticks.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
stewlg

Post by stewlg »

Bertand:

I'd be very happy to help test. I've sent you a PM.

MikeB:

Besides the LCD, I thought I noticed a strange interjected syllable or sound in the "Welcome to the 9XR Pro - Easy Star(t)" voice message. After reflashing, I thought it was saying something like "Welcome to the 9XR Pro [bizarre syllable] - Easy Star". But it has been inconsistent. Sometimes I've heard the extra syllable more than once in the message.

Perhaps its a bug? Or maybe I just don't understand what I'm hearing. But if you tell me the eeprom has been erased and reset, I believe you and am content.

Good news - I did get the 9XR Pro talking successfully to the receiver using ersky9x r202. So I think we can proceed with fixing OpenTX - I don't believe my hardware is faulty.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

gohsthb wrote:I was just going by an observation I made with my sky 9x board. I don't have a 9xr pro. But, I figured open tx would be similar on the pro is on the sky.
-Gohst

gohst, they aren't quite the same. you can see that there are different fw files for each of them.
for example, does opentx support the DJT telemetry input at the futaba trainer port? that is very important. then there are other stuff like the ability of replacing 2 position switches with 3 position. but I think that is a feature, not a requirement :)

joão

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Right, OpenTX doesn't support the nice little cable yet :) But it will very soon, don't worry, now I have some beta testers ready to help!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Good.. :)
And don't forget all the other cool stuff that the taranis offer and fits on the pro.. Or is it taranis exclusive?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
stewlg

Post by stewlg »

OpenTX 2.0.3 has resolved this issue - at least for the FrSky DJT module I've been having problems with.

I have not yet tried telemetry yet.

Thanks Bertrand for your quick help!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

jhsa wrote:Good.. :)
And don't forget all the other cool stuff that the taranis offer and fits on the pro.. Or is it taranis exclusive?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João
That's a little bit true, because the Taranis takes my whole spare time. But I should also say that I didn't have ONE feedback from the 9XR-PRO beta testers, so it returned to the upper shelf (I won't use it myself).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

we couldn't. we had to test the firmware the radio was going to ship with.. And still testing new stuff.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't think that is surprising. After all the 'PRO is shipping with ersky9x, so that was what was being tested. With the Taranis, I didn't do anything to get ersky9x running ready for its launch, just helped with openTx. It would actually have been nice to have feedback from the two units members of the openTx team had regarding what was being shipped. Or, if they didn't have time, then have the units passed to someone who did have the time. This happened with another Beta tester, he didn't have time, so his unit was passed on.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I didn't promise anything like this. I received a 9XR-PRO because HK wanted me to port OpenTX on it.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

hhmm interesting.. :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
driftoz

Post by driftoz »

is there any updates with this ? i have a 9XR Pro with FrSky DJT module and everything seems to run fine with the openTX 2.0.8 apart from the receiver seems not to pick up any signals. works fine with stock ersky9x firmware
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Anything we knew about was fixed in 2.0.3.
Could be a wrong setting, what are your module options set to?
driftoz

Post by driftoz »

the 2 switches on the back of the FrSky DJT module are both down is that what you are talking about ?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

As mentioned we 9xr pro beta testers were never asked by Hextronics (HK) to test alternate FW as part of the agreement. I personally found out late in the testing by accident that the OTX team were sent beta pro's for OTX testing. I don't think they mentioned it in our private forum we all shared. Too bad!
That being said, I have no objections if asked, to loading OTX and trying it out now that the pro has been offered for sale providing HK is on board. My pro is owned by HK, not a personal one.
I feel both teams were "played" a little by HK.
I am curious as to what's going on. That's a good thing!
Kilrah

Re: Re : Can't seem to get FrSky DJT JR module working in ne

Post by Kilrah »

driftoz wrote:the 2 switches on the back of the FrSky DJT module are both down is that what you are talking about ?
No, I mean the protocol settings on the model setup page.

Sent via mobile
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I loaded OTX 2.08 into my pro and did some testing. I selected D receiver with cable as my option.
PPM positive shift. I had the telemetry cable connected. I had just used ersky9xr with the same stock DJT module and cable, all worked.
After flashing otx 2.08 I no longer had any ppm input to my DJT. The D receiver did indicate I had a link. The switches were still down.
I then flashed back to ersky9xr and now had no ppm out? What I found there us the mixer screen was showing --- for channels. Once I entered them back I got servo and ppm action.
I'm now wondering after quitting for a needed break, if I missed the mixer setting menu in OTX? I'll flash OTX and try again later.
Hopefully it's just a missed screen setting.

What about OTX Sport and PXX support for the XJT? The pro hardware supports it and I believe HK and Frsky have come to legal agreement on using it just recently thanks to MikeB.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, I loaded OTX 2.08 9xr pro again and lost ppm into the DJT module. Still NG.
Also the sd card still has the same named folders I use for ersky9xr. Should these be that Taranis file names and format?
I programmed the mixer to have 100% on TAER and still no output ppm.
I hope this helps in troubleshooting the FW.
Btw, loading OTX cleared all my mixes due to a required processor reformatting. Nothing important but I forgot about that issue in swapping FW types.
Hopefully the OTX team will give this a try ASAP and see what's going on. I'm sure I've tried the obvious so far?
For now I'll have to agree with the first post, it's not outputting ppm.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Issue's been open, we'll check.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks Kilrah. I'll give it a try when it's resolved. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
Also please include an inquiry about what the sd card needs as files? I assume we need to add the OTX folders the Taranis uses or will the ersky9xr folders already there?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Sounds are named differently and are in language subfolders, so yes you need to change the voice pack. The rest is non essential, and the directories are created when needed if absent.

Sent via mobile

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”