9XR Pro is Here

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
ShowMaster

Re: 9XR Pro is Here

Post by ShowMaster »

jhsa wrote:This was the problem I reported on the beta testers thread.. The one HK soldered the wires wrong to the futaba trainer port :(
he sorted it already..

João
I held off saying that until a wiring error was verified. On all pros or just a series? Wrong Futaba pins used or just reversed?
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The ground is already in the module through the main 5 Pin connector. You just need 2 wires.. TXD and RXD..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Plenty of ground from the the module bay ground pin. This also avoids any ground loop issues.
Personally I used red and white to avoid the black lead/ground confusion factor. I also removed the black wire pin from the connector. For further safety, I sanded down a 3 pin connector with just pin to make a 2 pin dummy plug. I plug it into the bottom 2 data port pins to fill them up. This hopefully prevents the telemetry servo connector from ever connecting to the gnd or +5 volt pins. The 3 pin telemetry connector will still plug in due to the extra opening space at the top. No damage if the connector is ever reversed and plugged in. I'm suggesting this to anyone that may exchange modules and forget what plugs in how.
Any club pros I help with will have this dummy plug added. It hopefully keeps my repair requests low.
SM

freduv

Post by freduv »

Yeah the problem got fixed by the time this message was approved. So sorry to cause you work.

I got it to work by flipping the connector on the module side. Just some random soldering by HK.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

freduv wrote:Yeah the problem got fixed by the time this message was approved. So sorry to cause you work.
No worries.. we have already been discussing your problem in a thread HK goes.. Good that you posted it here too ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

freduv wrote:Yeah the problem got fixed by the time this message was approved. So sorry to cause you work.

I got it to work by flipping the connector on the module side. Just some random soldering by HK.
Good news.
Greater news is you're not all alone buying the pro. Just post your issue and you'll usually get a DIY fix ASAP.
SM

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Just in case anyone wants to use the safety dummy plug idea of mine, here it is. A 2 wire TXD/RXD using 3 pin connector will still plug in above it ok. No harm if the 3 pin is flipped.

kendrick57

Post by kendrick57 »

Hi
Where do I go to find out how to connect the 9XR pro to my computer I want the same or similar facility's as I have with my taranis, firmware upgrades, model memory transfer to the computer manipulated in openTX or similar and then downloaded back to the Tx.
Kendrick

Edit:
I have searched more and found the answer to my own question in the 9XR PRO manuals thread
viewtopic.php?f=122&p=79483#p79483
Kendrick
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Okay -

I gave up waiting for the MB to be released as parts and placed my order; the $20 DHL EXpress shipping was too much of a temptation and both my current TX are full. I'm getting ready to order some bluetooth modules for various projects; are we expecting these to use the HC-05 set in Master mode or a HC-06-M? I have a good deal on HC-05s here in the States, and I'd like to pull the trigger before they go bye-bye.

mnem
Yes, ALREADY modding in my head...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

We will test the HC-05 as soon as Mike has some time to work on it. We just have to wait patiently ;) :)
The HC-06 works but it is maybe a little limited as with the other we could maybe get 2 radios to talk? This is only speculation at the moment of course. But it would be very nice :)
The 06 works already to receive the channels from eepskye into the trainer port for example.. you can use eepskye to program your model directly from the computer and see the model react in real time. With the 06 is also possible to send telemetry to an android device with one of the frsky compatible applications. Eepsky can also receive telemetry via bluetooth but not yet for model programming... as I said earlier, when Mike has time to work on it we might have some good surprises :D
No Mike, I'm not nagging.. :) I guess I'm losing my qualities :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kendrick57

Post by kendrick57 »

Hi
I read somewhere that with the xr9 pro you can have more than one 3 position switch but it is a DIY post sales job. Where do I get the switches from and which switches are able to be replaced. As a sorce of switches the taranis ones might work.
Kendrick
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If I'm not mistaken, you could replace 2 on each side. Mike can confirm (or not) it better.
On the left side you can first replace the ELE switch, and then one of the other 2. And on the right side you could replace the AIL and GEA switches..
I tried to get some taranis's switches but everywhere I looked they were not available or too expensive with postage..
I decided to buy the 9XR replacement switches from Hobbyking. They were available, cheap, but took over a month to arrive instead :)
I did replace the ELE switch only so I have 2 of them.. I don't like a jungle of 3 way switches like the taranis has, but that's me :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You can replace the ELE switch, followed by one other on that side, and ONE of AIL or GEA on the other.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ah, then I was wrong.. I thought we could replace both on the other side.. my bad, sorry.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

jhsa wrote:We will test the HC-05 as soon as Mike has some time to work on it. We just have to wait patiently ;) :)
The HC-06 works but it is maybe a little limited as with the other we could maybe get 2 radios to talk? This is only speculation at the moment of course. But it would be very nice :)
The 06 works already to receive the channels from eepskye into the trainer port for example.. you can use eepskye to program your model directly from the computer and see the model react in real time. With the 06 is also possible to send telemetry to an android device with one of the frsky compatible applications. Eepsky can also receive telemetry via bluetooth but not yet for model programming... as I said earlier, when Mike has time to work on it we might have some good surprises :D
No Mike, I'm not nagging.. :) I guess I'm losing my qualities :mrgreen:

João
For those of us who know how to configure the modules, where is documentation on setting the bluetooth up in software? :mrgreen:

Okay... I just looked at the big diagram again... for some reason, I misremembered the design as having the solder pad layout for a bare module already there. Since it doesn't, it won't matter which one I get as I'm going to have to build a wired module anyways. TTL TX/RX and PWR/GND are in the same place on the HC-05 and HC-06; however, the KEY button and the BIND/MODE LED are on different pads.

