Banggood 4in1 module, Flysky AFHDS2A and Telemetry

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
Sterling101

Banggood 4in1 module, Flysky AFHDS2A and Telemetry

Post by Sterling101 »

I've just received my 4 in 1 module this morning from Banggood and have successfully upgraded it to the latest release firmware. All good and can bind and communicate with my test IA6B receiver. My 9XR pro is running the latest R221f7 test release.
However, I seem to be struggling to work out how to get any telemetry information to be displayed.

I know the telemetry is working as if I start to disconnect the receiver I get a "telemetry warning" but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the RSSI values and ideally the lipo voltage sensor information to pass through so I can work with alarms and displaying the information on screen. If I go into the range check RSSI is always at 0 and never changes. I've tried cycling through the different telemetry protocols in the telemetry screen but that doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

I've checked in the manual, but sadly this release is a world apart from what is in the manual and it generally doesn't add up and searches on the forum forcibly ignore the word telemetry it seems.

So, is there any pointers anyone can give so I can have a go at actually trying to get this to work properly?
Leigh

Current Kit:-
Taranis X9D plus running ErSkyTx - main radio.
Turnigy 9XR-Pro with internal FrSky DHT Module - used on the simulator.
Retired radios:-
Turnigy i10 with FlySky receivers.
Turnigy I6 - My first Tx now just used on Quads.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Banggood 4in1 module, Flysky AFHDS2A and Telemetry

Post by MikeB »

Did you build the firmware yourself, and if so, did you enable "INVERT_TELEMETRY"?
If you don't have "INVERT_TELEMETRY", try going to the telemetry menu and changing "Com Port Invert" to 1.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Hi Mike,

No, I used the prebuilt 1.1.6 binary (from the repo https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... e/releases) and flashed it successfully.
I've tried inverting COM1 but still nothing from any of the values at all.
I was hoping at least that I could get the rx voltage (which should be about 6v as I'm running it on a 4x AA battery pack for testing) and signal strength but if I go into the telemetry screen All the values read 0 and never change. On the debug screen, with the telemetry protocol as FrHub I see the TelRxCount zipping by so I'm guessing that means that data is being received?
What is the correct protocol for the telemetry on an AFHDS2A receiver by the way? Would the FrHub work ok as the telemetry sensors work in a similar way to the FrSky hubs?
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That's nearly a year old, I'm not sure the AFHDS2A telemetry works on that one.
I've just noticed a problem with DSM telemetry on "f7", so you might try flashing the radio with "f4" (simply because I was testing with that version and the DSM telemetry was OK).

Which 4-in-1 module do you have, the STM processor one or the AVR processor one?
Leave the "Usr Proto" as "Frsky" as the telemetry type is then detected from the Multi module protocol settings.

I think you will need to update the firmware on the module to something more recent.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

This is the module I've got - https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500-NR ... rehouse=CN

Supposed to be the latest STM version hardware.

I've flashed the radio to 221R4 and I'll have a go at compiling the latest source for the module. Hopefully it'll start shoving some data through then. Will post back once I've got those done...
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

OK, rebuilt the module firmware to 1.1.6.43 and flashed it successfully.

Still nothing from the telemetry though sadly. Both inverted and not. Debug still shows the counter going up but it's refusing to display anything other than flashing zeros :(
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try turning "Raw logging" on and creating a raw log file of the telemetry data (10 seconds worth), then zip it up and post it for me to look at.
I don't have any AFHDS2A hardware so I can't test anything.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Here you go Mike.

I did for some reason just get a "telemetry lost" error and the RxV held at 0 for a second just before I set the log going but it seemed to be counting up ok so I'm guessing it logged it afterwards.
Fixed_Wing-2017-12-16-230049.zip
(389 Bytes) Downloaded 438 times
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, you are receiving FrSky telemetry, not AFHDS2A.
What protocol do you have set in the protocol menu? You need "Multi", not PPM, with the dial on the module set to 0.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

I've got multi selected in the protocol with afhds2a and pwm_ibus as the sub types. Dial is at 0 and it's all bound and working fine as far as control goes of the two servo's I've got connected to the rx as a test.

I've got the telemetry UsrProto setting as FrSky in the telemetry menu - doesn't seem to change much if I change that though.
Telem Com Port is set to 1 and I have it inverted but again, nothing changes if it's inverted or not it seems.
Strange how it's receiving what seems to be the wrong packets though...
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

In case it's useful, I've exported the model settings and zipped them up. Might be easier to spot something then hopefully.
Fixed Wing.zip
(684 Bytes) Downloaded 426 times
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Think I may have found the problem thanks to stumbling across this post - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... count=9769

I hadn't changed the Rate in the multi settings to T-Rate - I've done that and suddenly I have received telemetry!

