Orange DSM2/ DSMX flashing to Multi

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
antlerhanger

Orange DSM2/ DSMX flashing to Multi

Post by antlerhanger »

So I Have tried to flash 2 orange modules one was like the one on page 2 of the flashing orange modules and the other is a blue . I can get the bootloader loaded on both according to the light changing to 1 flash a second..But no joy on getting the multi to flash . I have the files on my pro ..Both hex and bin..Tried inverted and non..I'm at a loss..I've read every post on Mikes flashing orange module .All I get when I try to flash is failed ..I am running the latest test version on my radios so they are up to date..Any help would be appreciated as I now have 2 bricked modules

Thanks
Allen

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Orange DSM2/ DSMX flashing to Multi

Post by MikeB »

For the blue module, you may need to add a wire to the bottom pin of the module connector, see the file "pdiflashing.pdf" for a picture of where the wire goes.
For the green module, check resistors are fitted in positions R1 and R13.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

On my blue module I cut the track and added the wire as stated in pdiflashing doc..I did this before I ever tried to flash..On the green module r1 and r 13 are installed ..I am doing something wrong

Allen
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are you using the option in "maintenance mode" to flash the module?
If so, you could try the "app" accessible from the bootloader.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

Yes I am using Maintenace mode to flash . I'm rereading the whole thing again . When I use the pro mini to load the bootloader the light changes to one flash per second . I then installed module and tried to flash but failed every time. I hooked clock and data pins to 9xr pro pins along with ground and power connected to main socket on module . setup that way xmega will flash but module won't bind to anything . The light will blink once per second . IF I push bind on startup it will just stay on solid. Proto is multi . The same I use on my multimodules . It has no version next to bind . If I create a new model it will have it until I try to bind then it disappears .
Tis is on the blue module and the green
Thanks
Allen

antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

So I reflashed it. If I turn on the radio the module flashes and have the correct file in proto bind . If I select bind it tries for one second then goes back to proto screen .If I push bind button on module at boot up the light stays on solid and I dont have the correct file showing next to bind in proto screen .I tried different multi dms settings . I've tried several rx and all is the same . I can go to debug screen and the bottom right number is 502 and to the left of it is numbers that are counting up I believe
when I say reflashed it was with xmega option
Thanks
Allen
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

I guess I will give up on getting this module to bind . I have 2 other modules I was going to flash multi but I am 0 for 2 on these things .I know it is something I am doing ..Time to move on

Thanks
Allen
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

After flashing the bootloader using an Arduino, you then need to use the "Update Multi" option, not the "XMEGA" option. I think using the XMEGA option may disable the bootloader, although the flashed code should then work.
The module should be sending the firmware revision, and something is being received as indicated on the DEBUG screen. If there is nothing on the protocol screen, try changing the inversion setting for COM1. Also check thet the "Telem COM Port" is set to 1. I have COM Port INVERT set to NONE.

If you do have a firmware revision besing BIND, what is it?

Have you have flashed from files posted here, or have you downloaded the sources and built the latest in the Arduino IDE?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

I flashed the bootloader and the Arduino was blinking once per second . I used only the files from here nothing else . I then used update multi hex and bin. inverted yes and no . I only did the xmega at the end just to see what would happen . And it flashed .. Debug bottom right is 502 and just to the left of it counts up . So that is correct Telem com port set to 1 ,invert none ..When I turn on radio module is flashing once per second ..Revision next to bind is 1.1.6.17 so I need to flash latest...Here is the kicker.. If I try to bind from proto screen , I select bind and it tries for one second, blinks then shows the proto screen again..If I turn on radio while holding bind button on module ,light will stay solid and no telem in debug and no revision next to bind in proto menu…disapears..My proto settings are just what you have posted on here using multi . It's the same as my other multi modules I use except I've tried auto bind on and off and auto detect dsm..

Thanks
Allen
Last edited by antlerhanger on Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

I'm had cut the trace next to the outside pin then connected the wire to the pin next to it . I 220 ohm on outside pin like you stated .. I just checked the second pin with the wire removed and I get the same . from bottom pin to Data main connector . Which is actually the top slot when you install it on radio..So I will check the trace again to make sure it is cut
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just checked with a module that has 1.1.6.20 on it and if I select BIND it does stay in bind mode.
The bind button on the module now keeps the module in the bootloader, it doesn't do the bind operation.

Please search on here for how to do "Raw Logging", then create a raw log file including while trying to bind, then post the file (zipped) here.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

If I push the bind button in on startup it won't do anything . Debug screen is all zero's ..If I boot up and I don't push bind button , The light on the module will flash Once per second..Then if I go to proto screen it will have telemetry flashing n/a and 1.1.6.20 beside bind ..If I push bind..It blinks 1 second then back to proto screen..When I push bind on startup I also have no 1.1.6.20 beside bind and no N/A beside telemetry in proto. I am thinking the module just may be defective. The second button on module may be defective (Unsure) . Anyway I know you are busy so I think I will move on to a green Module I have ..I know it's in working order so I'll attempt to flash it.

Thanks Mike for all your help
Allen
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The LED on the module may flash on power up to start with, but should then go solid, indicating it is receiving valid control data and is a supported protocol in the module.

If you have N/A showing, it indicates the module doesn't support the selected protocol. As well as selecting "MULTI" as the "proto", have you selected "DSM" as the "Protocol" (needed as the module also supports "Devo"). For the "Type", if you select "AUTO" then the actual type and number of channels will be filled in when the bind completes.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

Yes Multi DSM ..Under that I have tried dsm2 11ms and 22 and dsmx 11 and 22 as well as auto ,,,Unless I push bind on module at start up the module just blinks , even if I try ro bind it tries for 1 second then back to proto screen..If I push bind at startup I get nothing in proto or debug..Telemetry is set for dsm com1 non inverted,tried both ways tho
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Power up normally and make sure you have the firmware revision showing. This confirms the module is operating and sending data.
Beside the text "Protocol DSM", do you have "N/A" flashing? If so the module firmware is not recognising the control data. Try changing to "Devo" and see if the N/A disappears.
I think you need more recent firmware on the module.

Here is 1.1.6.22 I've just found I already have built. Since 1.1.6.20 seems to be working on the module I have, this should work.

Mike
Attachments
MultiOrangeP1_1_6_22.zip
(32.42 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
erskyTx/er9x developer
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

Yes beside the proto DSM N/A flashing....Tried it with Devo ...Still flashing n/a...Went down to bind F/w revision there ..selected bind tried for one second then back to same screen..I will try to flash 1.1.6.22 zip You posted ..I will probably have to use xmega to do it ..I'll try with bootloader ..On the bootloader sketch .I'm using pdimini only to upload to pro mini..There are 2 more there the h and another one but I only upload the pdi mini
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

If the second switch is bad as in it doesn't click or move wouldn't that prevent it from binding? If it is actually stuck down like you were pushing it..I cant tell because it wont move either way . But I will update module

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”