[SUPPORT] OpenLRSng support thread

Support and help for the OpenLRSng project.

Moderator: kha

ccrbs

Re: [SUPPORT] OpenLRSng support thread

Post by ccrbs »

Kilrah wrote:Your hardware might have a problem causing the PC's TX signal never to arrive to the module's processor. Don't know what else could cause that. Better check all solder joints and connectors.

I have the problem same as Highjack's. Checked the hardware, I am sure the solder joints and connectors are correct. Anyone can give me the help? Thanks.
Highjack wrote:Hi every one,

I just bought orangerx TX and RX, I'm struggling to configure them with the configurator...

Here is what I did:
And I always get the following error messages when trying to connect:
[tab=30]10:01:11 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 1
[tab=30]10:01:22 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
[tab=30]10:01:22 -- Serial port successfully closed

And those messages when trying to update firmware:
[tab=30]10:02:27 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 3
[tab=30]10:02:31 -- Connection to the module failed
[tab=30]10:02:31 -- Serial port successfully closed

help would be appreciated, what am I doing wrong ?

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Hi,
I'm having problems with telemetry on OpenLRSng.
I have it successfully set on my Taranis with both D4R and X6R (using s-port), using FRSKY protocol (with Harakiri on a Flip32 with signal inverter or a Naze32 without) or Mavlink with a Mavlink to FRSKY converter board (a flashed Pro Mini). The converter works also with an APM.
I did the mod shown in the Wiki for a 1W OrangeTx UHF. After that it would not connect to the serial port in the OpenLRSng Google chrome app ... I desoldered the transistor + 3 X 1K resistors and could connect again ... (even with out the R2 resistor ...).
Then I figured that I could invert the signal between the Flight controller and the receiver (the same way I do with the FRSKY receivers) using the FRSKY protocol ... no go. I tried many settings on the Tx Module : FRSKY, FRSKY smartport, 8 ch , 12 ch ... I tried the Mavlink protocol with the converter board (no signal inversion) ... I fed 3,3v devices to the Tx and RX pins on the OrangeTX ... nothing.
Does anyone have a working setup ... and perhaps can tell me what I'm doing wrong ? :shock:

Chris
ccrbs

Post by ccrbs »

I am crazing on openlrsng configuration on my OrangeRX.

I ordered TX and RX from Hobbbyking : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... eiver.html

I used SPI port with USBASP to upgrade FW to 3.7.3. For TX 1W module and I have used terminal monitor to see the Module output and get "OpenLRSng starting 3.7.3 on HW 2". Everything look good, but using Chrome configuration tool, it can not connect it: Start message not received within 10 second, disconnecting. Binding TX and RX is OK, install the 9XR PRO(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... dule_.html) and connect to the CC3D (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... rized.html). Whenever using any channel, I can not test control input on CC3D.

I tried to upgrade FW both TX-2.hex and TX-2-bl.hex, the problem is the same. I am a newest on openLRSng, anyone can help me to configure the TX and RX module. Many thanks in advance!

By the way, I do not know how to attach the picture.
ccrbs

Post by ccrbs »

Kilrah wrote:
Highjack wrote:
  • First I had no ftdi so I use USBASP to upload the latest firmware to tx & rx
If you flashed the openLRSng hex file using an usbasp you'll have wiped the arduino bootloader off the board. Not sure if it is needed to use the serial functions, but that could be a pointer.
Does it mean I have to burn bootloader in first then burn FW in arduino? Please advise me detail. Thanks.
kha

Post by kha »

ccrbs wrote:
Kilrah wrote:
Highjack wrote:
  • First I had no ftdi so I use USBASP to upload the latest firmware to tx & rx
If you flashed the openLRSng hex file using an usbasp you'll have wiped the arduino bootloader off the board. Not sure if it is needed to use the serial functions, but that could be a pointer.
Does it mean I have to burn bootloader in first then burn FW in arduino? Please advise me detail. Thanks.
If you flash the -bl version of the image it contains both bootloader and openlrsng. Notably the included boitloader is optiboot so fuses should be set according to that.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

ccrbs

Post by ccrbs »

kha wrote:
If you flash the -bl version of the image it contains both bootloader and openlrsng. Notably the included boitloader is optiboot so fuses should be set according to that.
Thanks.

