FrSky telemetry

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
nsf

FrSky telemetry

Post by nsf »

Guys I need you help one again.
But first I want to apologise if this has already been discussed (searched everywhere and couldn't find it).
Got a 9x with the latest version of the sky9x board and running opentx R2152 but I'm only starting using the telemetry now .
I'm trying to set everything in the radio but not gona get there without your help.
First thing. I have a D6FR FrSky receiver and I cant get the voltage reading after setting the A1 channel in the radio. Acording to the receiver instructions it has a built-in battery voltage sensor. Any idea why it doesn't work?
But, if I connect a voltage sensor (FLVS-01) to the A2 port in the receiver and plug it to the battery and set the A2 channel In the transmiter I get the current reading.
Another thing. I have 2 temperature sensors connected to a sensor hub that is plugged to the A2 port in the receiver. The power to the hub is also coming from the receiver using a free channel. But I have no temperature reading in the radio. How do I set it?

One more thing.
Any idea why this happens? Is it a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

mpjf01

Re: FrSky telemetry

Post by mpjf01 »

I can't help with the A1 voltage, can't get mine to work either. But try plugging the hub into the G Tx Rx port rather than the A2 port.
kaos

Post by kaos »

I didn't know you can plug FLVS-01 directly to A2 port. Thought you need a hub for flvs-01 then connect the hub to the com port as mpjf01 stated.
when you put a jumper on A1(x,A1), A1 should report the Rx voltage.
nsf

Post by nsf »

I cant plug the hub to the G TX RX port because the D6FR doesn't have one, ony a A2 port.
kaos wrote:when you put a jumper on A1(x,A1), A1 should report the Rx voltage.
What do you mean Kaos, could you explain
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

You can't plug a hub into the a2 port. You need a receiver with the serial port. No idea why a1 doesn't work for you though. The stock divider is a 4:1 or 13.2v max.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

kaos

Post by kaos »

nsf: my apology. I was thinking D8R rx. the D6FR is different. it does not have a digital com port like D8R or D4R (It is strange that D6FR does not). but I looked at the D6Fr manual , there is only one A2 Analog port and a built in AD1.
As Ghosthb says, your AD1 should work without FLV-01 attached. I think when you attach FLVS-01 it just put out junk to mess up your reading because FLVS-01 does not give out the analog signal that A2 port needs.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

That's my fault, Sorry. I looked on the website to see if there was a com port on the D6 but the photo only showed the other side of the Rx so I assumed it would be there. Bit of a worry that the product description doesn't mention that it cannot be used with the hub though.

I have a similar problem with the A1 voltage. I am using Tez and see no voltages on A1 or A2 on the 9x screen (just zero). The RSSI etc are there. The jumper is connected to A1. I have tried with a D8R - both models.

Oddly I am sure that it used to work and as far as I can tell I haven't changed anything since, not even re-flashed the Tx firmware.

The same receivers report Rx voltage when used with FRS_Logger.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Did you set the Range parameter on the telemetry setup page? This needs to be 13.2 for the internal sensor, for the external it depends on what divider you're using.
kaos wrote:the D6FR is different. it does not have a digital com port like D8R or D4R (It is strange that D6FR does not).
Originally only the D8 had a COM port. The D4R saw it added in the -II version, but the D6 never was redesigned, and is now discontinued. Not many sales I guess.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

didn't know that the D6FR is discontinued.. what a shame :o
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

If the d6 had a com port - it would have sold well :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Maybe they are creating a 6 channel with the comm port. I would think they might release it after the new radios, so it may even have the newer comm port.
-Gohst
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

gohsthb wrote:No idea why a1 doesn't work for you though. The stock divider is a 4:1 or 13.2v max.
I have modified my D6FR so that the A1 is available on outside. Yes it is annoying that they haven't come out with a 6 channel RX that has both A1, A2 and a hub port on it.
Kilrah wrote:but the D6 never was redesigned, and is now discontinued. Not many sales I guess.
The Frsky site doesn't show the D6FR as being discontinued. It is still available for sale on the sites I have looked at. Hopefully they will come out with a new 6 channel RX (telemetry) with all the whistles and bells on it, and still retain the small size.
kaos

Post by kaos »

change D4FR to 6ch. Perfect! ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Flaps 30 wrote:The Frsky site doesn't show the D6FR as being discontinued.
This was announced by Alofthobbies. They also mentioned they got them to do one more batch for them, so they should have some for a while. They said there will be a new one indeed, but they feared it would be bigger due to the extra connectors.
nsf

Post by nsf »

