NOOB need help setting up Hobbyzone Sport Cub S

vondarius21

Re: NOOB need help setting up Hobbyzone Sport Cub S

Post by vondarius21 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:05 pm

Major thanks to Daedalus66, awesome job for the research, insight and feedback. Thank you so much. I'll be implementing these settings tonight.

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:19 pm

Let me know how it goes. You'll have to make adjustments for your firmware, as I'm not up to date on OpenTX. For example, how to set up a switch with specific endpoints beyond 100. It should be easy enough, but what I've done may not work for you. Anyway, it's a good exercise in programming.

vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Everything appeared to be setup properly but on my maiden after taking off the plane (Sport Cub S) began climbing straight up,then took a nose dive! I have not tried the 350 QX3 settings yet.

jhsa

Post by jhsa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Did you check the plane's center of gravity is correct?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Center of gravity is pretty much automatically right if you use a standard battery in the standard location.

It should climb at full throttle, but not too steeply. Did it still climb steeply if you used down trim?
I found that initially mine climbed too much at two thirds to full throttle. Down elevator trim was needed. Once I landed, I adjusted the elevator linkage by bending the adjustment loop with pliers as directed in the manual. It took two or three flights to get it just right but then it flew very nicely. Be sure to read and follow the manual, as there are special requirements for setting up a stabilized model.
By the way, I flew mine with the DX4e transmitter that I used to establish the settings for open source transmitters. Then with my 9XR Pro to verify the settings. It flew the same with either transmitter.

vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Daedalus66 wrote:Center of gravity is pretty much automatically right if you use a standard battery in the standard location.

It should climb at full throttle, but not too steeply. Did it still climb steeply if you used down trim?
I found that initially mine climbed too much at two thirds to full throttle. Down elevator trim was needed. Once I landed, I adjusted the elevator linkage by bending the adjustment loop with pliers as directed in the manual. It took two or three flights to get it just right but then it flew very nicely. Be sure to read and follow the manual, as there are special requirements for setting up a stabilized model.
By the way, I flew mine with the DX4e transmitter that I used to establish the settings for open source transmitters. Then with my 9XR Pro to verify the settings. It flew the same with either transmitter.
OK, I'll recheck the manual for those settings and report my results.

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:49 pm

vondarius21 wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote: OK, I'll recheck the manual for those settings and report my results.
It's not the settings you need to check -- I've given you those -- but the procedure for trimming.

vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Daedalus66 wrote:
vondarius21 wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote: OK, I'll recheck the manual for those settings and report my results.
It's not the settings you need to check -- I've given you those -- but the procedure for trimming.
Understood, thanks.

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:32 pm

It's a bit confusing. My interpretation boils down to "For the stabilizer to work correctly, all neutrals must be 1500usec. No trim or Subtrim allowed. Trimming must be done mechanically."
My experience (limited because I could only fly indoors once a month and outdoor flying has been out of the question) was that the model had excessive climb at cruise throttle. So I fed in down trim till it was properly trimmed. I did this with the model in "Experienced" mode for minimum stabilizer effect.

Then I landed and noted the elevator position. I returned the elevator trim to zero. Then I bent the push rod loop to get the elevator to the position it had when I landed.

Then I test flew and retuned with elevator trim. Then landed, zeroed trim and tweaked the mechanical setup. That was it.

I don't believe trim has to be absolutely zero, but should be very close.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Cub with my nine-year old grandson on a nice calm spring evening when the snow has finally gone. He does very well with a Hobbyzone Champ, so I'm sure he'll manage the Cub with little difficulty.

brentduke

Post by brentduke » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:31 am

Daedalus66 wrote:Here it is in a nut shell.
Channels 1-4 default mixes
Channel 5, 3-way switch -100, 0, 100
Channel 6 TRN switch -100, 100
Channels 1-6 set limits to 80 (very important)
channels 2 and 4 INV (reverse)
DR 100%, 70%
Expo 20%
If ESC does not arm, set lower limit for channel 1 to -100.

That should give you exactly the same output as the DX4e, DX5e and MLP6DSM that the model is designed for. Correct throws are set automatically.

Channel 5 switch is mode (beginner, intermediate, advanced). Channel 6 switch is panic button.
Note that setting limits to 80% is mandatory for any BNF model that uses linear servos, as 100% on open source firmware is like 125% on Spektrum. If throw is not reduced, the servos may be damaged. Also, channels 5 and 6 switches need to be set to 80% limits as the SAFE technology doesn't like more than normal Spektrum maximum throws.
This formula will fly any model compatible with the standard Spektrum transmitters, though some of the older ones expect a 2-position switch on channel 5. It will work equally well on Taranis, 9XR, 9XR Pro, and 9x, though the commands may differ slightly amongst them.
I have this setup and it works very well. Nice little model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got my Sport Cub S today and I to am using my taranis (use with quadcopter currently) with the orangerx module. I think I have everything set as you show. Everything works except the throttle. If I put the throttle all the way up the motor just pulses. I have tried 4 different batteries and no luck. Also are the lights in the motor area suspose to blink red constantly?

So I am quite a noob. Also just want to make sure I have my limits set right....I do this under the servo tab and change the -100 to an -80 and the 100 to an 80 for all channels?

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Sorry, but if you have a 2015 Orange module, it simply won't work with the Sport Cub S or any of the other recent UMX models, such as Radian UMX or NanoQX. The previous generation of Orange modules does work with these models.

The new modules work fine with stand-alone receivers from Spektrum, Orange, Lemon.

What to do? Complain to HK and hope they come up with a module fix, possibly in firmware. Or look for an earlier version of the Orange module. Or look for a Spektrum DM9 module. Or do a "hack" using the module from a DX4e or DX5e. Or fly the Cub with a DX4e or DX5e (often available used for $25 or so).

I have a DX4e for my grandson to use while flying our Cub. It fits small hands very nicely.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

idar66

Post by idar66 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:25 am

hi mate im just setting my 2oosrx up like your dx5 emulation file on my new 9xr pro, i think ive got it right in open tx and im just getting finished with 9xr pro running sky9xr fimware lastest, when setting up 3 way switch for modes it took me awhile to get it to work i had to use source half for chanel 5 and full for chanel 6 ,is this correct? it seems to work on screen alright im a little worried if ive got it right or not, could you plz post your 9xr pro settings so i can compare mine to yours to make sure i have it right, thanks heaps for your help plz include your paypal as id like to buy you a beer or two, cheers idar :D :D

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 pm

FULL for CH6 is correct and will give -100, 100. It should be controlled by TRN switch.
For CH5 you want the 3-position switch to give -100, 0, 100. HALF will only give 0, 100 as the name implies. So what you need to do is set up 3POS as source with Switch left as ---. This will do what you need in one fell swoop!
To test the output, just look at the graphic screen (the one with the bars on it). You will immediately be able to see if the mixes are working correctly.
I'm not at home right now so can't check this. I'll be home tomorrow and better equipped to deal with questions.
Don't worry about PP. Just think kind thoughts while having one for yourself.

EDIT: The above assumes you are using version 202 or 204 firmware. Please check the version and let me know what you've got. In later versions use sIDx as the source.

For details on setting up mixes see page 27 of "ERsky9x Explained", available at:
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=5581

chubb

Post by chubb » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:07 pm

Buy a Devo 7e and load up deviation flys the Sport Cub S perfect that's what I use

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Return to “openTx model setup”