First attempts flashing, using smartieparts board, 9x Errors

Everything about the smartie programmer and backlight kit!
fitzhugh

First attempts flashing, using smartieparts board, 9x Errors

Post by fitzhugh »

I'm having a bad time of it, not sure what I've done. I installed the smartieparts board and am using linux. I've tried both eepe and companion9x. When the tx reboots I get
EEPROM WARNING:
Bad EEPROM Data
Press any key...
----
Formatting EEPROM
----
THROTTLE WARNING
THrottle not set to idle
press any key to skip...
----
Switch warning...
---
goes through calibration, seems to recognize things right, but when I turn off and on the throttle warning returns regardless of throttle position.

I'm not sure what info to provide, please assist.

Here are the details from the latest companion9x attempt:

=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
/usr/bin/avrdude -c usbasp -p m64 -P usb -U eeprom:r:/home/fitzhugh/rc/9x/FW/backups/backup-2013-10-10-163113.bin:r
=================================================================================
avrdude: Warning: cannot query manufacturer for device: error sending control message: Connection timed out
avrdude: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

avrdude done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

Goes through the red progress bar to 100% rather quickly, then starts on the blue progress bar and gets hung at 10%. The window says it is verifying at this point. When I turn transmitter on after this it still gives the warnings about bad EEPROM,

Ack. What did I break?

rperkins

Re: First attempts flashing, using smartieparts board, 9x Er

Post by rperkins »

fitzhugh wrote: avrdude: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc
This means the computer is not finding the smartie board. check your connections and determine if the radio should be on or off when programming. Usually with a usbasp the radio is off but I'm not sure if the smartie board gets it's power from the usb port of the computer or not. The answer may be dependant on which version of the smartie board you are using. I'm not sure about that.

I think the eeprom error is normal at first. Dont know why the progress bar even showed any progress when avrdude is saying it cant find the programmer. I wouldnt worry about these things right now. Get the computer to locate the usbasp programmer located on the smartie board.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

oh I see you are on linux
It may be a permisions issue of the usbasp device

go here
http://code.google.com/p/eepe/
down to this heading 'Fixes in Linux/Ubuntu'
fitzhugh

Post by fitzhugh »

Oh, somehow I failed to submit the response I wrote days ago.
Trying again...
Thank You! I tried the permissions issue listed as a linux fix, did not seem to have any impact in my case.

I was so flustered when I wrote that that I did not provide very good information. I was unclear on what was happening - confusing eeprom and flash, to start with. Also, my tx started failing to reboot when flashed, so it seemed dead-ish. It still was usually recognized, but did not reboot and the screen would remain blank.
So, for others having similar problems, here are the few things I figured out as I went - keeping in mind I am not the person to ask and could be wrong still:

It turns out the BAD EEPROM hit any key warning is no big deal (or so I understand, and perhaps just ok to see the first time, though I see it each time still). The EEPROM holds the user adjusted settings like model specific settings, while the firmware is flashed separately. Duh, I know, but I made the mistake.
The Throttle warning is because the tx needs calibration so it, too, is OK. The alarm warning is also OK if using er9x, as that is the default setting (beeps set to quiet).
To calibrate, long hold the left key to get to Radio Setup 1 of 6, and then press it left again to wrap around to the Calibration page, 6 of 6, then follow the on screen instructions.
If your tx does not come back on, take the usb cord out. In my case it starts up on its own then.
I'm still constantly getting the following error when avrdude has written the fw and is verifying the writing:
Reading | #avrdude: error: wrong reading bytes b8
However, it still seems to have written it correctly because when I pull the usb cord out and let it reboot the new firmware shows up - though always with the bad eeprom warning. Checking the version number shows it does write, and it seems to work fine. This happens with both eepe and companion9x, and regardless of whether I'm installing er9x or open9x.

So, don't panic if you see the above problems.
fitzhugh

Post by fitzhugh »

I still have to wait for an admin to approve my posts so I can't edit the last one yet - here are a few more details:
Another little detail I had to look up: the default channel order of 9x radios is AETR.

Lastly... the error:
"avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | avrdude: error: wrong reading bytes b8"
occurs on linux but NOT on my ancient mac running an old version of eePe. In a thread around here somewhere I saw a mention of some versions of avrdude having an error where they read the wrong word size from memory, which seems to fit. I *think* that post said it was only on one version of the windows version but not the previous one, or perhaps they said linux, but it was the same error. Unlike them, I was unable to solve it by purging the latest version of avrdude and installing an old one, nor did compiling old or new versions help. The old mac version is working. I haven't tried installing a saved eeprom but I did not get the error burning fw versions.

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Hi
Best I can tell what you have written is that you got your system working. thats good.

The following may or may not help you.
1. the TX does 'reboot' or ' go blank' when programming. When the programming is complete the TX should restart. This is normal.
2. Try to use the copy and paste function of your computer to post the error messages you are getting. for example 'avrdude: error: wrong reading bytes b8' is incomplete and of no value. Normally there is the address of the error , what it expected , and what it retrieved. I find it helpful to copy and paste the entire output of eepe/c9x/avrdude, starting with the avrdude command.
3. ONce you got past your error of 'could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc' you are not having a linux permisions error.
4. if you wish to report the version of avrdude you are using, run this command at the command line 'avrdude -v'
5. to keep your threads out of moderation dont put any more than one url link in them. yes it is a PITA.

hope this helps

Return to “SMARTIEPARTS PROGRAMMER”