Still seems a little bit up and down (after around 10 minutes of being sat at 75 on the Rx RSSI it suddenly dropped to around 40 and then jumped between 0, 45, 40 10 etc. It only stabilised after I pulled the power from the receiver and plugged it back in. Straight back up to 75 again.

Only other strange part is using one of the FS-AVT01 voltage sensors. If I don't have the sensor plugged in the RxV shows a nice steady 4.9v - basically BEC output. If I have the sensor in it jumps to 33.6 volts and holds there regardless of battery (tested with 2S and 3S). Might be not able to understand the telemetry throughput from that sensor in the R221F4 firmware I suspect.

Edit: Ignore that bit above - it was my wiring causing a negative voltage into the sensor and the telemetry couldn't decipher it.

But, I am still getting the strange problems of it dropping the link it seems for some reason. This seems to happen randomly but I have a raw log of the telemetry as it was losing signal this time so if it would help with diagnosis I will upload it.
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

OK, last update for this evening.

RSSI maxes out at 75 regardless of how close the receiver is to the transmitter. I would have thought at least 90 would be showing if it was working correctly.

I left the Tx sat about 10 feet from the Rx for around 20 minutes an nothing moved or interrupted the signal at all and suddenly the RSSI was fluctuating badly between the high 40's and 0. Obviously the RxV dropped out in sync with it losing the signal and the "Telemetry Lost" error was played each time it dropped down.

I'm using the external antenna on the multi board but the problem occurs whether the antenna is connected or not. Doesn't seem to make any difference at all but at these sort of ranges that's exactly what I'd expect to see.

I've tried moving between firmwares (f4, f6 & f7) and the results are identical.

I may get a chance to test longer range signal strength in the coming days but so far I'm not having much luck with the set up. I've attached the raw log file as the system was dropping out anyway and a csv log of it dropping out then restoring again. Strangely it will after a few minutes sometimes stabilise and the rssi returns to 75 and the tssi up to around 240 and it's fine again for a while until it drops again.
I've got no idea if it's the module at fault or the Tx though - only 2 weeks into this setup so I'm rather new to the whole system...
Fixed_Wing-2017-12-17-221450.zip
(742 Bytes) Downloaded 427 times
Fixed_Wing-2017-12-17-223622.csv
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Leigh

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yesterday, we found a quite big problem compiling multi for STM32 modules. Which module do tou have,?
When did you updated it, if you did?
Did.you compile the multi code yourself? If so, using the arduino IDE?
The problem we found caused the link to drop for a second or so every few minutes. Could it be the problem ypu are seeing?
In my case, with frsky receivers, the Led light on the rx blinks, servo jitters and stop moving for a second, and then link comes back and light is on solid.

Ahh, do not turn your RF modules ON without antenna. That can damage them badly by destroying the PA/LNA chip (Power Amplifier).

João

EDIT: I have just read a few posts back and found out you do have the STM32 module and that you compiled the multi firmware for it. Please do not fly with it. You are seeing the problem I reported above. Wait a couple more days for the problem to be fixed. Meanwhile I can compile it for you if you tell me the options you use, as I fixed the problem on my arduino IDE.
If you want you can PM me your config file..

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Yes I compiled yesterday from the github clone using the Arduino IDE so you may be right about that being the problem.
This is the board I have...

https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500-NR ... rehouse=CN
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

jhsa wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 pm Yesterday, we found a quite big problem compiling multi for STM32 modules. Which module do tou have,?
When did you updated it, if you did?
Did.you compile the multi code yourself? If so, using the arduino IDE?
The problem we found caused the link to drop for a second or so every few minutes. Could it be the problem ypu are seeing?
In my case, with frsky receivers, the Led light on the rx blinks, servo jitters and stop moving for a second, and then link comes back and light is on solid.

Ahh, do not turn your RF modules ON without antenna. That can damage them badly by destroying the PA/LNA chip (Power Amplifier).

