9XR Pro Wiring Info Q&A

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
mnementh

Re: 9XR Pro Wiring Info Q&A

Post by mnementh »

Okay... It appears I got the last Pro of the first batch; #299. ;)

I'm getting started on the 6-Pos SW Mod; I don't have R22 on the board. I'm guessing it's what, 0-1Ω, 0603 size, right?

Are there any other joys of being an early adopter I should know about? Things HK felt weren't "necessarily necessary" ?

Also, which is the current corrected diagram for the 6-pos switch?

The diagram for the 6-position switch appears to have nothing connected to Pin 3; is there supposed to be another 1KΩ resistor branch there, or another value?

I found with my 6-Position mode switch for the 9XR, that 1500Ω at R2 and R6 worked best, with 820Ω at R3-R5.

[EDITED TO ALLEVIATE EYE POLLUTION CAUSED BY MY OWN TEMPORARY STUPIDITY]

SIMPLE MODULAR FLIGHT MODE SWITCH

Is there something I'm overlooking here?

mnem
*Not current*
Last edited by mnementh on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

mnementh wrote:The diagram for the 6-position switch appears to have nothing connected to Pin 3; is there supposed to be another 1KΩ resistor branch there, or another value?
Is there anything I'm overlooking here?
The 'spare' analog input already has a pair of 2K2 resistors on the main board biasing the input to half VCC (half 3.3V = 1.65V).
The resistors shown allow for this, and when switched to position 3 you get 1.65V on the analog input.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Oh DUH. :oops: It's not like you put the voltage divider in the diagram or anything. :roll:

I was expecting it to behave as another another POT input like on the 9XR. Double DUH. That's what I get for thinking.

Could you please label that pin on the switch NC to prevent future episodes of temporary stupidity? I think you will get oodles of folks asking that just like I did until you do; even those of us who should know better. Hell; with my memory, I can see it happening to me again 6 months from now. :mrgreen:

Again, back to R22 - what is used there on recent product runs that have the location populated?

Also, are there any other production differences for the first batch?

mnem
*Stirs floor with toe while looking awkward*
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

R22 is 100 ohm according to the circuit diagram.

The 2K2 resistors are shown in this post: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5659#p80481, just a few posts down the page.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Mike, Brent -

Yeah, I KNOW they are. I was being sarcastic at MYSELF for not paying close enough attention to what happened just ONE PAGE AGO where most of this was explained, as you say, just a few posts down the page. Which, after rereading it, I realized I had read already while I was waiting for my PRO to be delivered. :lol:

I think this revised diagram would help those great many of of us with selectively sucky vision :geek: (and memory) apply it to the actual Pro mainboard and the circuit we're trying to build:
6WAY-REVISED.jpg
I hope you don't mind that I took creative liberties with your work; I was just trying to make my own "For Dummies" version.

Thank you,

mnem
*Simplify*

howie52

Post by howie52 »

As a proud owner of a 9XR pro for a couple of days now I am currently evaluating options to make use of OpenLRSng builtin telemetry features. ;)
Looking at the schematic RxD/TxD of Com1 is already wired as a bi-directional signal to the module bays connector. Before rewiring to Com2 I would like to understand the intention for the bi-directional Com1.
How is the bi-directional communication supposed to work? Are there already any supported modules or code snippets? Has somebody already thought about a modified OpenLRSng firmware to support the hardware implementation?
howie52

Post by howie52 »

Got it working:

OpenLRSng on HK OrangeRX OpenLRS 100mW TX module works with FrSky emulated telemetry on the 9XR pro with eepsky9xr R206!

Steps to get it running.
1) Have the latest openLRSng release on your openLRS hardware and configure it for FrSky telemetry. Not "Yes" only or any andvanced hub telemetry. Just plain FrSky. openLRSng can speak FrSky and sends SSI infor and analog values from the two analog inputs of the RX - if you want and configure this.
2) Modify your TX hardware to connect COM1 on the module port. COM1 of your 9XR pro is connected on the module ports "RF out" connector. The OrangeRX TX module has RF out already connected, but with some dummy signal only. You want to have the modules TX pin connected to module connector to feed your serial data to the 9XR pro serial COM1. Look here, how to do it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/274 ... trymod.pdf
3) Configure your 9XR pro to receive FrSky data on COM1 and don't forget to set reverse polarity!

Have fun!
jeffstu

Post by jeffstu »

is it possibly a good idear to have the 9XRPRO wiring drawings put into PDF format so as to print them at a good size to use them

regards Jeff
jeffstu

Post by jeffstu »

can it be possible to have these drawings in PDF FORMATto enable us to print them?

regardsJeff
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You mean like this?
9XR-PRO_WIRING.pdf
(3.88 MiB) Downloaded 1152 times
All I did was to view the images full size, right click on them and select "save image", then I dropped them into an open office document and exported it as a .pdf.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
snagglesworth

Post by snagglesworth »

Hi MikeB

I'm just getting round to adding a 6 way switch to my 9xr pro but I seem to be a little stuck. So far on my 9xr I've added two taranis side pots using P1 and P3 connections. My plan was to add a rotary encoder and a 6 way switch where P1 and P3 were located. I've connected the 6 way switch to power, earth and spare analogue. When using the latest firmware I can see A9 changes with the 6 way switch (0732, 0768, 077A, 079C, 07FC, 0FFF) but how do I assign the 6 way switch to a channel?
Thanks in advance
Snaggs
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

MikeB wrote:You mean like this?
9XR-PRO_WIRING.pdf
All I did was to view the images full size, right click on them and select "save image", then I dropped them into an open office document and exported it as a .pdf.

