EEPROM ERROR (and worse) on Rev1 FlySky9x

acklenx

EEPROM ERROR (and worse) on Rev1 FlySky9x

Post by acklenx »

So I have Rev 1 FlySky9x (with the solder pad in the wrong spot). I tried loading er9x last night with a friend that has done it twice before. He has one transmitter with a Smarty Parts board and another with soldered on connections. He used an arduino to program his, but I was using and avr programmer.

We had some intial problems getting the eepe to read anything - but apparently this is normal. Once we opted to backup the firmware and write it to a file, it seemed to work just fine.

But we couldn't write/update the firmware from the .hex file that we downloaded. It would fail around line 128 or 129. We could however write the backup file back onto the Tx without a problem. The difference being that the backup file had a .bin extension and the downloaded file had a .hex extension. So I renamed the file to er9x.bin and was able to write to the Tx!!

But I now the transmitter beeped with one long continuous beep and displayed "EEPROM ERROR" on the screen. (Yes it beeped be as soon as it finished because the transmitter had both battery power and the power switch on during the update - we discovered neither was necessary later) I was once again able to reload the original firmware from the backup and the Tx was back in it's original state with no problems. At least this was good.

I tried several different builds of ER9x and even TH9x just to see if something would "take". No luck.

Searching the forums I found that apprarently you have to press any button when you get that error the very first time you switch to er9x ( but my transmitter doesnt' have an "any button" on it ;) But no button was able to clear that error. I tried holding buttons as I turned the transmitter on and discovered that holding the exit button while powering up would display "RESTORE..." (and that blasted beep of course). And I see that message powering up while holding "EXIT" whether its er9x or the original firmware that is loaded.

At one point in my cycle of trying a particular firmware or rolling back to factory, I notice that with the original factory firmware the Menu button wasn't working. But I checked the switch (actually both menu and exit) with a meter and it was fine. After a couple more cycles of updating an rolling back, I though I finally had it because there was no beeping or message when I turned it on... But there was NOTHING. Blank screen, no response to buttons. And the best part - when I rolled back to the original factory firmware, I got the same thing. That's a fairly brick like behavior.

That was all late last night/early this morning and I had to go into work today so I'll need to check my next theory this afternoon... I know that towards the end I tried some of the other read/write operations and I'm really hopeful that I just managed to mix something up (used the wrong read operation to write a corrupt firmware to the file i then tried to load). Lots of clicking in the same file names, so it's possible I just need to fetch the firmware again (both er9x and factory) and try to reload those again (only to back is the same boat I was before - but that's better than bricked).

I did read something on the forum about fuses and eeprom not getting over written. Or the avr programmer having a switch to overwrite the eeprom - is that perhaps not right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Never let a mediocre career stand in the way of a good time

Westy

Re: EEPROM ERROR (and worse) on Rev1 FlySky9x

Post by Westy »

Hey There,

Sooooo ...... Sound like we are all now confused.

Did you do the hard wire or the Smartie Parts board?

Try just getting the latest stable firmware and make sure you follow the instructions ..... or you can take a look at my tutorial vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ip11BdJtP0
acklenx

Post by acklenx »

Nice video, short and sweet. I have soldered my avr programmer directly to my transmitter (neither smarty parts, nor the arduino set). I have the absolute latest version of eepe and the stable "hex" file.

Actually that may be the problem. Watching your video and reading what I have on the forum... it seems like er9x really should be a hex file. My transmitter will only "successfully" let me write .bin files. That is to say:
If I go to this page: http://code.google.com/p/er9x/
The I right click on "ER9x" in the "Stable Binaries (r708)" section and choose "Saved linked content as" (This is Opera)
That brings up the save dialog with the default name of er9x.hex AND the file type is "HEX FILE (.hex)" saved to my desktop. (This is Windows 7)

Then I load eepe ( revision 330, from Feb 9 2012) - it's not the most stable version it will crash every now and then (but never during a read or write)
I select from the menu bar "Burn" > "Write Flash Memory"
Then I select my file "er9x.hex"
I click to continue.

This fails with an error around line 128 if I select a er9x.hex. But if I rename that file to er9x.bin the write and the confirmation will succeed.
*********** Actually as I repeated all of these steps in methodical detail to write this step by step procedure for what failed.... IT WORKED!!!! **************

My problem I believe is that I was selecting "Write EEPROM memory from file". That would only work with bin file (which makes sense now from all that I've read).

Thank you for forcing me to go slowly step by step

Now onto your calibration video...
Westy

Post by Westy »

Lol .... I have done the Exact same thing !!! ha ha ....

Good to hear ... when you stop and take a breath ..... the O2 goes into the brain stem .... and y seem to sort things..... rather than a Bull in a china shop!

Good luck and thanks for the feed back ... hope you enjoy the Stick & Pot Calibration on the wiki Page
acklenx

Post by acklenx »

Bull in a China shop... that may account for the menu button not working. Sure enough the trace is broken right at the resistor (of my Rev 1 board). So close....

Westy

Post by Westy »

You will get there !!
wheelspinner20

Post by wheelspinner20 »

that I was selecting "Write EEPROM memory from file".
EEPROM refers to the saved information for the model details.... mixes and settings.

The hex files are "FLASH" option in eepe. This is the firmware for the radio. The radio icon with the flame on it.... "write flash memory" and the one next to it, the radio icon with the green down arrow over it. These are the firmare read and flash buttons.
no more quippy little latin phrases.! Its old

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”