[SUPPORT] OpenLRSng support thread

Support and help for the OpenLRSng project.

Moderator: kha

kha

[SUPPORT] OpenLRSng support thread

Post by kha »

Post your questions about configuring and using openLRSng here.

rperkins

Re: [SUPPORT] OpenLRSng support thread

Post by rperkins »

Forgive my ignorance but is all OpenLRs in the UHF range ?
I dont think we can use that in the USA.
Is there OpenLRs hardware that is usable in the USA ?

thanks
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

AFAIK OpenLRS covers multiple bands for different frequency domains.
Pretty sure you're covered.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 4
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

Hm, not sure actually. Perhaps someone who actually knows what he is talking about should say.
Looks like you'd need to swap the RF module to go on different bands.
kha

Post by kha »

Yes by defaul it is on 433Mhz UHF ISM band but to use higher power at least a HAM technical license is required. The radio module can be replaced to achieve different bands e.g. 868Mhz etc.

Sent by kha's fat fingers on phablet

kha

Post by kha »

kha wrote:Yes by defaul it is on 433Mhz UHF ISM band but to use higher power at least a HAM technical license is required. The radio module can be replaced to achieve different bands e.g. 868Mhz etc.

The config system allows very flexible frequency config and the for example the 433 can be configured to operate anywhere within 413 - 453MHz

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thanks for the reply

USA is region2. Looks like 902-928mhz is our closest ism band. Is that workable ? If so what does it take to change the rf module ?

I am intrigued by an end to end open source rc system. I am not a ham operator though.
pwarren

Post by pwarren »

Hi All,

I've got a bit of an odd problem. I've managed to compile the sketch and upload it to the RX and TX, and I can connect up to the XT with an FTDI and configure it, and the RX correctly, and it all appears to work, get a bright blue LED on the TX after I've turned on the RX. But, when I put servos on the RX, they twiddle a bit and centre, but moving the sticks around doesn't seem to move the servos, no matter which pins they're on.

I'm using the OrangeRX OpenLRS XT and RX in a 9Xr.
I've tried different models on the 9XR, and different servos and batteries (NiCd directly and LiPo through a UBEC), nothing seems to work :(

Anyone got ideas?
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

Unlikely that you don't but definitely run in PPM mode.
kha

Post by kha »

pwarren wrote:Hi All,

I've got a bit of an odd problem. I've managed to compile the sketch and upload it to the RX and TX, and I can connect up to the XT with an FTDI and configure it, and the RX correctly, and it all appears to work, get a bright blue LED on the TX after I've turned on the RX. But, when I put servos on the RX, they twiddle a bit and centre, but moving the sticks around doesn't seem to move the servos, no matter which pins they're on.

I'm using the OrangeRX OpenLRS XT and RX in a 9Xr.
I've tried different models on the 9XR, and different servos and batteries (NiCd directly and LiPo through a UBEC), nothing seems to work :(

Anyone got ideas?
Well I suggest loading the software using the openlrsng configurator (found in chrome store).

On tx side you should get bright blue after turning tx on (blue is lit when it transmits).

On rx one of the leds should be on when tx is off and the other when tx is on.

Confirm that you habe bound the tx and rx.

See instructions here

https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng/wiki

pwarren

Post by pwarren »

Well, I managed to make it all work again by rebinding!

Thanks all :)
RBirdie001

Post by RBirdie001 »

Hi,
I'm new in open lrs just from now. Looks like great project!
I bought orange lrs modules, successfully loaded 3.2.1 firmware into both TX and RX and it works at the first attempt :D .
Because I have Hitec optic 6 radio and it seems that my PPM from radio into module have wrong polarity (timed pulses for each channel are in LOW and separating pauses are at HIGH logic level) I guess I need invert the PPM to have it fully working. I can do it eiter by hardware transistor or in the code.
Can anyone give me some simple advice how to modify code like "change this 0 to 1 and it will work..."
Thanks
Roman
kha