Mike.
The wiring diag maybe helpful.
The LHS Gimbal is showing up in the scrn that shows the sticks centred in a box but not showing any response in the scrn with the 4 bars
I am having some input from jsha in another thread

Cheers Geoff
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Geoff, please keep all in the other thread so we can all help you better. ;)
If the information is scattered it is more difficult to see it. Don't worry, we read all the relevant posts ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

snagglesworth wrote:Hi MikeB

I'm just getting round to adding a 6 way switch to my 9xr pro but I seem to be a little stuck.I've connected the 6 way switch to power, earth and spare analogue. When using the latest firmware I can see A9 changes with the 6 way switch (0732, 0768, 077A, 079C, 07FC, 0FFF) but how do I assign the 6 way switch to a channel?
Sorry, I've been a bit busy and missed replying sooner.

The firmware is (currently) written to handle replacing the ELE switch with a 6-position switch. If using the 6-way switch from FrSky for the Taranis, this is how to wire it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5468&start=120#p82029.

If you do that, and then go to the hardware menu and select 6PSA for the ELE switch, your 6-position switch should then replace the ELE switch. This will, at least, confirm all is working correctly. I probably need to allow for a 6-position switch in addition to the ELE switch.

I started these changes by using the spare analog input to convert the ELE switch to a 3-POS switch, so that is why it then became the 6-pos switch.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
josephdouce

Post by josephdouce »

Maybe add custom mapping of switches which would cover all eventualities I understand this would be a big change.

e.g. a radio setup page where you can specify with default setup already loaded. Would only really need 2pos 3pos and pot since 6pos is essentially a stepped pot.

Name Type Inputs
EG1. 3POS. A9,A8
EG2. 3POS. D1,D2
EG3. POT. A7

Just a thought.
josephdouce

Post by josephdouce »

Or if you just give us access to the raw analog and digital inputs in logical switches that would let us DIY any configuration.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I already have custom mapping of switches (internally). It shouldn't be too difficult to logically connect a pot input used as a 6-pos switch to the 6-pos options, just need a bit of time to look into it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Weselyn

Post by Weselyn »

Im trying to wire rotary encoder, but it works funky.
I wire it like this
thumb-rotary.jpg
thumb-rotary.jpg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 38919 times
as Skynorth showed on another forum based on Mike's schematics, but when I turn on (ersky9x-r218), selection jumps all over the place (5 front then few back, then front again). button is working just fine.
IMG_20160108_231523.jpg
IMG_20160108_231425.jpg
What am I doing wrong?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Does the center button work?

Go to the Radio Setup/Hardware menu and change "Rotary Divisor" to 4. Does it still jump?
I have one of those on my PRO and it works if I turn it slowly. But it also get crazy if I move it fast..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Weselyn

Post by Weselyn »

yeah, now it works, thanks!!!
Weselyn

Post by Weselyn »

Is there someware documentation how hardware menu works, and what kind of addons (like rotary switch) can be implemented.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

A ersky9x manual is being written at the moment.
For addons, check the first few posts of this thread.
What do you mean with "how the hardware menu works"?
The hardware menu should only be needed when there are hardware changes, like new gimbals, bluetooth, or a rotary encoder like you just did. The rest of the time is to be left alone. That is why Mike protected it on the latest versions of the firmware. If settings are changed there by mistake or by someone else playing with the radio, you can really mess it up.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Weselyn

Post by Weselyn »

Yes, I understand that. Maybe I asked question wrong, what else can I do that is already supported by code in particular in hardware menu: I got new 3axis gimbals, new 6POS, Rotary encoder and one of 2Pos changed to 3Pos... Bluetooth is waiting for a cable to arrive. :oD

But values for PB1 par example allow LCD2, LCD6, LCD7 - Does it mean that I can steal this lines from LCD for new buttons?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, although you need a resistor wired in line with them or the LCD won't work properly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Michael

Post by Michael »

I am not yet 100% familiar with this TX or the software that is used on it (I use a different version on a modded 9X). I'm contemplating getting this TX to mod it like my 9X, so the question now is:
Can I use the "SPARE-ANG" to put a pot, instead of the 6 way switch, and have the software assign it to any channel, like any other pot?

It looks feasible from all the diagrams, but one of the posts above makes me thinks that maybe the software would only discriminate 6 positions?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The most recent firmware I released a few days ago does support using this analog input for an extra pot. As the board was designed intending to use this input for a switch, you will need to remove a couple of resistors that bias the signal to half the supply voltage for the pot to work properly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks so much for the info, and for the software, it is so appreciated. Ever since we had these cheap radios that we could tinker with, it makes the hobby even more fun, and we get great customized radio. That is thanks to people like you.
Yes, I understand, the 2 onboard 2.2K would have to be removed so that the input can run the full gamut.
mcometa

Post by mcometa »

C79 on mine is fried, may I know what is it so I can replace it on my own. Thanks!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

0.1uF.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jkornel

Post by jkornel »

Hi,

I'm struggling with my 9XR-PRO, Orange 1W TX to get FrSky emulated telemetry.
ERSKY9X v218, OpenLRSNG v3.8.8 (telemetry set to 'Yes-FrSky', data rates on defaults)
R2 resistor removed from Orange TX, TX wire directly connected to COM1-RX/TX and GND to COM1-GND (I tried also with COM2 with no luck) Invert COM1 is set to ON (tried with off also), Telemetry to port 1
I dont use level converter, TX line looks 3v3 compatible

I could get frsky data at 9600 speed via my arduino sketch correctly out from this Orange TX, so it must be ok, but no data appears on 9XRPRO temeletry screnns but zero, not even floating values...

any help would be appreciated:)

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”