For those who are thinking about doing the Bluetooth thing, here's some starter information:

The HC-06 is popular because it's convenient; it comes preprogrammed with a limited featureset and comes up in AT/Command console mode every time it powers up, until it makes a radio link with another Bluetooth device. This means one doesn't need to have wiring for the KEY switch to be able to enter AT/Command Console Mode. Master and Slave models are available, but that mode is preprogrammed at the factory, and cannot be easily changed as it is hard-coded into the firmware and there's no easy means of re-flashing the module.

If you are using genuine Guangzhou HC modules, THERE IS NO HARDWARE DIFFERENCE between the families, only the firmware is different. HOWEVER, there are a number of "clone" or "associate" manufacturers who make a version of the HC-06 which is modified to reduce production costs.

The HC-05 is actually a much more capable module, but programming it is a lot more involved. Getting into AT/Command Console Mode can be difficult, and setting Master/Slave can also be.

If we're using the HC-06 already then the HC-05 can be programmed to work exactly the same, it's just more work. And like many such devices, the documentation is written by folks who speak Engrish... err, English as a second or third language.

For anyone interested, the Datasheet is here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... Ww&cad=rja

Be mindful that the following resources both use the module mounted on a breakout board which has a 5V-3.3V regulator, and crude level-shifter for connecting directly to an FTDI or Serial output from an Arduino. When I program bare modules, I use one of the breakout boards with wires soldered onto it. They're available all over eBay for approx $2 separate from the module.

DON'T get the module already on the breakout board planning to "just unsolder it and use the bare module later". If you need a bare module for your project (like this one, where the board is already configured for native 3.3V operation) GET THE BARE MODULE SEPARATELY and connect to the breakout board with wires. Once soldered directly to the breakout board, the module is VERY difficult to remove without damaging the tiny, super-thin solder lands. I know this from painful experience. :roll:

This page has a nice, simple entry-level rundown on connecting and configuring via an FTDI in Windoze:

and this page has some useful software for configuring the module (however the author is/was unaware that there are HC-06-M and HC-06-S variants available):

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/06/19/usin ... th-module/

Hope that helps!

mnem
*Wrong side again*
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Good info, thanks.. I have an HC-06 with breakout board installed in the battery bay. Normal users SHOULD NOT buy the module without the breakout board, as very fine soldering would be required.. walked away with my phone from the radio with the HC-06 more than 15 meters and it was still working.. The major point of trying to use the HC-05 is to possibly have a wireless trainer capability..
Maybe the configuration could be made by the radio firmware but that would mean one more free pin on the radio's processor.. or perhaps one that it is used for something else but could also be used when required to config the BT..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Well, no... I meant where is documentation for configuring the firmware for use with the Bluetooth? I know I'll need to configure the BT module myself outside the TX. I can experiment with the HC-05 in Master mode; if it works with the firmware as-is, great. Otherwise, I can set it to Slave mode until you guys finalize that part of the firmware.

Is that firmware a different, Beta build?

mnem
*Proactive-ily*
Last edited by mnementh on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I'm using the latest test version from 30th June here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676&p=65894#p65894

There is still no documentation because this is still not finished.

general settings menu, go to "General", there you can set the BT baudrate.

then go to the telemetry 2 menu, scroll to the end and there are a couple more options.. I think one is to send telemetry over BT and the other is BT as trainer..
As you can see there isn't still much ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Ahhh, you Answered while I was editing my post.

Thanks - i'll look into that build once my TX arrives.

As for the hardware...

No, you shouldn't use the module with a breakout board; the outputs off the mainboard are 3.3V (according to the labeling on the plug on the big wiring diagram) and the TTL breakout board needs 5V power and signal to work properly. The bare module isn't bad to solder to; the pads are all laid out in 1.5mm pin spacing, so you can just solder any popular 1.5mm pitch plug-in socket at a right angle to the edge of the module and have a plug-in solution, easy-peasy.

Or do like I do, and take standard Arduino-style 0.100" jumper wires & solder them direct to the edge of the module, so you can have a simple plug & play setup that's 3.3V ready. Really, it's pretty easy soldering. This is a module I made up for my old 9x when I was first experimenting with FRSLogger.