I have fixed my problem. Actually, I ordered a FTDI USB-TTL and connect successful after connect TX, RX, 3.3V and DTR to the module. And I found that connection fail took place if did not connect DTR, which took me long time(I followed the following connection instruction.) So I think DTR is not option, it is needed in both flashing and not flashing.

Connect wrote: The following connections must be made between the device and USB-Serial adapter:

Ground
TX
RX
If you are flashing the device, an additional pin is required: (optional if simply changing settings)

DTR
The device will also require a power connection. Transmitters may be powered by the radio as normal, and receiver may be powered by a BEC on the servo pins as normal. If your USB-serial adapter provides 3.3 volts, you may connect that to the power pin on the programming header instead. (Note that Hawkeye transmitters must be powered by the radio)
wrecknz69

Post by wrecknz69 »

I'm not having any luck getting the configurator to connect to any of my openlrs devices.

First one is a flytron v2 RX. I get this when connecting using the configurator:
13:25:36 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 29
13:25:37 -- Module - Waiting bind
13:25:38 -- Module - Entering normal mode with PPM=1
13:25:46 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
13:25:46 -- Serial port successfully closed

This with an orangeRX
13:24:39 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 27
13:24:50 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
13:24:50 -- Serial port successfully closed

This with a flytron 1w TX
13:23:23 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 26
13:23:25 -- Module - Loaded settings from EEPROM
13:23:34 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
13:23:34 -- Serial port successfully closed

I can't update the firmware on any of them (they're currently running a FW which is over a year old), and I have tried powering them with 5v via the servo rail, but get no change in the behaviour.

I've also tried two computers and two FTDI cables (both 3.3v). Does anyone have a solution? Thanks
kha

Post by kha »

wrecknz69 wrote:I'm not having any luck getting the configurator to connect to any of my openlrs devices.

First one is a flytron v2 RX. I get this when connecting using the configurator:
13:25:36 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 29
13:25:37 -- Module - Waiting bind
13:25:38 -- Module - Entering normal mode with PPM=1
13:25:46 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
13:25:46 -- Serial port successfully closed

This with an orangeRX
13:24:39 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 27
13:24:50 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
13:24:50 -- Serial port successfully closed

This with a flytron 1w TX
13:23:23 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 26
13:23:25 -- Module - Loaded settings from EEPROM
13:23:34 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
13:23:34 -- Serial port successfully closed

I can't update the firmware on any of them (they're currently running a FW which is over a year old), and I have tried powering them with 5v via the servo rail, but get no change in the behaviour.

I've also tried two computers and two FTDI cables (both 3.3v). Does anyone have a solution? Thanks
You need to update firmware for it to connect.

You do not need to connect fir upgrading firmware, instead open firmware uodater.

As you are using very old fw auto update won't work so select proper hw type, connect board with ftdi and click flash.

wrecknz69

Post by wrecknz69 »

kha wrote:
You need to update firmware for it to connect.

You do not need to connect fir upgrading firmware, instead open firmware uodater.

As you are using very old fw auto update won't work so select proper hw type, connect board with ftdi and click flash.

Thanks, that got the two flytron units updated. However the Orange still fails to flash:

00:17:55 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 38
00:17:56 -- Chip recognized as ATmega328P
00:17:56 -- Erasing EEPROM
00:18:04 -- Writing to flash
00:18:06 -- STK500 - Timed out, programming failed
00:18:06 -- Serial port successfully closed
gibsy

Post by gibsy »

Two Questions:
1. I've looked in the code and found the microrx eagle file.. When is that thing going to happen? is there any shop? Since i rarely use the servo-outputs that thing would be perfekt for many of my builds..

2. I'am modifying the code for my own project and was designing an ABSOLUT minimum bandwith mod to controll a flying wing and provide artificial horizon & gps to the groundstation. i dicovered that i could put all my up and downlink information in 4 byte packages (instead of 8+ in your telemetry system).. Have you any thougts/experience on how the reduced packed size might affect range? Or do you know about some limitations of the HW that make such optimization pointless?

