Adding Bluetooth module

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
jhsa

Re: Adding Bluetooth module

Post by jhsa »

Mike, does this mean I will have to change the BT connection from COM3 to COM2 when/if the trainer over BT is implemented, or could I still use COM3 for that?

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Everything else is unchanged, this is just an extra option. I think it will be used if you have a different Tx module that handles telemetry, but you want the telemetry sent out over bluetooth to some other device (FPV?), and also want that other device to be able to send data the other way.
It's all just ways of routing data from one place to another.

This may help me get the BT trainer working as using it, I should be able to test commands to the BT module directly from my PC by routing COM2 to the BT module. This will make working out what I need to do much easier.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Great news.. Thank you so much..
Can't wait to testing the BT trainer ;) :) I guess my wife and neighbors will have to learn to fly whether they like it or not.. I will make sure they do.. :twisted: ;) :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Well I have been able to use the COM2<->BT connection to access the commands of the HC-05 BT module. With these, I have been able to 'discover' the BT module in the other 'PRO, and even find its name. So I have the HC-05 running in 'Master' mode.
So I should be able to come up with commands to find it and bind to it to enable communication.
I'll need to implement a 'bluetooth search' menu for discovering devices, so you can select one to which you wish to connect.
I think the module does keep a list, but I think I should keep the list myself. I'll put this list in the general radio settings.

For each model I think we need a "bluetooth role" setting (master or slave), and, if master, the bluetooth device for connection.
I also need to extend the "Bt Type" setting to include NONE for when there is no module fitted.

Slow, but some, progress!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike.. that is great.. From your previous post, I understand both COMs 2 and 3 will work the same? At least for trainer? So, it will be just a matter of selecting the right COM port in the fw?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

krisp

Post by krisp »

That's great news, I look forward to testing it. I had to switch back to DSMX until I can sort out antennas for my openlrs system and get back to testing bluetooth, but i expect it will work fine with mavlink.
nicolasmj

Post by nicolasmj »

so where do i get the code to add the bluetooth as a slave trainer only. I'm looking at doing a arduino head tracker and i want to bluetooth the three channels to my 9xr pro. is that something that is possible at this point? next question would be what type signal would i need to transmit over the bluetooth from the arduino?

thanks

Nick
rszasz

Post by rszasz »

Just adding that you can get a cable for the com3 socket at sparkfun, part number PRT-09916. Seems to fit fine and my HC-06 is working to forward the telemetry stream.
jimichunga

Bluetooth Control Module?

Post by jimichunga »

[Forgive me if this has been discussed, I searched this thread & site as well as google and could not find any pertinent information.]

I have a Flexbot which is bluetooth controlled via an app. My question is can the Taranis (w/ Bluetooth module) be used to control this little guy?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No. Supposing the connection was possible (haven't checked details) the specific control protocol would still have to be implemented.
elliott2

Post by elliott2 »

This may be a silly question but other then linking two transmitters together for training does adding a Bluetooth module to a 9XR PRO have any function? This is not a smart aleck question, I'm new to the radio and plan on adding Bluetooth to my Pixhawk and CC3D for tuning and mission uploads in the field and I saw where the 9XR Pro has a Bluetooth socket and was wondering what or how it could benefit me. I'm also curious about the encoder and it's function but I thought I would hold off on asking two silly questions at the same time. :-) Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tim
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A Bluetooth module has two/three other functions currently available.
1. Transmit the raw telemetry data over bluetooth.
2. Receive SBUS data from the eepskye simulator. This allows eepskye to actually control the servos normally controlled from the transmitter. Quite useful when editing a model on eepskye and wanting to check it works with the target model.
3. A feature I added mainly for getting the bluetooth module to work, a transparent data connection between COM2 and the bluetooth module. This might be useful if you have serial data coming in on COM2 and you want it sent out over bluetooth.

The encoder inputs allow you to add a rotary encoder (with switch) to provide an easier method of editing on the radio. The biggest problem is mechanically mounting the encoder, often this is done by replacing one of the pots with the encoder.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
idar66

Post by idar66 »

MikeB wrote:I've managed to get a HC-05 module installed in a 'PRO, and I have modified the code to make it start to work.
The connections are from the COM3 (Bluetooth) connector, 0V to 0V, 3.3V to 5.0V (erring on the side of caution), Tx to Rx and Rx to Tx. In addition, I have wired the ERASE signal to the KEY input. The HC-06 is physically located in the battery bay. I'm using a 6-cell NiMh pack, and this leaves an area on the right, not covered by the bay cover, for the module to be in.

With this setup, and the HC-05 still set as a slave device, the code successfully changed the baudrate to 115200, and then I enabled the "BT as trainer" option and successfully got data from eepskye on the Trainer menu.
I have also successfully routed telemetry data to the PC over the BT connection.

So I reckon support for both the HC-06 and the HC-05 is working in slave mode. This makes it worth installing a HC-05, ready for further enhancements.