Post by kha »

RBirdie001 wrote:Hi,
I'm new in open lrs just from now. Looks like great project!
I bought orange lrs modules, successfully loaded 3.2.1 firmware into both TX and RX and it works at the first attempt :D .
Because I have Hitec optic 6 radio and it seems that my PPM from radio into module have wrong polarity (timed pulses for each channel are in LOW and separating pauses are at HIGH logic level) I guess I need invert the PPM to have it fully working. I can do it eiter by hardware transistor or in the code.
Can anyone give me some simple advice how to modify code like "change this 0 to 1 and it will work..."
Thanks
Roman
There is no need to invert, my code only cares about one edge of the pulses which may be leading or trailing and the end result will be same.

The only exception is the futaba 'microppm mode' which alters both high and low period :-P

RBirdie001

Post by RBirdie001 »

kha wrote: There is no need to invert, my code only cares about one edge of the pulses which may be leading or trailing and the end result will be same.

The only exception is the futaba 'microppm mode' which alters both high and low period :-P

Hi!
Thanks for the answer!
This is theory, but for some reasons for me it works only if inverted.
PPM output on the pin 1 of from the radio to the TX module looks like this:
Original PPM output from my Hitec Optic 6
Original PPM output from my Hitec Optic 6
and firmware 3.2.1. doesn't read it. :?:
After I inverted it by transistor, it looks like this:
PPM after transistor inversion.
PPM after transistor inversion.
and this works.
I'd be happier if I understand it completely, because I could expect less surprises inflight, but at least it works...
Anyway I played with the TX and RX, tried to configure, beacon, etc and it works just GREAT so thanks for your work!
Roman

Edit:
I made it work and can confirm that problem wasn't in Open lrs software nor hardware!
:D
I'm not sure what was really wrong with my PPM from radio but during tests I noticed that PPM output was some way unstable - amplitude was changing and sometimes PPM was completely missing. I was searching what was wrong and finally found defective 4066 chip in my radio. This chip is switching between internal PPM and external input from trainer port according the trainer switch position. I replaced the chip and Open lrs module started working like a magic!
Just for complete info I'm posting how my PPM output signal looks now. The only difference I can see is that log. 0 have lower voltage than before so maybe that was the reason... :?:
PPM_original_repaired.jpg
Anyway one more thanks for great project!
Roman
RBirdie001

Post by RBirdie001 »

Hi,
I hoped that when I made my open lrs TX reading my PPM everything willl be OK, but it's not :( .
PPM out from my Hitec Optic 6 seems to be really non standard. My open lrs transmitter reads incorectly CH1 of my PPM while CH2 and all successive are read perfectly. CH1 shows always value 2000 microseconds. I guess it's because an "extra" edge on the beginning of the PPM block - look at the oscillogram in my previous post. New PPM block begins with 500 microseconds "separating" pulse and from it's final edge CH1 time begins. Can you advise me modification of the source, which will make PPM reading in open lrs TX to ignore first edge and start all measuremenst from 2nd edge? My programming skills are unfortunately too weak to do it alone. :oops:
Thanks!
Roman
kha

Post by kha »

RBirdie001 wrote:Hi,
I hoped that when I made my open lrs TX reading my PPM everything willl be OK, but it's not :( .
PPM out from my Hitec Optic 6 seems to be really non standard. My open lrs transmitter reads incorectly CH1 of my PPM while CH2 and all successive are read perfectly. CH1 shows always value 2000 microseconds. I guess it's because an "extra" edge on the beginning of the PPM block - look at the oscillogram in my previous post. New PPM block begins with 500 microseconds "separating" pulse and from it's final edge CH1 time begins. Can you advise me modification of the source, which will make PPM reading in open lrs TX to ignore first edge and start all measuremenst from 2nd edge? My programming skills are unfortunately too weak to do it alone. :oops:
Thanks!
Roman
Sure I can point the code, but it should work.

