- You need two usbasp programmers. One is used as the 'programmer' and the other is used as the 'target'
- The 'target' is the one getting updated. It is connected like your 9x usually is during a firmware upgrade.
- Remember you have to put a jumper , (usually a little solder ) , on the 'target' . Thanks to Romolo and Showmaster for the photos. More info here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363
the Betemcu.cn/Baite usbasp the Hobbyking usbasp
- Pick the firmware version you want from http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/ , or use the Romolo patched version provided here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363
- I used http://www.7-zip.org/ to extract the archive. There may be better tools, I dont do windows much.
- Now the hacky part of this. Go into the avrdude setting in eepe and add '-p m8' to the extra arguments. Your 'avrdude location' value will be different. leave it alone if it was working.
- Flash the firmware as usual. But instead of flashing er9x to a 9x you are flashing upgraded firmware to your usbasp device.
- Dont forget to remove the 'extra arguments' from the avrude configuration in eepe. You wont be able to communicate with your 9x if you leave them in there.
- Enjoy never having to see 'warning: cannot set sck period' and being able to use the '-B' option to avrdude to control the speed of your flashing.