Kilrah wrote:Did you set the Range parameter on the telemetry setup page? This needs to be 13.2 for the internal sensor, for the external it depends on what divider you're using.
Do I have to set the 13.2 as the range in the telemetry setup page for the A1 channel, or set the range accordingly so the A1 channel shows 13.2?
Either way, I doesn't work. When I move the throttle, for example, theres no change in the voltage.
Unless I'm connecting something wrong. For testing, I'm plugging the battery to an ESC, that is connected to channel 3 in the receiver.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Stupid question, Do you have a motor connected to the ESC?
The 13.2 number is the range for the voltage divider sensor you are using. the maximum voltage allowed at the A1 and A2 ports is 3.3V
So if you have a 1:4 divider ratio, that means that the maximum allowed voltage at it's imput is 3.3V x 4 = 13.2V. that will define the range so the radio displays the correct voltage..

something else, if you have the D6FR receiver and are trying to use the A1 port you won't be able to measure the flight battery as this port is internally connected to the receiver power supply. So if you are using a BEC you won't be able to read the flight battery as the receiver is powered by the bec and the voltage is a constant 5V.
To measure the flight battery you must connect a sensor/voltage divider to the A2 port..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

13.2 is the correct setting for A1 range. A1 reports the rx voltage which is now supplied by your ESC's built in BEC. so there 'should' not and better not be any change of the voltage when throttle is moved. if A1 fluctuates a lot means your ESC built in BEC is not very good especially when you attach multiple servos to the rx. If your A1 display a 5 v or 5.5 v (depends on your ESC's BEC) then it is good.
you need to get a FBVS-01 voltage sensor to plug in A2 for your fly batttery voltage. FLVS-01 needs to be connected to a sensor hub then to a com port which your D6F rx don't have.
like this one: http://www.alofthobbies.com/battery-voltage-sensor.html
nsf

Post by nsf »

jhsa wrote:Stupid question, Do you have a motor connected to the ESC?
The 13.2 number is the range for the voltage divider sensor you are using. the maximum voltage allowed at the A1 and A2 ports is 3.3V
So if you have a 1:4 divider ratio, that means that the maximum allowed voltage at it's imput is 3.3V x 4 = 13.2V. that will define the range so the radio displays the correct voltage..

something else, if you have the D6FR receiver and are trying to use the A1 port you won't be able to measure the flight battery as this port is internally connected to the receiver power supply. So if you are using a BEC you won't be able to read the flight battery as the receiver is powered by the bec and the voltage is a constant 5V.
To measure the flight battery you must connect a sensor/voltage divider to the A2 port..

João
Yes I have a motor connectd to the esc.
What do you mean I won't be able to measure the flight battery using the A1 port. According to the instructions, the D6FR has. I built-in battery sensor. It doesn't work?
Can I connect the voltage senor directly to the A2 port, or I have to plug it to a sensor hub?
nsf

Post by nsf »

kaos wrote:13.2 is the correct setting for A1 range. A1 reports the rx voltage which is now supplied by your ESC's built in BEC. so there 'should' not and better not be any change of the voltage when throttle is moved. if A1 fluctuates a lot means your ESC built in BEC is not very good especially when you attach multiple servos to the rx. If your A1 display a 5 v or 5.5 v (depends on your ESC's BEC) then it is good.
you need to get a FBVS-01 voltage sensor to plug in A2 for your fly batttery voltage. FLVS-01 needs to be connected to a sensor hub then to a com port which your D6F rx don't have.
Setting the A1 range at 13.2 i get around 5 to 5.5v. Is that correct then? If the voltage doesn't change when moving the throttle, what's the point of this? How do we control the flight pack voltage?
Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm just starting to use the telemetry.
kaos

Post by kaos »

like I said, to measure your flight pack battery you need a FBVS-01 sensor to plug in A2 port. the A1 is to measure rx voltage. there are people using extra battery pack or external BEC to supply rx/servo power instead of using the built in BEC in ESC to supply the rx power and servos.
Your FLVS-01 is to be used with a sensor hub then to the rx com port that a D6FR rx does not have. to use your FLVS-01 sensor you need a D4FR or D8R rx and a sensor hub.
your A1 display of 5-5.5 v is correct. your ESC bult-in BEC is supplying that voltage to rx, that is the voltage most micro/mini servos can use. If your A1 starts to drop significantly when all your servos are functioning, that is an indication of your BEC is inadequate for your set up. If you read your ESC/BEC spec, there is a amp and voltage put out by your built in BEC. and each servo will need certain voltage/amp to operate properly. Based on the demand of your model set up, you need to pick appropriate BEC. Like a 2A BEC won't be able to support a model has 6-7 servos on it.

