Open TX 2.0 and a 9XR (not the pro)

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
AKfreak

Open TX 2.0 and a 9XR (not the pro)

Post by AKfreak »

I have looked everywhere and cant find any information on how to flash my stock 9XR (not the pro) with the latest Open tX firmware via the Open TX 2.0 companion. I was able to create and download a firmware in Open TX 2.0 comp., it was 9XR with only DSM checked. When I tried to flash the radio, I got an avrdude error.

=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
H:/programs x86/Open TX Install Folder/OpenTX/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/CANONF~1/AppData/Local/Temp/7708-backup.bin:r
=================================================================================

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x000102
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATMEGA64 is 1E 96 02
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

Daedalus66

Re: Open TX 2.0 and a 9XR (not the pro)

Post by Daedalus66 »

Most 9XR, except early ones have a 128 chip and need the appropriate firmware.
AKfreak

Post by AKfreak »

I did that and got the same warning. I downloaded the 9Xr 128. I am stumped
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

This parameter is not right:
-p m64
AKfreak

Post by AKfreak »

I bought as new USBASP and we will see if that is the problem. It should work. I tried again with the 9Xr 128 software, still no go.

Also I am on a 64X machine

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

bertrand35 wrote:This parameter is not right:
-p m64
What Bertrand is trying to tell you is that you have to change the settings in companion to a atmega128 (m128). At the moment you have it configured to m64 and that doesn't work. Nothing to do with your 64X machine ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In the first post, you have a completely bad signature being read. You probably need to slow the programming clock down, but that USBASP also has the "cannot set sck" error so won't do that.
Does the new USBASP also give the "cannot set sck" error?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
AKfreak

Post by AKfreak »

I have not got the new one yet. I went in OPEN TX 2.0 and built new firmware 9XR with the atmega128 . I got a similar error. I will wait for the new adapter and see whats happening. I have used that USBASP adapter for many other devices (naze 32 boot loader). AlexMos Gimbal controller, KK boards and it works as it should.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Check that the throttle cut switch is in the down position when flashing.

I get that same error when my switch is in the up position.

Reinhard
AKfreak

Post by AKfreak »

Sorry what is down. I have it flipped away from the face of the radio.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Mixed it up with the Tg9y. But may be worth a try also on a 9xr ??.

Reinhard
AKfreak

Post by AKfreak »

ok I got a brand new Usbasp from 9Xrprogrammer.com. It's called the Usbasp Deluxe, and below is the error I got when I tried to copy the firmware off of the radio in open TX 2.0

Started DFU Util
H:/programs x86/Open TX Install Folder/OpenTX/dfu-util.exe -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000:524288 -d 0483:df11 -UH:/Taranis XD-9 Plus and OPEN TX Folder/9xr firmware from the original radio/original 9xr firmware.bin
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to [email protected]

Filter on vendor = 0x0483 product = 0xdf11
No DFU capable USB device found

DFU Util done - exit code 1
AKfreak

Post by AKfreak »

whoo i got it finally
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Glad you got it going.
Just want to comment that you probably figured out the dfu-util is not used with usbasp programming. Looking further into your command line it mentions Taranis which does use dfu-util. So my quess is you needed to change the setting in 'opentx companion' to reflect that you have a '9x' based radio and not a 'Taranis' based radio.
AKfreak wrote:ok I got a brand new Usbasp from 9Xrprogrammer.com. It's called the Usbasp Deluxe, and below is the error I got when I tried to copy the firmware off of the radio in open TX 2.0

Started DFU Util
H:/programs x86/Open TX Install Folder/OpenTX/dfu-util.exe -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000:524288 -d 0483:df11 -UH:/Taranis XD-9 Plus and OPEN TX Folder/9xr firmware from the original radio/original 9xr firmware.bin
dfu-util 0.7

... snip ...

Return to “openTx”