- SP 2.1 board with second revision FlySky 9X
- Worked fine until today
- Now very rarely even appears in Device Manager, so avrdude can't find it
- Seems worse when in TX
- When it does connect, it works fine
Almost two years ago I bought a V2.1 SmartieParts board and installed it in my 9X. That went fine; it let me upgrade to ER9X and gave me a backlight. The programming side didn't get any further use until about two months ago, when I installed the latest ER9X firmware and had a quick play with eePe to backup the models. Today I tried to use it again to load the V911 model data, but eePe gave me an error:
"avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc"
The USBasp device did not appear in Windows Device Manager. I tried three different USB cables, two USB ports (one on the mainboard, one on a PCIe USB3.0 card), and three copies of Windows (two WinXP 32-bit, one Win7 64-bit). No sign of anything happening.
I figured that this was most likely not a connection issue with the TX itself, since the SP board should still respond even if the TX is completely stuffed. To test the SP board, I removed it from the TX and plugged it in separately. Most of the time the same symptoms occurred. Sometimes it did appear in Device Manager, although often it took 30+ seconds for the device to be detected. Once it was detected, the eePe error message changed to the usual "target not responding" one (obviously because the SP board was not connected to the TX at the time). I would have suspected an intermittent connection with the USB cable, but once it did detect no amount of moving the wires around would cause it to disconnect again. All the solder joints look fine, both on the board and the USB connector. No wires touching, all plugs are fully inserted.
Putting the SP board back into the TX, I was unable to get any response from it; no sign of any connection (although the TX turned on when the USB cable was connected, as expected). I forgot about that and went on with other stuff; about half an hour later the Windows "found new hardware" box popped up asking to install the USBasp drivers again. I've got no idea why that would happen, but I took advantage of the opportunity to upload the new EEPROM with eePe. That worked perfectly, so the connection appears to be reliable. However, when I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it once again failed to appear (and has now continued to do so for about ten minutes).
I should mention that the TX itself has been absolutely fine; it's behaving just as expected. The only hardware modifications have been the SP board and replacing the 78L05 regulator with an XC6202 (because it's got a lower dropout voltage). The TX pack is a 3S 1800mAh LiFePO4 one, and there's definitely no risk of that coming into contact with the USB connector.
- Unlikely to be a dodgy connection with the TX mainboard. In this case I'd expect the USBasp to connect but then fail to program/verify. The problem also continued to occur with the SP board removed from the TX completely.
- Unlikely to be a dodgy connection to the PC, for similar reasons. Once it does connect, the connection appears to be reliable.
- Unlikely to be a software issue on the PC, because it'd really have to be a Windows error that affects both XP and 7.