The Mr. Ersky & Mrs. Bluetooth affair

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
kaos

Re: The Mr. Ersky & Mrs. Bluetooth affair

Post by kaos »

hmm. OK, my D8HT is not hooked up yet. used DJT, and routed the telemetry signal with a servo connector to proper pins, I did hook up all 3 pins: Txd,Rxd,G and I do get RSSI reading on the TX display. wow, 104-103 reading on both Tx/Rx. but surely the TX is right next to the D8R-XP.
I also checked with Frysky FLD-02 display before this, the RSSI reading is the same as on the TX display.

turned the Frysky Dashboard app on cell phone, it connected without any problem, but not RSSI reading data, it shows -1. tried all 3 baud rate.
any idea?
I did turn on the 'BT telemetry' in menu 11/12

Don't have other sensor hooked up yet (still waiting the tele hub/sensors to get here).

kaos

Post by kaos »

Wait. It worked. :D
But this is interesting. when I set the baud rate at any number. turn off everything, and start everything. BT is connected to cell app. but no data. fulling around with it. found once the cell app is connected with BT, you have to change the baud rate from 11K to1.9K or when started with 1.9K to 11K and the data will start to tx without problem, whether I switch from 11K ot 1.9K or from 1.9K to 11k after the data is transmitting, both rates work. one exception, it does not work on 9600 baud, it works both 11K and 1.9k baud rate.

Well, I know the BT works now. :D
Any one has the same phenomenon? or explanation of this?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Maybe 9600 is to slow to transport all data and no valid packets arrive.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Peter wrote:Maybe 9600 is to slow to transport all data and no valid packets arrive.
I guess. but why it does not tx data in the beginning? have to switch around for data to flow?

I also checked Cre8tiveleo's word. about the one line connection. :mrgreen:
YOU ARE RIGHT!
only one line is needed. one line from module Txd to com Rxd. (but not from module Rxd to com Txd).
That will save 2 wires for my DHT installation (and DJT both will be there ;) ) - that's another story :D

With this, we don't need a stereo jack for DJT to connect to the port then. A mono jack should work. in Skynorth's drawing, the Txd from module is connected to the middle ring on a stereo jack. Now if using a mono jack, which pole the module Txd should be attached - outer ring?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Unless you want to use the module's alarm. Then the 2nd line is needed to store them into the module.

kaos

Post by kaos »

then the GND needed for alarm?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No. TXD from module to send telemetry data, RXD to receive configuration data. Not sure if that's used on ersky9x though.
kaos

Post by kaos »

good, GND is not needed still save one wire for dual RF module set up. ;)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

9600 worked fine to my PC for the telemetry data over BT, it only comes from the FrSky module at 9600. It just works! (It is also a Linvor).

Have you got BT on a PC anywhere to try?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kaos

Post by kaos »

Not the desk top, I don't have any of my pc with BT (I put my desktop together and overclocked them, BT is too slow for file transfer, always used usb or Gbit wireless). but I will check if my laptop has one, never used it, always using a usb.
do you have a link for a pc/mac app for Frysky telemetry? free app. ;)

I wonder if it is my cell phone BT does not work at 9600.
Can you explain why the BT does not transmit data until the rate is changed after the link is established? Just curious.
By the way, any way I can check what is the actual tx spd once the data is flowing on my cell or the sky board?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No app, I wrote a test program, but you can use a terminal program to check for data being received.

No idea about the lack of data transmission, I need to get back to BT proramming.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

kaos wrote:... I don't think you ever posted those ebay BT result. All keeping to yourself? ;) Must be too much beer...

Here... you knew a long time ago...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=986&start=30#p15958

:mrgreen:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Curious regarding the baudrate change to start transmission. I note that to change from 19200 to 115200 you have to step through 9600 whichever way you go.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

boy, that was eons ago. ;) My short term memory lasted only 24 hrs nowadays. :mrgreen:
Now I see you never posted your version of ebay BT that I asked. :mrgreen:
but your ebay BT works at 9600. Mine 9600 does not work at all. but the other 2 spd work without any problem after data flow starts. interesting. mine says V 1.03
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Mine is the same v1.3
kaos

Post by kaos »

hmm, weird. mine just does not work at 9600. once switch to 9600 , data stops flowing, switch to the other 2, flows again. This is without turning off/on the Tx or cell phone app. just change it on the fly in Tx baud rate setting.

ps: check this out too, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=189&start=90
kaos

Post by kaos »

MikeB wrote:Curious regarding the baudrate change to start transmission. I note that to change from 19200 to 115200 you have to step through 9600 whichever way you go.