The code is only intrested on falling edges on the input signal. thus the polarity should not matter as long as only the 'longer pulse' changes. (on futaba microppm the pulse is symmetric thus on that the polarity matters or you get channels mixed together)

Can you post picture on the scope with ch1 and ch2 on minimum and maximum positions ? (ch1&ch2=min , ch1=max/ch2=min, ch1=min/ch2=max, ch1&ch2=max)
RBirdie001

Post by RBirdie001 »

Hi!
Thanks for ideas!
In meantime I'm reading more about PPM signal and I'm afraid that my first idea was probably incorrect. According this description here:Image it seems, that my PPM is OK.
I'll measure more signals and hopefuly I'll be smarter of it. When I have anything new, I'll post it for sure.
Roman
RBirdie001

Post by RBirdie001 »

Hi!
I checked everything without finding the reason. I tried to remap CH1to another output of my RX (using Chrome configurator) but 2000 microsec. pulse only moved to the newly assigned output. I recorded via soundcard scope some images of my PPM with different data in CH1 and CH2 (see image comments) but I can't see anything wrong on it. Any idea very wellcome! ;)
Thanks!
Roman
CH1 50%, CH2 50%
CH1 50%, CH2 50%
CH1 0% CH2 50%
CH1 0% CH2 50%
CH1 100% CH2 50%
CH1 100% CH2 50%
CH1 50% CH2 0%
CH1 50% CH2 0%
CH1 50% CH2 100%
CH1 50% CH2 100%
RBirdie001

Post by RBirdie001 »

Hi kha,
today I tested to feed my open lrs TX with PPM from trainer port of Spectrum DX6i so with PPM from completely different source and result was exactly the same as with Optic 6 - I have CH1 permanently at 2000 microseconds, other channels OK. This means that problem isn't in wrong PPM signal from my radio, but in something else - probably some stupid detail - but which one? :x For exact description I have to explain, that CH1 isn't immediately at 2000 but starts somewhere about real value of CH1 and during first few seconds after powering either TX or RX (any of it !!!) slowly in some (~5) steps gets to 2000. Even more strange... :?: (I'll make a video.)
I didn't modify anything in the code, just downloaded firmware version 3.2.1 from github, selected #define TX_BOARD_TYPE 2, #define RX_BOARD_TYPE 3 and #define COMPILE_TX for TX. I'm using Orange Tx as TX and Orange RX as RX,
I'll try clear EEPROM, program again both boards, install older versions of firmware etc. but any ideas from you what else could be wrong and what to try would be great!
Thanks in advance!
Roman

EDIT: It's more-less solved.

I several times reloaded firmware and cleared EEPROM and it always worked until I completed my custom settings on RX - then CH1 problem always started. By applying settings step by step I located that it causes either RX setting "Stop PWM at failsafe" or more probably "Inject RSSI to servo port" (I'm not sure about exact wording and don't want disassembly it all again to read it exactly). I guess I misunderstood what this feature should do and was reading on the CH1 (port 2) output RSSI as servo signal instead of CH1 position. I supposed that this option just enables RSSI for port 1 (RSSI output), but it was there anyway. WIthout these two settings it seems to work perfect! :D
Thanks
Roman
kha

Post by kha »

RBirdie001 wrote:Hi kha,
today I tested to feed my open lrs TX with PPM from trainer port of Spectrum DX6i so with PPM from completely different source and result was exactly the same as with Optic 6 - I have CH1 permanently at 2000 microseconds, other channels OK. This means that problem isn't in wrong PPM signal from my radio, but in something else - probably some stupid detail - but which one? :x For exact description I have to explain, that CH1 isn't immediately at 2000 but starts somewhere about real value of CH1 and during first few seconds after powering either TX or RX (any of it !!!) slowly in some (~5) steps gets to 2000. Even more strange... :?: (I'll make a video.)
I didn't modify anything in the code, just downloaded firmware version 3.2.1 from github, selected #define TX_BOARD_TYPE 2, #define RX_BOARD_TYPE 3 and #define COMPILE_TX for TX. I'm using Orange Tx as TX and Orange RX as RX,
I'll try clear EEPROM, program again both boards, install older versions of firmware etc. but any ideas from you what else could be wrong and what to try would be great!
Thanks in advance!
Roman

EDIT: It's more-less solved.

