9XR Pro with XJT - Firmware Updates?

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
OSUengineer

9XR Pro with XJT - Firmware Updates?

Post by OSUengineer »

Hello all, first off I apologize for my ignorance - I don't have an in-depth understanding of the transmitter or firmware.

I have a 9XR Pro that I run with an XJT module. The module is no longer compatible with their current lineup of receivers without a firmware update.

My first question is, if I update the firmware on the XJT do I also need to update the firmware on the 9XR Pro?

My second question is, how do you update the firmware on these items? Is there a simple step-by-step guide out there that is easy to follow that someone could point me to?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: 9XR Pro with XJT - Firmware Updates?

Post by MikeB »

Just update the XJT, no need to update the 9XR-PRO.

Download the XJT firmware (should be a .frk file, but you may need to extract this from a .zip file) and put it on the SD card of the 'PRO in the "firmware" directory.

Have the XJT plugged in.
Power on the 'PRO holding the two horizontal trims APART, this starts it in "Maintenance mode".
Select "Update SPort"
Select the file to flash to the XJT (needs a LONG press of MENU).
Turn the power switch off, this turns off power to the XJT, but the 'PRO will remain running.
Confirm you wish to flash.
The display should show "Finding Device".
Now turn the power switch back on.
The XJT should now be flashed (takes quite a long time, wait for the progress bar to fill).
Use EXIT to get back to the main Maintenance menu, then turn the power off.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Jamaha

Post by Jamaha »

I have the same hardware, the turnigy 9xR pro with the XJT module.
I like to flash the XJT module to the newest version.
But i can't reach the maintenance mode.
Bootloader V1.0

Also Eepe can't connect to my radio...

How i that possible

Marco
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What version of erskyTx do you have installed (Radio Setup|Version menu)?

When you plug the USB into the radio, make sure you push quite hard. The connector on the 'PRO has a very positive "click" when the USB connector becomes fully in place.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
OSUengineer

Post by OSUengineer »

MikeB wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:20 pm Just update the XJT, no need to update the 9XR-PRO.

Download the XJT firmware (should be a .frk file, but you may need to extract this from a .zip file) and put it on the SD card of the 'PRO in the "firmware" directory.

Have the XJT plugged in.
Power on the 'PRO holding the two horizontal trims APART, this starts it in "Maintenance mode".
Select "Update SPort"
Select the file to flash to the XJT (needs a LONG press of MENU).
Turn the power switch off, this turns off power to the XJT, but the 'PRO will remain running.
Confirm you wish to flash.
The display should show "Finding Device".
Now turn the power switch back on.
The XJT should now be flashed (takes quite a long time, wait for the progress bar to fill).
Use EXIT to get back to the main Maintenance menu, then turn the power off.

Mike
I'm just now attempting this, when you say it takes quite a long time can you give an estimate. I followed the instructions exactly, and the bar fills about 20% after a few minutes and just sits there indefinitely after that. I've been waiting nearly 30 minutes and it has not moved since.

**And now I really screwed something up. I updated the bootloader to the file that was already on my SD card, then clicked update SPort and now when I turn my TX on just a blank blue screen with nothing on it. Can get into maintenance or bootloader mode anymore, just blank blue backlit screen. This is why I was afraid to do this, stuff like this just never seems to be straight forward for me, always 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The update to the XJT might take 2 or 3 minutes.

If you plug in the USB with power off, then turn power on, do you get any USB device appearing on the computer?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
OSUengineer

Post by OSUengineer »

MikeB wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:32 am The update to the XJT might take 2 or 3 minutes.

If you plug in the USB with power off, then turn power on, do you get any USB device appearing on the computer?

Mike
I was not using a USB device, I was updating the XJT firmware using the 9xr only. Whatever happened the 9xr is completely unusable now, the unit powers on and the screen is backlit but there is no display whatsoever, just a blank blue backlit screen. Can't enter in maintenance or bootloader mode either. Pretty sure the radio is toast...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Go here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5575
and look at the file: 9XR Pro Using SAM-BA to restore bricked Tx 2014-02-12.pdf

This should get you radio back working.

I was asking you to try connecting the radio to your computer and see if it is detected.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”