Flashing Success (But Not Really)

ekill

Post by ekill »

After using the factory firmware for a few days all worked well then the stock firmware corrupted. I could not change any of the mix input/output channels; the expo rate would automatically run from 0-120 on all 3 channels; could not change any letter in model name as it would beep continuously and would have to press the exit key to silence it. It had rf output. I put it aside while waiting on programmer.

After flashing I get to the screen “ALERT Bad EEprom Data” press any key. None of the keys have any effect or beeps. Then I sent a new eepe file to radio and got the er9x screen and had the same result (key presses). I inspected the board and toned all the switches and confirmed that they are in the normally open state.

I flashed with the windows and the mac versions of eepe and had the exact same results. I had no errors with avrdude and I tripled checked my wiring and toned each board connection right to the HK usbasp programmer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Earl

erazz
9x Developer

Re: Flashing Success (But Not Really)

Post by erazz »

Well, if you got the "Bad EEPROM data" that usually means you have flashed the FW correctly. It really doesn't matter where you flash from (Win/MAC/Linux)

What kind of battery are you using?
Did you make sure that the buttons close when pushed?

Also, I would suspect the voltage level on your board. Perhaps the voltage regulator. Have you tried pressing buttons while being powered from the USBASP programmer? Also, can you check the voltages across the board and make sure you're getting ~5v at the 5v pads?
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

If you flash from the stock firmware to the new firmware, you sometimes get that error, just because the older firmware stores data a little differently, so it isn't recognzed. If you flash the eeprom data , it should be all good.

You can't use the old model data with er9x firmware. Create a new blank model/settings file from within eepe and save(burn) it into the eeprom space.

Like Erazz said, it still flashed, it's just looking for certain data in the model/settings and it's seeing gobbilty goop.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ekill wrote:After using the factory firmware for a few days all worked well then the stock firmware corrupted. I could not change any of the mix input/output channels; the expo rate would automatically run from 0-120 on all 3 channels; could not change any letter in model name as it would beep continuously and would have to press the exit key to silence it.
Aha. You didn't mention that in your previous posts. This is not normal, I would think there is a hardware problem somewhere on your board. The lack of response of ER9X could likely have the same cause that the "stuck key" behavior on the stock firmware.
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

errrmmmm, no.

When you say "lack of response". What do you mean. It should, after a couple of button presses, format the memory. It seems that it didn't do that. Or is it so you didn't wait?

The continuous beep does seem to imply that one button is "stuck".
Z

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As well as the 6 main buttons, check all the trim switches. If one of the trim switches is stuck on, it becomes the 'event' to process, overriding all other events (the 6 main buttons). This is so trim changes have priority.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ekill

Post by ekill »

I am getting 5.08v at vcc pad. All 6 switches and all trim switches are in the normally open state. I checked them all while pressing keys w/ meter. I did not use old model data. The continuious beep was on the corrupt old factory firmware prior to flashing. After flashing there are no beeps whatsoever. By "lack of response" refers to the "ALERT Bad Eprom" screen after flashing where pressing any key does not format eprom or beep. I am using a 9.6v nicad pack but it was not in the radio while flashing. The board was powered from usbasp programmer. Maybe my procedure is wrong. Please advise.

Should the board beep while flashing to indicate low power?

Earl
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

Ok I have one more suggestion for you, please download a fresh firmware file from the Google code page, make sure you save it somewhere you know, then from eepe flash this firmware to the TX. You have to "browse" to the downloaded file. It may be that you have a corrupted file for some unknown reason.
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
ekill

Post by ekill »

I went to the suggested page but saw only raw file. Please advise. I also tried the stable er9x hex file again and have same results. I also read the two voltage regulators as suggested: leftmost regulator (left pin= 5.10 center pin=0 right pin=3.27). Rightmost regulator (left pin=5.10 center pin=0 right pin=4.38) Vcc pad= -5.10 readings taken w/ back unplugged and powered via usbasp.

Thanks...Earl
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Hi Earl,

To download the latest version you need to right click and choose "save link as".

Please follow these instructions and tell us exactly what you see on the screen during and after each step.
1) Flash the latest FW.
2) With the programmer still attached. Create a new file in eePe and write that to memory (Burn->Write Model Memory).
3) Watch the screen and tell us exactly what you see. Do you see a spash screen? Does it go directly into a menu? Give it a minute or so just to make sure nothing exciting happens.
4) After waiting a bit, try pressing and holding down the left button. Does something happen? If not, try pressing and holding (1-2 seconds) the right button. Does something happen?

Really try to describe in detail what you see because it seems that we really don't understand what you are seeing.
Z

ekill

Post by ekill »

I apologize. When I go to that page I see the raw er9x.hex. obviously I'm doing something wrong.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

On the right there's "View raw file". Right-click on that and Save As.
ekill

Post by ekill »

OK got the new hex file loaded in and no change. Then I created a new epee file and got the er9x splash screen. Held buttons as suggested with no change
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

All this suggest the flash and model file went in fine, you have a stuck button somewhere. Please try all buttons including trims. You can also unplug the left and right cables ( going to trims)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
ekill

Post by ekill »

tried all the buttons and trims. Unplugged what I thought was connectors and no change. Yesterday I physically checked all buttons and trims with meter by pressing and confirming via tone.

UPDATE: When I hold down the menu button while powering on it says "LOADING MODEL 01" But key presses still have no affect. Then powering off and back on brings back the er9x splash screen and still unable to do anything.
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

And again, Earl. You're not giving us any information.

Please answer the questions I asked. What do you see on the screen? Does the radio respond? Any beeps? any screens?
The answers and descriptions you are giving are just not helpful or informational enough!