Mike.
Correct! double checked it again, if Tx set at 9600 then turned on, the data flow starts auto, but once switch to 19K or 11K, the 9600 stops functioning, while 19K and 11k works fine. if Tx set at 11k or 19K, data won't start, but once in Tx switch to the other by passing through 9600, the data start, but 9600 still don't have data flow. :? you can see the data stream stops when it goes through 9600.
almost like 9600 is just a switch. ;)

edit: tx set at 9600 and data starts flow auto is not 'consistent'. Also related to if the Tx is turned off completely and restart or not while the cell phone app is turned on and off.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Did more fundling with the BT. I come to the conclusion, in my case using the ebay BT and motorola photon 4G, the only consistent way to have data flow is to have tx set at either 19K or 11K rate, after BT connection is establish, change the rate from 11 or 19K to the other end by passing through 9600, then it does not matter which rate is set at after data start flowing.
If Tx is set at 9600 to begin with, changing it to 11k or 19k most of the time, it would not do anything.

I wonder some other people reported their pad or phone won't work with BT may have similar situation. If they can try this and report back. May be this is a problem of different phone/pad, how these phone/pad set the BT up.
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I spent a few extra bucks to have the BT module sent from the US. I take the package out of the mail box and, whoa, this thing weighs a ton? The friggin idiots sent me a plumbing shut off ball valve!? I am not happy!
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

That sucks but is kind of funny. On a brighter note is it made out of brass? If you got charged for the BT module it may be worth more in scrap value. You could make money on the deal.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Reacher10 wrote:I spent a few extra bucks to have the BT module sent from the US. I take the package out of the mail box and, whoa, this thing weighs a ton? The friggin idiots sent me a plumbing shut off ball valve!? I am not happy!

Now that is funny!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
kaos

Post by kaos »

This is using ERsky r.100 I loaded it today.
The BT still the same way as I described previously. Only I found another common thing. If I set the rate at 19 or 11K, still need to flip through 9600 to start data flow. now if I switch off the android app. but don't turn off the tx. (while now the rate is set at 19K) and turn on the android app again, after BT connect the data flow automatically without a glitch.
I have no clue what is going on. hope this help you to debug at some point.
no rush, I know you are busy Mike.
with the voice capability now on ERsky 9x , I am not even sure the BT is needed. not for telemetry , may be something else.
kaos

Post by kaos »

OK, another thing I found with the BT.
if I hook the Frysky sensor hub to D8R. BT will not work. It still connects but no data flow, no matter I switch the baud rate one way or the other.
once the Frysky sensor is removed from D8R. BT is back to where it used to be, by switching the baud rate will get the data flow without any problem.

Sorry Mike, something more for you to tinker with. ;)
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Where is your Bt module located in your radio?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jgc103
kaos

Post by kaos »

on the side, attached to the Tx box, 90 degree to the main board next to where was reserved to BT with a double sided tape.

did you say your ebay BT works without any problem? using ersky9x? I still don't know why mine has the problem. Actually, my droid app crashed when the frysky sensor hub was attached with a very few times the BT actaully has data flow, but when it does flow it only announced once and app crashed. I wonder if it is my phone problem.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Mine works fine. I just tested it again.
What flavour of Android are you running? I'm just using 2.1 on one device, and the other I think is 2.1 or 2.2.

It could well be the the 2.4ghz range of your BT is being interfered with the 2.4ghz range of your equipment. it is a ebay BT module. I bought two just incase the first one was pooched. I'lll dig that one up and test that one too.
kaos

Post by kaos »

android version: 2.3.5
Frsky dashboard app: 2.0B12

Is thre another android app I can use to try? I only found this FrSky Dashboard.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

At power on, BT modules allow configuration for a while before entering transparent transmission mode for the serial data. On ersky9x r105, there is a debug value displayed on the STAT2 screen. This indicates whether the BT module responded to an enquiry command at the baudrate you have set. It displays 1 if it responded, and 0 otherwise.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

About BT i have found this module on ebay very cheap
http://www.ebay.it/itm/1pcs-Wireless-Bl ... 3a74b3519b

But wiring is not so easy, so I setup the following pcb which allows to plug it on com3 using a female strip header. You will only need to insulate lower BT module pins from vertical traces, but a thin piece of insulating tape will be sufficient.
I used also the frsky usb adapter to enable 115200 speed on the module.
Now I only need to find a android device to test it...
Attachments
bluetooth-adapter.png
bluetooth-adapter.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 13910 times
kaos

Post by kaos »

MikeB wrote:debug value displayed on the STAT2 screen. This indicates whether the BT module responded to an enquiry command at the baudrate you have set. It displays 1 if it responded, and 0 otherwise
whether it has data flow or not, my android app always shows it is connected to linvor at any baudrate set and the debug display always '0'. when times there is data flowing, it still is '0'. :?

ps: ersky9x r-107
Last edited by kaos on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”