there is no question that is dumb, you are just unfamiliar with these things, yet. ;) We all have our 1st step to go on a journey.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

nsf wrote: Setting the A1 range at 13.2 i get around 5 to 5.5v. Is that correct then? If the voltage doesn't change when moving the throttle, what's the point of this? How do we control the flight pack voltage?
Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm just starting to use the telemetry.
Some models don't use a BEC to power the receiver, like models powered by internal combustion engines. They have a battery to power the receiver and servos. Also unpowered gliders.
Like this it makes sense to measure the receiver voltage.
You can also make your own divider easily and use the A2 to measure the flight battery.. Please search this forum and you might find out how.. If you don't just ask ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

My df6r's only have a external a2 port. The a1 is tied internally to the RX battery input buss. It will only report what the RX power level is, usually 5v from the BEC or RX power input. I used a divider I made but Frsky sells one that I connect to the A2 input and my motor lipo to report it's value to my telemetry in my 9x. There is no data input as mentioned for a hub or other data devices to plug into on the version RX.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
nsf

Post by nsf »

jhsa wrote: Some models don't use a BEC to power the receiver, like models powered by internal combustion engines. They have a battery to power the receiver and servos. Also unpowered gliders.
Like this it makes sense to measure the receiver voltage.

João
Good point, never thought of that.
nsf

Post by nsf »

So, let me get this straight. The only telemetry data available in the D6FR is the receiver voltage, and eventually, the flight pack voltage, using a divider plugged to the A2 port?
Can someone pojnt me to a divider to use in the A2 port (DIY or not).
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

NSF - Yes you have that all correct. The devider you are looking for is here ----> http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=41 You will find them on Ebay and many other places
nsf

Post by nsf »

Thanks Flaps. I have one of those already. Is it just a plug and play to the A2 port or needs something more.
kaos

Post by kaos »

kaos wrote:13.2 is the correct setting for A1 range. A1 reports the rx voltage which is now supplied by your ESC's built in BEC. so there 'should' not and better not be any change of the voltage when throttle is moved. if A1 fluctuates a lot means your ESC built in BEC is not very good especially when you attach multiple servos to the rx. If your A1 display a 5 v or 5.5 v (depends on your ESC's BEC) then it is good.
kaos wrote:like I said, to measure your flight pack battery you need a FBVS-01 sensor to plug in A2 port. the A1 is to measure rx voltage. there are people using extra battery pack or external BEC to supply rx/servo power instead of using the built in BEC in ESC to supply the rx power and servos.
Your FLVS-01 is to be used with a sensor hub then to the rx com port that a D6FR rx does not have. to use your FLVS-01 sensor you need a D4FR or D8R rx and a sensor hub.
your A1 display of 5-5.5 v is correct. your ESC bult-in BEC is supplying that voltage to rx, that is the voltage most micro/mini servos can use. If your A1 starts to drop significantly when all your servos are functioning, that is an indication of your BEC is inadequate for your set up. If you read your ESC/BEC spec, there is a amp and voltage put out by your built in BEC. and each servo will need certain voltage/amp to operate properly. Based on the demand of your model set up, you need to pick appropriate BEC. Like a 2A BEC won't be able to support a model has 6-7 servos on it.

there is no question that is dumb, you are just unfamiliar with these things, yet. ;) We all have our 1st step to go on a journey.
sounds like you missed these 2 posts completely. ;)

and yes, the FBVS-01 or you call it the divider is a plug and play. one end plug to the rx, the other end plug into your fly pack balancing plug red and black wire (unless you want to make a Y split to your main battery + - wire)
it only measures the total voltage of the fly pack, does not measrue the individual cell voltage like the FLVS-01. unless you want to measure just one specific cell of your pack then plug it to that cell's + and - wire at the balancing plug.
salience

Post by salience »

On another FrSKy telemetry matter, I'm using the mods on my 9x, so I see telemetry data in the Tx window. I've got the sensor hub and several sensors, and I see no way to calibrate the T1 and Alt. Is it possible? Right now T1 shows -15C when in fact it is about +15 in the shop. Alt shows 982m when in fact the alt is 840m. The GAlt from the GPS sensor does indeed read 836m. (I live high!;> ....in the mountains).
kaos

Post by kaos »

The Alt I believe you can calibrate to 'ground' level by long press 'menu' while at the display screen. I don't think you can calibrate to sea level now. As for T1 that may be a bug, some how the minus sign showed up. what FW you are using?
salience

Post by salience »

version is er9x-r780 V1.6636-Mike
I think there is a later one @ 174,225 bytes but WHEN I flashed it I got "jumping menus" - highlighted item jumped around by itself, couldn't set items... so I reverted to the previous 175121 bytes fw.

"calibrate to 'ground' level by long press 'menu' while at the display screen."

Which screen? there are 2, neither of which has the Alt item.

Maybe I can calibrate these from the FrSky FLD-02?

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”