Thanks
Steve

mnementh

Re: 9XR-PRO Hacks and Fixes

Post by mnementh »

Thanks, Steve!:)

Here's another one...

[BBvideo 800,480]http://youtu.be/rV3IBJ3u7NA[/BBvideo]

Custom RGB LED Backlight assembly replaces OEM; controlled by RGB LED Strip lighting controller.

TX Has both LCD Backlight and [READY!] LED converted so overall "look" is complete; IR remote controls Color selection and Brightness, but controller is integrated so that software is still able to switch backlight ON & OFF as usual.

Controller has 15 pre-programmed colors plus White; it also offers four cyclic lighting effects to complete the "Bling!"

I am currently in the process of writing up a photo how-to in my Blog; I will update here when it is completed.

And yes, I will soon be working on a version for the Taranis/Taranis Plus!!!

Thanks for viewing,

mnem
"DR. BLINGENSTEIN!"
MikeB
9x Developer

9XR-PRO Hacks and Fixes

Post by MikeB »

The 9XR-PRO, and the SKY board, include an I2C interface bus.
Near the bottom right of the main board in the 'PRO is a 2 by 2 set of pads (0.1" pitch) that has the connections for this I2C bus (3.3V, Gnd, SCL, SDA).
The SKY board has a single line of pads (0.1" pitch) with the same signals, more towards the centre of the board.

This I2C bus is currently used for the volume setting and the Real Time Clock.
There are many devices available that have an I2C interface that could be added to this bus.

I have just experimented with a Microchip MCP23008. This is an I2C expander that offers an 8-bit I/O port. Each of the 8-bits may be configured as either an input or an output. If used as an input, then there is an option to enable an internal pull up resistor.

I have code working that communicates with this chip and I have 2 inputs and 6 outputs working. I just chose this as a test configuration.
I've written the code so it can easily be used for different devices.

mnementh has sent me an I2C device that offers 8, PWM LED drivers, I'll be adding support for this next.

Another possibility might be an analog to digital converter, although there aren't many suitable devices available.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, Thank you so much..

Please allow me to translate this to English that we mortals understand :mrgreen:
MikeB wrote:
I have just experimented with a Microchip MCP23008. This is an I2C expander that offers an 8-bit I/O port. Each of the 8-bits may be configured as either an input or an output. If used as an input, then there is an option to enable an internal pull up resistor.

I have code working that communicates with this chip and I have 2 inputs and 6 outputs working. I just chose this as a test configuration.
I've written the code so it can easily be used for different devices.
This means for example more switches, and turn stuff on and off. Like RF modules, LEDs, Bluetooth/Wi-Fi modules among other options
Another possibility might be an analog to digital converter, although there aren't many suitable devices available.

Mike.
This could mean more Pots, sliders, etc..

Mike, in theory, we could even use the i2c to add some accelerometer sensors to the radio, and control the model by just moving the radio in all 3 axis, right?? :mrgreen:
I think I should have kept this thought to myself?? ;) :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

After a few minor false starts, I can also control the PWM LED driver from mnementh.
I now need to think about integrating these facilities into the user interface.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

awesome.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
leoalexus

Post by leoalexus »

Hi all,

Just got my 9XR pro and the LCD doesn't turn on at all, the backlight works but the LCD never shows anything.
I've got a replacement on the way but would like to try and fix this one. The actual radio works fine and I've been flying with it, but obviously cant tweak or set anything.
I've checked the ribbon cable and it seems ok. If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful, I'm not great with electronics.

Cheers!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

download the eeprom to eepskye, change the LCD contrast to about 27 or so and burn the eeprom back to the radio. Maybe that could be the problem..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
leoalexus

Post by leoalexus »

Thanks for the advice, I cant get the radio to show on my pc, but as I was trying the screen briefly came to life... backwards:

Reckon this is hardware?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think part of the setup configuration of the display is to set the direction it is to operate in, so getting a backward display shows part of the setup didn't work.
To access the radio from the PC, you need to start in bootloader mode, hold both horizontal trims towards the centre, then switch on, then plug the USB cable in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
leoalexus

Post by leoalexus »

Cheers Mike,

I was using that mode, I updated the firmware via sd card while the screen was just about working. But connected to windows it says 'the usb device you connected malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it'
Sometimes the screen is backwards, sometimes right way up but off the top. It is always pixelated and constantly changing/flickering.
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Did you try and re-fit the ribbon cable into the LCD connector.?
It may not be mated 100%...

-Brent
leoalexus

Post by leoalexus »

Tried refitting the ribbon cable a few times now, it seems well in there. I've only checked the one end, not wanting to remove the whole board. But it looks like the other end is fixed to the LCD anyway. Still no joy...
doctorhelo

Post by doctorhelo »

Good morning to everyone!
I'll be quick i BURNED OUT MY 9XRPRO!
Why and what is coming..i want to fpv flight a 220 cm soaring plane..so i have a old version of fatshark googles and i created with dyi aurduino a headtracker..i runned into a cable power of googles ppm out and centering of HT in order to take power from the radio battery (someone has said that 3 cell power is a bit too much for the old fatshark??) I wanted to put the HT ppm signal into the ppm2 3 pin door (is that correct to do?? Or should j put it into the futaba one? I wanted to save the futaba one for telemetry.. i do have a frsky with v8frII..
The problem is that while i was cheking power with battery in with the tester stick i closed a rf power with ppm..the speacker buzzed twice and then the screen stopped to work and a costant zzzzzzzz told me probably i've burned eveything..
1 what should i replace? Main board 9xr +rf board swithing on the 9xr????
2 will work the frsky v8frII?
3 other way??
Thanks guy!
Fabio
rszasz

