9XR Pro Wiring Info Q&A

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: 9XR Pro Wiring Info Q&A

Post by MikeB »

You say "TX wire directly connected to COM1-RX/TX".
Where, exactly, do you mean by "COM1-RX/TX"?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

jkornel

Post by jkornel »

Orange module TX pin connected to the COM1 port left pin (labelled as RXD/TXD pin) and module GND to COM1 port right pin (GND) with simple dupon jumper wires
I made a small open space on module front cover to get access to the DTR/TX/RX/Vcc/GND pins externally and also connected a pair of wires into the 9XR COM1 port, that comes out thru a hole.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That RXD/TXD signal also connects directly to pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector (used by FrSky XJT module for SPort telemetry).
Check whether your module has anything that connects to this connection.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jkornel

Post by jkornel »

Thanks, it's been solved by modifying Orx module internals (wire TX to RF) instead of connecting module TX to COM1. Dont know why but it's ok now :)
Also figured out while testing with DJT setup that the COM2-Futaba outlet has reversed pinout (RX vs. TX) after changing it DJT also works fine
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The COM2 connections may not be reversed, it is normal to need to connect the Tx signal from the module to the Rx connection on COM2.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Flybar

Post by Flybar »

Hi Mike,

When setting up the spare analog and spare Digital inputs how do I assign them to a source or switch?
What is their label? I can't find "spare-Dig" or "Spare-ANG" in the available choices.
I'm attempting to use the spare analog as a 3-way switch and the spare digital as a single through switch.

Much thanks
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You will have to enable it in the hardware menu. To find out how to enable the hardware menu please press menu long and then scroll down to "Help"

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ckambiselis

Post by ckambiselis »

Does anyone have a schematic of the main board, I found one at another forum but the link provided was not working anymore, I'm trying to find if any of the test points are for the USB connection, my computer isn't reacting in any way when I connect the USB cable, even though the radio does change from the firmware selection to the Connecting screen.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check the cable works with another device so you are certain it is not a "Charge only" cable.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ckambiselis

Post by ckambiselis »

Everything obvious has been checked.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There are no test points on the USB data signals. They are available on pins 12 and 13 of J9. Take care not to short to pin 14 of J9 as this is the ERASE signal.

Since you see "Connecting" then the 5V from the USB is being detected by the radio.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ckambiselis

Post by ckambiselis »

Took the connector board off, checked the connections all the way to the main controller, everything seemed ok, put everything back again and now it works, not sure if the board wasn't making perfect contact or something but it works fine now.

For future reference, R46 and R48 are connected to D+ D-, the resistors are 100Ω.
vtgrx

Post by vtgrx »

Do I leave the PPM2 output in the RF board and rotary encoder in the main board disconnected?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Sorry, I don't understand your post. What are you trying to do??

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
vtgrx

Post by vtgrx »

jhsa wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:17 am Sorry, I don't understand your post. What are you trying to do??

João
Can I get a picture of the motherboard and RF board of the TX in its default condition with no mods or hacks? In my TX, the rotary encoder port shown in the above image was not connected to any wires. Also, the PPM encoder in the RF board was not connected to any wires.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Both the rotary encoder connector (main board) and the PPM2 connector (RF board) are not connected to anything on the radio as shipped. Both are for users to use if they want to add "extras".

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
vtgrx

Post by vtgrx »

MikeB wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:12 pm Both the rotary encoder connector (main board) and the PPM2 connector (RF board) are not connected to anything on the radio as shipped. Both are for users to use if they want to add "extras".

Mike
Thank you so much, Mike. That was exactly the answer I was looking for.
Jeff262

Post by Jeff262 »

Does any one know if that is a standard power slider switch? Also I need to get my model info off a old one and need to power the motherboard directly since most of the up half of the radio is smashed onlyone know the power wires for the mother board and there voltages? I assume it the wire line on the schematic that says thanks mike
Jeff262

Post by Jeff262 »

What wires power the motherboard and what voltage are they, I need to be able to power the board to get my model memory off, I fried my deck board so I cant get power to the motherboard, thanks jeff. Also I assume the power switch is a dpdt switch correct?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I am not at my PC at the moment to check where is the power connection but there is a thread on this forum that shows the connections of the mainboard and where to connect some extra hardware.
The switch is a DPDT. I did repair mine by opening it and cleaning the contacts with alcohol and an old toothbrush.
You say that the deck board is fried. Check R9 on it. If it doesn't measure close to zero ohms, just jumper it and see if the radio works after that.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
BiggsDarklighter

Post by BiggsDarklighter »

Is there an proper electrical schematic somewhere? I need to take a closer look at the actual switch wiring. I am having some weird back-feeding... Testing at the switch and I can't figure out where the switched ground is.
mentero

Post by mentero »

Ground is not switched. Image from the 9XR_RF_V1_04_PDF file.
Screenshot from 2020-08-24 10-52-08.png
Miguel
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty. Douglas Adams.
BiggsDarklighter

Post by BiggsDarklighter »

Mentero, I owe you double actually! You had already linked SkyNorth's schematics... I have been all over the place asking questions. :oops:

Mentero sent me the full schematics over here: (sorry not sure where the original post was, but that seems to link to the original files.)

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”