Thank you very much!
kha

Post by kha »

gibsy wrote:Two Questions:
1. I've looked in the code and found the microrx eagle file.. When is that thing going to happen? is there any shop? Since i rarely use the servo-outputs that thing would be perfekt for many of my builds..
It is not currently being manufactured, however a slightly bigger board '4ch remix' should be available soon. https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/4P3sGXTx
gibsy wrote: 2. I'am modifying the code for my own project and was designing an ABSOLUT minimum bandwith mod to controll a flying wing and provide artificial horizon & gps to the groundstation. i dicovered that i could put all my up and downlink information in 4 byte packages (instead of 8+ in your telemetry system).. Have you any thougts/experience on how the reduced packed size might affect range? Or do you know about some limitations of the HW that make such optimization pointless?
There is quite a bit of overhead on the packet other than the actual payload so the benefit of removing bytes is not that big, I think you could use the 4+4 mode which only uses 7 byte payload (vs 11bytes with 8 full ch).

--Kari
epolta

Post by epolta »

Hello,
New to open LRS. Having trouble flashing firmware to DTF/Hawkeye deluxe TX via USB and the google chrome app. I was able to get the rx flashed without problem but the TX module keeps timing out (port closing after 9 secs). I CAN get the TX module to connect to the configurator - just can't get the firmware flasher to push to it. I've tried both Mac and windows with the same issue. I've also tried it with TX connected and powered by Taranis and without Taranis power. FTDI drivers installed and Aurduino installed. I may not even need the firmware, but sure would like to get it working.

Thanks!
cxlabs

Post by cxlabs »

hi Kha,
i own prodly the 1-Watt version of RX, but i am in trouble.
Since 3.7 firmware version everything was OK with all my variable TX
and RX openlrs-ng based.
Sunday i tried to flash the new 3.8 and it goes OK on TX (hawkeye)
and rx (HK-orangeRX).
On the hawkeye 1-W rx firstly it was recognized as DTFUHF 4/6 CH
then i tried to flash manually the /releases/v3.8/433/RX-5.hex but now it isn't recognized anymore.
(ATMEGA recognized but suddenly STK500 error)

Have i to install arduino an flash manually via USB-ASP ?
Which hex file ?

Thank you for your great work :-)
cxlabs

Post by cxlabs »

Regarding my previous question:
I reflashed hawkeye 1w rx and put 3.7 fw version.
.. still shown as DTFUHF 4/6 CH, but it works
and bind.
Nice day
irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

@KHA thanks for the link to the bin fies
as per previous messages you mentioned the minirx in diptrace was a DTF version so do i use the RX-8 file and the BL one since its a fresh 328p?

EDIT - RX-8 BL is the correct file (see below) :)
Last edited by irun4fundotca on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kha

Post by kha »

irun4fundotca wrote:@KHA thanks for the link to the bin fies
as per previous messages you mentioned the minirx in diptrace was a DTF version so do i use the RX-8 file and the BL one since its a fresh 328p?

EDIT - RX-5 BL is the correct file (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=1321)
If it is the small square one it is type 8 i. E. Rx-5-bl.hex.
There is some confusion on the name since hawkeye named the rx with integrated USB as miniRX and that is rype 5. Also the brotronics 4ch remix and subMicroRX are type 5.

The rest of the microRXes are type 8.

When flashing via ISP always use the -bl version, when flashing with ftdi use the non bl version.

--kha via mobile
badzz

Post by badzz »

kha wrote:
irun4fundotca wrote:@KHA thanks for the link to the bin fies

EDIT - RX-5 BL is the correct file (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=1321)
If it is the small square one it is type 8 i. E. Rx-5-bl.hex.
There is some confusion on the name since hawkeye named the rx with integrated USB as miniRX and that is rype 5. Also the brotronics 4ch remix and subMicroRX are type 5.

The rest of the microRXes are type 8.

When flashing via ISP always use the -bl version, when flashing with ftdi use the non bl version.

--kha via mobile
Hi Kha,
Is there any manufacturer of type 8 Rx, yet ?
Check there but no luck: https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSngW ... ture-table
Thx
nellik

Post by nellik »

Just wondering, Does OpenLRSng support SBUS INPUT? If not how hard would it be to add it? (I haven't played with OpenLRSng for over a year so I'm a bit out of date)

I'm mainly interested in it from a latency standpoint for flying mini quads. With PPM it seems to be a minimum of around 45ms - 22.5 on the encode and 22.5 decode on a Taranis outputting 8 channels.
I've been flying with an Frsky X4R SBUS Rx for 6 months or so now on all my mini's and today I swapped out the frsky for an EZUHF Rx on one of them and MAN could I feel the lag.. flying it felt like someone had attached a brick to the copter... needless to say, It only lasted one flight and I'm back using SBUS!
kha