[EDIT] I know someone's gonna ask, so here's my color code:

RED: +3.3v IN
BLACK: GND
BLUE: STATUS LED OUT (+) NOTE 470Ω RESISTOR INLINE
WHITE: TX DATA (TTL)
GREY: RX DATA (TTL)

[/EDIT]

mnem
tzzzzzzt.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

well, I'm using the breakout board and it works really fine.. Actually on the page I bought it, they say that the levels are 3.3V and if using an arduino we must use a voltage divider on the RX pin. On the HC-06 I am even connecting the 3.3V from the radio to the 5V regulator input of the BT module.. Not a problem.. Over 15 meters at the field as I said.. Also I don't really think the normal user will be able to solder 1.5mm without taking the risk of damaging something. ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I too have an HC-06 on the breakout board, seems to work fine directly connected.
It looks like the commands to the '05 are different to those for the '06 as regard setting the baudrate.
In ersky9x, you set the baudrate you wish to run at. At power up, we poll the device at all the different baudrates until we get a response. If the baudrate is then not the one set, we change it to the one you have set.

It does look like the '05 will need an extra control signal. I'm looking to see if I can find one that will do the job!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike.. What do we need to tell The BT module? only to work as master or slave and the baudrate, correct?
In case we use it with another BT module the tx will also have to send the password for the pairing I guess..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Okay... I'm confused now as to the specification for the port on the board. Is it designed as 3.3V native? I'd prefer to use the bare module myself, if possible. It fits really nicely in the lower corner of the TX, as far away as possible from the TX module. The module on a breakout board has to be oriented upside-down, and I prefer to orient it horizontally.

For the HC-05 to operate in Master mode, you'll need to be able to pull the KEY pin high. If you do so while powering on and hold it high, you get the full HC-05 AT Command set and you can change admin-level stuff like the MODE. If you pull it high after it has initialized, it will go into AT Command mode, but only as long as you hold the KEY pin high, and only with a limited Command set. If you preprogram a reasonable BAUD rate, NAME and MODE, you should only need the latter to enter a PIN, which you'll also need code to manage.

Yeah, I know there are some folks who have trouble soldering to 0.100" pitch too... but I certainly am not one. ;)

mnem
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:Thanks Mike.. What do we need to tell The BT module? only to work as master or slave and the baudrate, correct?
In case we use it with another BT module the tx will also have to send the password for the pairing I guess..
Need some functions set its name, to make it discover other devices, need to be able to select which one to pair with etc... Which by experience with the HC-05 is quite a big mess to get to work.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

mnementh wrote:Okay... I'm confused now as to the specification for the port on the board. Is it designed as 3.3V native?
Yes it is. The 4-pin connector provides +3.3V, GND, and Tx and Rx serial, non-inverted, at 3.3V levels.
What is a pity is there doesn't seem to be a command to take it out of AT command mode and into communication mode. If there was, we could just tie the KEY pin high.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There are several possibilities for a signal to control the KEY input of the HC-05. What is available will depend on what else you are using, e.g. if not using the rotary encoder, then there are 3 pins available for something else!

I have 2 particular favourites at the moment.
1. We have a signal that can shutdown the audio amp. This was put in in case we had noise like the Taranis. Since we don't have such noise, this signal is potentially avalable. If R95 is removed, it becomes free. We will still need a pullup resistor on the KEY signal.
2. The ERASE signal! This is held LOW at power up to stop the chip erase, but is configurable in firmware to be an I/O pin. This would need a FET to invert it and a pullup resistor on the FET output.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hmmm... I wonder if the HC-06-M behaves the same as the HC-06-S; as in, it comes up in AT/Command mode until it establishes a link to another BT device?

The datasheet seems to suggest that it does.

I do not see the HC-06-M readily available on eBay; but there is a US vendor selling HC-05 bare modules in 5 piece lots for $23 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-TTL-HC-05 ... 338d974cbf

Those were the ones I was planning to get.

mnem
ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, what about a simple push button or even a switch installed on the back of the radio somewhere? The batt bay cover looks like a good candidate to me. That would avoid all that trouble at power on and you could just concentrate in configuring the thing. No more wires needed, correct? If what we need is just to set that pin high at startup when we need to configure it's state. If we don't need to change anything then we wouldn't have to press it, right?

Also, I can perfectly solder to those pins but we must think of those who can't. That makes most of the people. If there is an alternative to soldering we take it ;)
If you want to use the bare module, it should work as it is the same, so I can't see what the problem is :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

mnementh wrote:Okay... did I offend someone, or did they just put my last post in the moderation que because I included a link to an eBay listing in it?

[EDIT] Must be the latter. OK; I'm off to bed & hope my post is approved when I wake up.

Peace!

[/EDIT]

mnem
ZZZzzzZZZzzz...
No, your post seems to be there.
Ah, these forums are not the kind of place where we offend each other.. that and spam is what we fight heavily here. We like a good laugh and a good beer here, and we are all friendly people ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Having to manually press a button at the right moment everything you want to change a BT setting wouldn't really be very convenient and clean...

Envoyé de mon SM-G900F en utilisant Tapatalk

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”