SOLVED Help! Cannot burn openTX to 9xr

A fork of eePe. It's aim is to provide one tool that works with ALL firmwares!
butchalline

SOLVED Help! Cannot burn openTX to 9xr

Post by butchalline »

UPDATE: Flashed with win 8. Programmer and hardware all ok. My thanks to Randy Perkins.

I cannot flash my 9xr with openTX using Ubuntu, Windows, OSX, Companion 9x, and usbasp programmer.

I have been working with Randy Perkins of http://9xrprogrammer.com supplier of the usbasp programmer, but we have yet to succeed. I hope that someone can come up with a "silver bullet", new ideas, or at least a trouble shooting path to follow.

The hardware:
MacbookPro with OSX 10.7.5 - got Companion9x (ver.0.97, rev.1382) to run, but there are no choices for 9xr and openTX/open9x.

Toshiba Satellite running Windows 8.0 - Got unsigned driver for usbasp operational according to control panel. Got Companion9x (ver. 1.44, rev. 2201) to run, but could not flash and got no error messages.

Asus 1015 PEB netbook with Ubuntu 12.0.4 LTS - Companion9x (Ver 1.44, rev. 2201) runs but cannot burn. Most troubleshooting is done in Ubuntu using terminal. Ubuntu is a third language for me, but I can get around in it.

All of the above used USBasp programmer from Perkins, USB 2.0 ports, early Turnigy 9xr with Atmel m64.

On the 9xr, I have cleaned and resoldered the wires between avrisp receptacle the motherboard, tried burning with and without: Tx power, RF module, blue LED ready light.
When dongle is plugged into 9xr, voltage is 4.48V (measured with DVM at mobo).

On dongle: I have traced continuity from ten pin to mobo. Parallelled 5V, 5A regulated power to the Vcc and Gnd. Used AC powered USB hub.

All of the above with no joy. All I get when trying to burn or read is: "error: could not find USB device…" I CAN find the device with terminal, but as soon as I plug in the 9xr, I get back to "cannot find device..."

Anyone with a 9xr living near Oak Ridge, TN?

HELP! Please.
Last edited by butchalline on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilrah

Re: Help! Cannot burn openTX to 9xr

Post by Kilrah »

I'd say defective USBASP...

What if you try to cut the VCC line between programmer and radio? Radio should stay off when connected to the programmer and USB, once confirmed turn radio power on (with a battery in of course) and try flashing.
rperkins

Re: SOLVED Help! Cannot burn openTX to 9xr

Post by rperkins »

Glad you got it going. Happy flying

Return to “companion9x”