Post by kha »

nellik wrote:Just wondering, Does OpenLRSng support SBUS INPUT? If not how hard would it be to add it? (I haven't played with OpenLRSng for over a year so I'm a bit out of date)

I'm mainly interested in it from a latency standpoint for flying mini quads. With PPM it seems to be a minimum of around 45ms - 22.5 on the encode and 22.5 decode on a Taranis outputting 8 channels.
I've been flying with an Frsky X4R SBUS Rx for 6 months or so now on all my mini's and today I swapped out the frsky for an EZUHF Rx on one of them and MAN could I feel the lag.. flying it felt like someone had attached a brick to the copter... needless to say, It only lasted one flight and I'm back using SBUS!
Yes sbus input is supported.
It is notable that my code is not optimized for low latency, however using something else than ppm and using higher datarates like 57600 will make it better.

--kha via mobile
dannemange

Post by dannemange »

I accidentally flashed my OrangeRX TX module with firmware TX-4-bl.hex and now I keep getting stk500_getsync error when I try to flash it with the right firmware. Any solution to this or have I messed up bad?
DiegoTheWolf

Post by DiegoTheWolf »

Hey everyone,

maybe you can help me out.

Flashed my OrangeRX TX with the latest firmware and it connects to my PC and i can configure it.
But when it´s in my Transmitter (Turnigy 9X) the blue (OK) Led is pretty dark glowing and i cant enter bind mode.

Someone ever had this problem?

Cheers, Diego
Quad: Diatone 37# / SS 2204 2300KV / Kiss 18A ESC / GF6030 / 3S 1000mAh (to be replaced)
RC: Turnigy er9x / OrangeRX OpenLRSng
Video: Fatshark Dom V2 / Boscam 200mW 5,8GHz / Sony 600TVL
dannemange

Post by dannemange »

DiegoTheWolf wrote:Hey everyone,

maybe you can help me out.

Flashed my OrangeRX TX with the latest firmware and it connects to my PC and i can configure it.
But when it´s in my Transmitter (Turnigy 9X) the blue (OK) Led is pretty dark glowing and i cant enter bind mode.

Someone ever had this problem?

Cheers, Diego
I had that problem when I flashed with the wrong firmware. Make sure you select the right one from the list. Hobbyking OrangeRX UHF TX.
dannemange

Post by dannemange »

dannemange wrote:I accidentally flashed my OrangeRX TX module with firmware TX-4-bl.hex and now I keep getting stk500_getsync error when I try to flash it with the right firmware. Any solution to this or have I messed up bad?
For people who have the same problem as me, Khazama AVR Programmer fixed it right up. No issues, just uploaded the right firmware with bootloader and everything is back to normal.
SGTFLIER

Post by SGTFLIER »

Please help, pulling out my hair. I got a HK 1W TX and Rx, Turnigy 9X flashed w ER9X & I have correctly flashed both ORX modules to openlrsng, trying to connect to APM 2.6. I bind fine, setup everything thru chrome configuration tool. But no good signal coming thru. I can connect a servo and it randomly moves, but nothing usable. I have searched everywhere for an answer but can find nothing. Any ideas greatly appreciated. BTW have tried it w same result on APM 2.6 current version ardupilot, and w a pixhawk as well. Is it a setting in mission planner, a setting in my TX. I'M LOST.
THANK YOU
Reracer15

Post by Reracer15 »

I need a little help.

First problem:

I just bought an OrangeRX LRS, and updated the firmware on both the TX and RX, however I can't get the RX to bind to the TX when the TX is connected to the configurator. Therefore I can't access the RX in the configurator, which I think is causing my second problem.

Second problem:

When I bench test the system, I CAN get the TX and RX to bind, however there is a constant LOS when I move a servo connected any of the channels on the RX. I can move the servo very slow, and it's ok, but when I attempt to move the servo faster I get a bunch of LOS beeps

Im using a 9XR Pro and the 1W TX

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
kha

Post by kha »

Reracer15 wrote:I need a little help.

First problem:

I just bought an OrangeRX LRS, and updated the firmware on both the TX and RX, however I can't get the RX to bind to the TX when the TX is connected to the configurator. Therefore I can't access the RX in the configurator, which I think is causing my second problem.