Mike.
hi mike ive just got my hco5 bluetooth, do i need to cut tracks on vcc or can i just connect wires to headers normally, as the cut header post i saw was for extreme board but i do have the same bluetooth modual thats in that post, my bluetooth needs 3.6 volts min and six max will the
vcc supply enough power from pin on board, plz could you give me a step by step as i have no idea on how to set up modual to be ready for install, any help much appreciated idar
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I run my BT modules (HC-05 and HC-06) in the 'PRO from 3.3V. I believe, the BT part itself runs from 1.8V internally.
For the HC-05, you need to connect the COM3 connections to it, crossing Tx on the PRO to Rx on the module and Rx to Tx.
You also need to connect the signal ERASE (only used for that at power up), to the "pin 24 34" on the HC-05.
The first post shows the COM3 connections. A few posts later a post has a link to a diagram showing where the ERASE signal may be found.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi mike where is pin 24? theres a pin 34 in other diagrame, i connected to erase underneath board where power header is first pin closest to where sd card is and ive got it connected to rn on hc05, ive got no debug i cant even tell if its doing anything, the amount of different info is pulling my hair out, im running the latest 217 firmware normal do i need to upgrade my firmware if so where do i get the right one as everthing ive seen is for 9x extreme, plz can someone do a step by step for us not so on to it people like me lol, thanks idar
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi mike thanks for help heres a pic of my modual download/file.php?id=11344&mode=view
download/file.php?id=11345&t=1

plz can you take a look and tell me what i have to do to get running, ie do i copy what is pics above ie cutting tracks etc as the only thing i can see ive done different is i have not cut tracks and i have not soldered erase to the little button i have just plugged erase into the pins, i did unsolder the pinss and turned around so modual arieal faced out as ive fitted inside on other side of battery just like in photo in this forum, im really wanting to get this working so id really appreciate your help, thanks idar
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Oops, a typo, I meant pin 34.
You look to have seen João's description of how to mod the BT module, since you have got a picture from his 9Xtreme description.
You need to do the same mods to your module, then connect 3.3V, ground, Tx and Rx as I described and the ERASE signal to the pin labelled 'To 9XT pin "PA5" '.

r217 does support the BT connection I believe, although going here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676#p65894, and downloading and installing ersky9xr_rom.bin from ersky9xProvR218h.zip will get you the most recent code for BT.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Reading the last posts (and maybe I have missed it) I still don't understand what radio you have..
The 9xtreme has 5V readily available and is where I connect my BT module's VCC pin.
For the 9xtreme you need to look in the "my 9xtreme installation" thread. I will post a link here when I get to my PC.
You do need to cut that little track if you want to use the "EN" pin on the BT module. It might be possible not having to cut the track, but you can't use that pin.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

We are in a "Turnigy 9XR-PRO" thread!
So, I assumed 9XR-PRO!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
idar66

Post by idar66 »

i am talking about a 9xr pro your 9xtreme site had the same bluetooth modual, so i am in the right thread i hope
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ok. Did you see this?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7640

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi i looked at where you say to cut but my modual does not have a line going from vcc to en my bluetooth has same writing as one in jaoao post but my track thingees look abit different do i cut a little line through the vcc one, ill post a photo if i can, thanks for your help its been great, i ended up soldering a little wire between pin and little botton, i cheaked with muilti meter and it follows to pin 34 once the wire is there, so i hope thats right, now to work out where exactly to cut on my bluetooth modual then i should be away i hope
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi in photo do you cut where the green is or where the red is, cause if its the red i dont have a track going from there to an, im trying to upload a photo so i can show you
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi heres a couple of photos i hope you can tell me or show me where to cut trace thanks idar
Attachments
SAM_0757.JPG
SAM_0756.JPG
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, try this.. Let us know if it worked so I can update the other thread.

João
Attachments
BT connections 2_Don't use Pin.jpg

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

idar66 wrote:hi heres a couple of photos i hope you can tell me or show me where to cut trace thanks idar
This one is definitely different from mine even if the markings are the same..

Please post some good resolution pictures from the front and back of the module..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi jhsa i think i may have it, do i cut the en track, and then run a wire from back of small button to pin 34 that way it only gets power from the radio on reset, i think im right it makes sence i should have seen it earlier, plz reply asap as i want to get job finished i have radio apart waiting to go back together, thanks idar
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi there hope these are better, thanks heaps for your time, idar
Attachments
IMG_20151221_051530[1].jpg
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

idar66 wrote:hi jhsa i think i may have it, do i cut the en track, and then run a wire from back of small button to pin 34 that way it only gets power from the radio on reset, i think im right it makes sence i should have seen it earlier, plz reply asap as i want to get job finished i have radio apart waiting to go back together, thanks idar
I don't understand, You just posted photos showing that your module doesn't have the little track.. So, what track do you want to cut then? :o

Please do post good pictures of your module.. Both sides..

One of the pushbutton pads should already be connected to pin 34. see picture
Attachments
BT connections 2_measure.jpg

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
idar66

Post by idar66 »

yes ive done that and it does complete circut once i put wire on, so is that all i had to do dont i have to cut trace underneath?

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”