After the splash screen what screen do you see?
Z

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

is it possible that you make a video or take some pictures of what is happening??
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ekill

Post by ekill »

1. While flashing the firmware the screen is blank during flashing process until finished then I get the "alert bad eeprom" screen (buttons or trims switches have no effect (no beeps).
2. Then I flash the newly created epee model file to radio again the screen is blank during flashing process until I get the "er9x screen" (buttons or trims switches have no effect (no beeps).
3. At this point no button or key press will go to any other screen. And there were no beeps.

The only other screen I can get to Is by holding the menu button while turning the radio on and I get the "LOADING MODEL 01" message and again none of the buttons or keys do anything. There is no response or beeps whatsoever.

Please understand my frustration. I tried my best to explain.

I attached a photo of the splash screen and again I can press all 6 buttons (and move the trims) to no avail. No beeps or changes from splash screen.

Regards...Earl
Attachments
9xsplash.jpg
9xsplash.jpg (19.61 KiB) Viewed 27024 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This could be tricky, particularly from your first post where you indicate something went wrong with the original stock firmware, you may have an actual failure somewhere.
From the splash screen, you should be able to move on with any button press, or moving any stick. The MENU button is clearly connected as you can get the LOADING MODEL 01 message. It could take a while to pin this down. I suggest running eepe, and changing, in the general settings, the tick by shown splash screen on startup. Then flash the modified eepe file to the radio. This will let you move on to the next screen hopefully, let's see what you get.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Agree,

Also, tick off any warnings so you go straight to the main screen.
Z

ekill

Post by ekill »

Hi Mike - I unchecked the "Show Splash Screen" box. Re-flashed got the "ALERT Bad EEprom Data" screen and same result in that buttons have no effect. As I mentioned, after playing with the radio for a week prior to receiving the programmer all was well then it corrupted while changing mixes. Prior to my flashing er9x nothing acted intermittent (FW or buttons). Thats why I thought as you observed, that by being able to at least get to the loading "Model 01" screen by holding down the "menu" button while powering up that the buttons and trims seem to be in the normally open state. Would this be possible if there was a stuck button?

I really appreciate all the help from everyone!

Take Care,

Earl
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ekill wrote:Re-flashed got the "ALERT Bad EEprom Data" screen and same result in that buttons have no effect.
Re-flashed what?

There are 2 types of memories, Flash and EEPROM. Flash holds the transmitter's firmware, the EEPROM holds the model data and radio settings.
When you program the firmware (er9x.hex) you program the flash. When you do this with eePe, it erases the EEPROM as well. So you will always get the "Bad EEPROM Data" error after flashing the firmware. Which is why after doing this, you'd either reload an EEPROM file you saved earlier (for example a backup of your models you did before upgrading, which you'd usually do) and send it to the radio (Write Memory to TX), just dismiss the error by pressing any key on the transmitter, which will load all default settings, or create a new model file in eePe and send it with the same "Write Memory to TX".

As the keys are apparently not responsive on your radio, not allowing you to generate the default settings, MikeB and erazz suggest you flash your firmware, then create a new file in eePe, double-click on General Settings, and remove ticks in "Show Splash screen on startup", "Throttle Startup Warning", "Alarm Warning", and "Switch Startup Warning". Then send the EEPROM data (not firmware which seems you did from your last post!) with "Write Memory to TX". That way, you shouldn't get any error anymore, bypass all the warning screens and end on the TX's main screen, where you can see the trim bars, and otherwise see if buttons work there.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Earl, did you always use eepe to flash the tx? or did you use other programs before?

Erazz, Mike; could it be that some fuse was changed somehow?? that looks like a very strange problem..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ekill

Post by ekill »

Kilrah - Thanks for the response. When I said I re-flashed I meant first the firmware then the new epee model file. I did as you suggested (unchecked exact boxes in general settings) then I flashed the new modified eeprom file to tx now I don't get the splash screen but still see the "ALERT Bad EEprom Data press any key" screen and I still cannot press any key to move forward.

Earl
ekill

Post by ekill »

jhsa - I just used only the epee program. I tried the mac and windows versions.
ekill

Post by ekill »

Update - thought I would retry with mac. After firmware flash I get the ALERT screen as usual but now after writing the modified epee model file to tx this is what I get.
When I recheck splash screen in general settings and reflash eeprom it does show the er9x splash screen.
Earl
Attachments
NotGood.jpg
NotGood.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 26983 times
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

You most definitely have a key pressed down.

It might not be the actual button itself but the controller is definitely seeing a button that is "down". I think it's either the "menu" or the "+" button.

I bet it's a pull-up resistor that has gone bad. Trace back from each switch and find the associated resistors. Check to see if the resistance is the same. Check that under power each trace reaches the same voltage. The solution might be as "easy" as replacing one resistor.
Z

ekill

Post by ekill »

I just found the 9x schematic and followed the menu button trace thru a 200ohm resistor to pin 11 of the ATMEGA64 and noticed the SCK connects at same pin. Last flash I noticed this line:
"avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update" Is that normal? I watched a Richard M video on flashing with epee and he had that same line in avrdude when he flashed. In the mean time I will check voltages at the pull-up resistors.
ekill

Post by ekill »

So far the only issue I've found is pin 16 of cpu pull-up resistor (left switch) reads 199ohms and under power is reads .34v as in "closed state". All others pins 11 thru 15 are 4.90v

Earl
Attachments
M64 2.jpg
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

:)

I think that we are closer to finding the problem.
There is a short to ground somewhere in that trace.

I suspect the Capacitor down the line. Are you comfertable working with SMD devices? You can try to measure resistance across the capacitor. My guess is you'll find that it shorts. You might get away with simply removing it. Otherwise you might need to add a 0.1uF capacitor in it's place.
Z

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”