Taranis - round 2

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Taranis - round 2

Post by Rob Thomson »

So...

A month or so back I ordered one of the HK Taranis radios. (I did already have one in the first batch)

I thought it a good opportunity to see what has changed.

My findings :

- gimbals centre perfectly.
- battery bay is better fitting.
- gimbal spring hooks seem thicker.
- side sliders are better / have clear centre.
- speaker buzz is much reduced.

So all up. An improvement :)

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

jhsa

Re: Taranis - round 2

Post by jhsa »

Great.. good job frsky.. keep like that and you will rule.. ;)

Hmmm, have the feeling I shouldn't have said that :roll:
Or the prices might go up :o :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

If you have time maybe look at what is obvious about any speaker mod Rob.
I think Frsky is going to make good on new sticks for us early owners but the audio and side pots will probably be more difficult to get taken care of.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Nothing obvious as all!

I will check the circuitry and see if I can spot anything.
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Rob,

When you say the Gimbals centre perfectly do you mean when tested in the Monitor window they always return to a zero figure.

The reason I ask is that I have just received what is supposedly a Taranis from the second batch and there are small differences in centring when tested via the monitor window.

I have looked at Scott Pages video on You Tube which shows a return to zero every time but mine does not perform like that. I have difference of 0.3 or 0.4 on the rudder and elevator sticks (mode2) but it is intermittent and sometimes they do centre OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQKDCK4c7S4&feature

OK I am guessing it won't make much difference when flying, however I would like to determine if they are the replacement gimbals or it is a first batch radio with the old gimbals.

Any way to tell which gimbals I have?

From your list of improvements I notice the sliders have a better centre point. I have nothing to compare it with but on my radio the centre point is not too obvious on the sliders.
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

No idea which version you have.

However....

I would not worry at all about a centerings of 0.3

That is really well within tolerance of the electrical component.

Most other radios do not actually show the value so precisely, but instead round the number to the nearest whole.

My sliders are much stiffer than my first radio, and the centre indent is better too.

This 'new' radio was part of the first orders shipped by HK. Must have been about a month back? It has taken a while to get here.

My point in raising these items is simply to show that Frsky are listing. Issues are getting sorts out. Long term - that is exactly what is required :)

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

After reading about it on the other big forum site I think there is nothing to worry about and given my current skills probably would not be noticeable. Popped in a lump of foam behind the speaker which improved the audio no end.
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

My Taranis, which I have been own couple weeks now, is from second batch also. It's produced 08/21/2013 and I have same thing that sometimes sticks center to exact 0.0 (most of the time luckily) and sometimes it varies between 0.2 - 0.3 so nothing to worry about. :)

- Speaker is c**p and that background noise is annoying (I'm just about to do something for it).
- Sliders....those slides... not good at all, but that's a minor thing.
- Screen flickers when some sound is played (for example when trimming). Not good thing.
- The gray bar at the top of the screen makes screen look like messy. Especially when there are some text below it and not so much in that 'highlighted' row (radio setup page 1 for example). The texts somehow shows "through" from that bar.
- I'd like to have some rubber like surface on there where you hold the fingers when hodling the radio. Like Devo radios has (I have couple). Those makes it feel comfortable and professional.

Minor things for this price, but I think those could be easily fixed when manufactured, which could make the radio to feel even more quality one.
What goes up, must come down. -Isaac Newton
OpenTX - expanding possibilities
janekx

Post by janekx »

Sorry that is not right.
Speaker buzz is horrible. Screen flickers when sound or press trims.
Side sliders have not noticible centers. All other is right. Taranis arrive today fron T9 2nd batch.
What the hell it that for?

Odesláno z mého GT-I9300 pomocí Tapatalk 4

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”