Post by rszasz »

I saw that a switch can be assigned to move the current channel levels into the trim location to allow for easy trimming. Adding a mini button next to each trim switch to move just that axis into memory would be nice, but I dont think there is a simple way to wire it up. I know there is an i2c bus, and that there are i2c to gpio chips, would it be possible to add a set of digital inputs, and how painful would it be to add a per channel/per axis trim import to the software?
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Good evening all,
I would like to change the backlight from the stock blue to whyte. My guess is that there is no problem if i use this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _DIY_.html.
Ill do the same as for the smartieparts, by cutting the wires and soldering the 9xrpro plug?
Can any body tell me if this is safe?
thx
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

MikeB wrote:After a few minor false starts, I can also control the PWM LED driver from mnementh.
I now need to think about integrating these facilities into the user interface.

Mike.
Mike -

I've had a bit of a strange turn in my life; been away for um... a few months. :| What is the status of this mod? Are we controlling weather patterns and altering planetary orbits with it yet? ;)
OctavioS wrote:Good evening all,
I would like to change the backlight from the stock blue to whyte. My guess is that there is no problem if i use this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _DIY_.html.
Ill do the same as for the smartieparts, by cutting the wires and soldering the 9xrpro plug?
Can any body tell me if this is safe?
thx
Nope; won't fit. The 9XR uses a larger backlight, and the LEDs are all along the top, not on the end like the 9X backlight.

That said; I have a detailed How-To on this VERY Mod right here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5657&start=60#p86084

mnem
*Lit*
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've had a lot of things on myself recently, including supporting a new Tx module so I haven't made any real progress with this.

The parts are on my bench staring at me though!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I hear ya there, man.

My new day job leaves pretty me much knackered by the time I get home to wife & kiddles. I play with them until bath-time, scope out my few internet haunts for a few minutes and maybe putter on my bench a few more... then BAM! I look up and I'm a half-hour late for bed and I haven't even taken my vitamins and allergy meds yet. :rolleyes: . Pass out, wake up, repeat.

mnem
tzzzt.
Myckey

Post by Myckey »

Has anyone changed over the gimbals on either the 9X or the 9X Pro? I can get either the Aurora 9 Gimbals or the Taranis Gimbals but without actually having the Gimbal in hand to measure and try it isn’t easy to see which would be the best/easiest to convert to.

It would seem to me (I have measured the Aurora gimbals) that either would fit although they might have to be glued in rather than screwed in, I’ve no problem with that. Might have to enlarge the faceplate diameter just a touch but that again is no issue.

Anyone else’s experience greatly received.

Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx/er9x developer
Myckey

Post by Myckey »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick answer but as far as I can see this all relates to a 9X case. I’m putting these in a 9XR Pro case which is quite a lot different, it actually looks as if it might be easier but difficult to tell until I try.

I was hoping that someone had actually successfully achieved this in a 9XR Pro case, if not then I’ll go down the Aurora route as I like their sticks and if all goes well post some pictures :D , if it doesn’t go well then I’ll probably just sulk :( .

Phil
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

As far as I know, neither the Taranis gimbals nor the Aurora gimbals fit the 9XR-PRO. it would be nice if they did

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

jhsa wrote:As far as I know, neither the Taranis gimbals nor the Aurora gimbals fit the 9XR-PRO. it would be nice if they did

João
The question has been raised a number of times and I don't recall any positive answers. I content myself with replacing Pro gimbals when they get a bit dodgy. At least they are cheap.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

As you have probably read on the forum I've replaced the pots on one of my 9x gimbals with magnets and hall sensors. Working good until now. I have some spare 9XR-PRO gimbals so I will probably try the same on this radio. My problem is that the PRO is my primary system at the moment. I think I will give it a try after I finish the little project I have been currently working on.. ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi João,
I pray you will purchase a Taranis and use erSky9x, with com2 for telemetry, with DJT/XJT external module
and need more then 8 channels with using D series receivers. ;) :mrgreen: :D :lol:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No, I don't like the Taranis. Held one in my hands and it just doesn't feel right.. Also don't like those horrible buttons.

I have more than enough radios. Was going to buy the Horus, but decided that I will have much more fun DIY'ing one last 9X. This time with S_Mack and Mike's new 9Xtreme board. I can easily see it becoming my main radio with all the possibilities that it offers. radio will get the taranis gimbals or some modified 9x gimbals with hall sensors if the board can supply 5V for the gimbals. I will have the wonderful rotary encoder I use already on all my 9X radios, which have some nice directional keys ;) And the possibility of probably installing some switches on the back of the radio as I have on one of my 9x radios.. This radio will be the sum of all the different features I have on all my other radios.. Plus the RGB backlight of course? Firmware will definitely be the great Ersky9x. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Sometimes I feel like the only people who are using ErSky9x on Taranis is Mike and myself.
We may be feeling lonely. ;) :mrgreen: :) :lol: :D :) :mrgreen: ;)

Bob B.
michel49

Post by michel49 »

I had some issues with the aileron stick: the cursor on the screen moved randomly; I disassembled the stick and inserted a bit of cleaning spray inside the pot. and now it works without failure...
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi michel49,
What is the Radio/Gimbals that you had the pot problem with ?

Bob B.

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”