João

EDIT: I have just read a few posts back and found out you do have the STM32 module and that you compiled the multi firmware for it. Please do not fly with it. You are seeing the problem I reported above. Wait a couple more days for the problem to be fixed. Meanwhile I can compile it for you if you tell me the options you use, as I fixed the problem on my arduino IDE.
If you want you can PM me your config file..
I just went with all protocols, non inverted so essentially a full build with no changes to the config.
Definitely won't be flying until I'm properly happy with the reliability but if you could do a compilation for me it would be great to test it out.
Leigh

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, I will.build it for you after a few hours sleep :) you use Ersky9x, right? On the 9XR-PRO?

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

jhsa wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:32 am Ok, I will.build it for you after a few hours sleep :) you use Ersky9x, right? On the 9XR-PRO?

João

Yep, Ersky9x on the 9XR-Pro.

Thanks again for your help with this - was starting to tear my hair out with it...
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Have downloaded v1.1.6.45 and compiled/flashed onto the module.

So far so good though - RSSI steady at 75, TSSI at around 247 after rebinding and rebooting my 9XR-Pro Tx and FS-IA6b Rx (before rebooting it wasn't able to maintain the link and RSSI was below 40).

Still confused as to why the RSSI tops out at 75 and goes no higher ever. Might be a scaling thing with the AFHDS2A receivers maybe? Hard to compare with my i10 transmitter as the RSSI runs at -60dbm and increases as the single quality degrades so seems to be inverted compared to the 9XR's set up with the new firmware.

For now though we'll see how it pans out and if the link stays stable enough to throw it in a plane for testing (probably be a quick and dirty quick build to be on the safe side).
Leigh

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

s***, completely forgot you, I'm so sorry.. A bit busy here.. Do you still want me to build the firmware for you?

I do apologize :(

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

jhsa wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:43 am s***, completely forgot you, I'm so sorry.. A bit busy here.. Do you still want me to build the firmware for you?

I do apologize :(

João
No problems. The build I did seems to be working well now. Did a test for over two hours last night without any problems it seems.
Will try and set up a range test tonight to see how far out it works but it seems pretty good so far!
May have to build a quick and dirty plane to test it with...
Leigh

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, I think they might have fixed it.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Certainly seems to be pretty stable now.

Still need to get my head around the RSSI values and figure out why it never goes above 75 but little bits are coming together :)
Leigh

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Nice :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Interesting to compare the system to my Flysky/Turnigy i10 which being touch screen is a joy to use. The 9XR-Pro seems a lot more powerful but takes more work to get it exactly how you want it. Once I'm happy with the reliability and range though I'll start to migrate my models over and start to get things in place and set up how I want them.

Now on to do some reading about the script language Mike came up with so I can have a set screen for telemetry across all the models and do some more digging on how the telemetry is handled from the AFHDS2A receivers...
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Still working on root cause but occasionally it seems the telemetry stream doesn't initialise properly when the Rx is powered up. This is with the module upgraded to v1.20 and the Tx to R220F8.

If I have the Tx on first (as per best practice) and power up the Rx it will sometimes flick between low telemetry and nothing until I switch off the Tx and power it back on again. Once I do that the link is good and stable.

I'm wondering if it's a problem with the module not syncing up the serial telemetry stream properly or something else causing it - but as I said I need to try and make it repeatable at every occurrence.

And suggestions very welcome though.
Leigh

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have it running, but the telemetry is not right, try doing a raw logfile so I can see what is being received.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:48 pm If you have it running, but the telemetry is not right, try doing a raw logfile so I can see what is being received.

Mike.
Will do once it plays up again. It's behaving at the minute on every test typically - as soon as it plays up I'll get a raw log though.
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:48 pm If you have it running, but the telemetry is not right, try doing a raw logfile so I can see what is being received.

Mike.
OK, I managed to get it to fail over and got it to log it.

Tried moving the radio in relation to the receiver and altering the receiver antennas but still no change.

Powered off the receiver and transmitter and powered them up again and all ok.

Here's the raw log file as it was failing over anyway.
Fixed_Wing-2017-12-23-212812.zip
(714 Bytes) Downloaded 330 times
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Just tried on the off chance another logging session.

Tx on and log started then Rx powered up. Went for quite a long time before any telemetry was received at all and then it was very low. At this point I did a test to see if the servo's I have connected to this Rx were active and they do seem to be but they are very notchy like the signal is being received in chunks rather than a smooth stream.
At the end of the test I cycled the power to the Rx and the telemetry and servo control returned to normal.
I then stopped the logging so here's that file. Probably a couple of minutes worth I'd guess.
Fixed_Wing-2017-12-24-010011.zip
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Leigh

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”