Second problem:

When I bench test the system, I CAN get the TX and RX to bind, however there is a constant LOS when I move a servo connected any of the channels on the RX. I can move the servo very slow, and it's ok, but when I attempt to move the servo faster I get a bunch of LOS beeps

Im using a 9XR Pro and the 1W TX

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I guess you are just doing it wrong.

To connect to rx, have rx powered off, open rx tab on configurator and apply power on the rx.

The second issue is inadequate power, the moving servo causes voltage drop on you power rail which in turn causes RX to reset. Especially digital servos can use quite a bit of current. The orangerx receiver us known to be very sensitive to bad input voltage. Use a higher rating bec and/or add capacitor on the power rail.

--kha via mobile
Reracer15

Post by Reracer15 »

I guess you are just doing it wrong.

To connect to rx, have rx powered off, open rx tab on configurator and apply power on the rx.

The second issue is inadequate power, the moving servo causes voltage drop on you power rail which in turn causes RX to reset. Especially digital servos can use quite a bit of current. The orangerx receiver us known to be very sensitive to bad input voltage. Use a higher rating bec and/or add capacitor on the power rail.

--kha via mobile
Ok, I was able to get the RX to connect in the configurator, but that did not solve the problem I was having.

I am powering the RX with a 2S pack through a 5V 5A SBEC, and I have only one servo attached for testing. I did some testing with a continuity tester, and I think the antenna extension within the TX is faulty. There is no continuity from the outside of the external RMA connector to ground on the board. When I removed the antenna extension from inside the TX I can sometimes get continuity on the outside and sometimes not. It's probably a bad solder connection. I also think it may have damaged the RF unit.
kha

Post by kha »

Broken antenna pigtail is a common problem with OrangeRX units and the 1W module is likely damaged by reflected RF. You can swap the RFM23BP (433MHz) on it though.

This also explains some of the binding trouble, the reflected RF can freeze the module and there is a bit less checks during binding than in normal operation.

I recommend switching to better quality OpenLRS units (e.g. HAwkeye/DTF-UHF).
zign

Post by zign »

Hi, my orangerx 1w have a ridiculous short range like 800m.
I almost tried everything but without like. Until I use a RF power meter and find that the output power of the module is only 0.05w.
Ok, maybe I fried that module by some mistake, but I have 3 Orangerx (2 1w and 1 100mw), and i quite careful with the last 1w one.
So, any suggestion?

If i really fried that module, can I swap the RF to repair it?
BrandonDrums

Post by BrandonDrums »

zign wrote:Hi, my orangerx 1w have a ridiculous short range like 800m.
I almost tried everything but without like. Until I use a RF power meter and find that the output power of the module is only 0.05w.
Ok, maybe I fried that module by some mistake, but I have 3 Orangerx (2 1w and 1 100mw), and i quite careful with the last 1w one.
So, any suggestion?

If i really fried that module, can I swap the RF to repair it?
Your TX is probably fried due to a bad set of U.FL connections on the antenna pigtail. It happens way too often, happened to me too. On mine, the outer shielding on the coax wasn't stripped back far enough to establish a ground plane connection on the pigtail. I was able to get out to about 500m before loosing connection so it took me a while to realize the issue, by the time I did, a few diodes had melted off the main board and who knows what damage was done to the actual radio tx portion of the board.

Those Hobbyking transmitters are basically a kit, no one should expect them to work without modding them. Either replace the u.fl pigtail with a new, higher quality one or directly solder your hot and ground connections using a much thicker piece of coax to make a new antenna pigtail.

What makes all of this worse is that the antennas the OrangeLRS units ship with are soooo crappy that you can't even diagnose the issue right away unless you have upgraded antennas or are willing to break open your brand new TX unit and inspect all the joints. I'm quite certain nearly 50% of OrangeLRS TX units burn out because of these problems and they are so easy to fix if people were made more aware.

Not only that but the 1W version is not 1W unless you once again mod it to accept an external 6 volt source. The OrangeLRS receivers are fine once updated but I think the transmitters should be only for folks with serious electronic and soldering skills. For those folks, it's a great deal. For the rest of us it's a time bomb.

Sorry for your problems. My advice is get DTF or the regular Hawkeye TX and just use the OrangeLRS receivers. That's what I'm doing now.

Return to “OpenLRSng”