I several times reloaded firmware and cleared EEPROM and it always worked until I completed my custom settings on RX - then CH1 problem always started. By applying settings step by step I located that it causes either RX setting "Stop PWM at failsafe" or more probably "Inject RSSI to servo port" (I'm not sure about exact wording and don't want disassembly it all again to read it exactly). I guess I misunderstood what this feature should do and was reading on the CH1 (port 2) output RSSI as servo signal instead of CH1 position. I supposed that this option just enables RSSI for port 1 (RSSI output), but it was there anyway. WIthout these two settings it seems to work perfect! :D
Thanks
Roman
Ah yes... The injection feature injects rssi onto rc channel and so it will appear both in ppm and pwm outputs.

To get high frequency rssi you don't need to enable injection.
shaggee

Post by shaggee »

How to enable RX PPM output in latest firmware? Last time I saw this option in chrome configurator. Now cant find it.
Connect ch1 and ch2 together and PPM will enabled on ch5?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's in the dropdown list of choices of which channel goes out of each pin, BUT only on port 6 (at least on my board type).
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
shaggee

Post by shaggee »

Thanks.

I programmed manny 100mw Orange sets but 1W orange TX is not conecting with Orange RX via configuration tool. I have to put TX to my transmitter and power it, connect FTDI then it works and I can configure RX via configuration tool. Its normal? Maybe TX get too low voltage for establish connection with RX?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If you mean that USB power is not sufficient, it makes sense yes. You need the module to be powered. Even with the 100mW ones it would be recommended.
lineofsight

Beacon not working

Post by lineofsight »

Hi,

I just updated to 3.5.2 and I've found that the beacon no longer works. I've tried multiple radios.

Sorry, I don't know what my previous version was, but my old TX backup file says "801".

I'm flying the OrangeRX receiver, and my current RX configuration is attached.
Attachments
RX_configuration_backup.txt
RX configuration
(286 Bytes) Downloaded 455 times
infotechsailor

Post by infotechsailor »

Hello. I'm looking for a place to find some documentation on using the serial pass thru feature. I'm unsure exactly how to enable this on my orange rx and tx. The goal is to pass telemetry from a pixhawk (an apm style autopilot). Any links to discussion of this would be appreciated. Ive searched around and have only found references with no detailed discussion or guides. My end goal would be to allow serial teletry to be passed to my ground station pc from the autopilots sensors.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Haven't used it, but AFAIK you jsut need to configure "Telemetry - Yes" on the TX in the configurator (and make sure the TX-RX pins are enabled on the receiver). Then whatever comes in on the receiver's serial port will come out of the TX's one as long as the max throughput isn't exceeded.

Of course that is with OpenLRSng.
slimline33

Post by slimline33 »

Hey, here there is a really very very detailed tutorial for the German customers.

It contains all the important information. I think the url looks nice in the wiki and would explain a lot. Also how to use the OpenLRS legal in Germany.

http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php? ... nLRS-Basis
voyager4

Post by voyager4 »

Hello, I just wonder if it is or will be possible to use the 9ch hawkeye LRS UHF RX as transmitter for dataradio (433) so I can use it with the missionplanner?
kha

Post by kha »

voyager4 wrote:Hello, I just wonder if it is or will be possible to use the 9ch hawkeye LRS UHF RX as transmitter for dataradio (433) so I can use it with the missionplanner?
If telemetry is enabled there is a bidirectional serial link available. It has limited capacity so care should be taken to keep the amount of data transferred over it low enough to not overflow buffers.

Return to “OpenLRSng”