Turnigy 9x / Hobbyking V2 Firmware

Programming your 9x using the stock firmware that comes with the radio. (Note. This is for the th9x, not the X9R)
adza

Turnigy 9x / Hobbyking V2 Firmware

Post by adza »

Hi,

I am new to RC and am looking at the Turnigy 9x transmitter.

My question is in regards to the default firmware (or more particularly the v2 of the firmware that Hobbyking has recently announced is available with all it's new 9x modules).

From browsing the net and these forums, it would appear as though the original firmware is pretty poor, and it is highly recommended to flash upgrade (if not almost compulsary)?

I was wondering - does the new v2 'factory' firmware fix the original issues. Is it still necessary to expect to flash - or is the latest factory firmware vastly improved?

Thanks in Advance

Adza

ShowMaster

Re: Turnigy 9x / Hobbyking V2 Firmware

Post by ShowMaster »

The v2 FW talked about is still over a year+ old. It's still very limited and I believe is shy er9x was created. Later came open9x. Both can be used and will super charge a boring limited stick 9x and also double the model memories.
There are non solder and solder programming options to upgrade the firmware and add telemetry display as well.
If you want to just upgrade the FW or add telemetry as well is the first decision and then we can go from there.
Soldering options cost less but requires soldering and small circuit work. The non solder option is Smartiparts and you can read about it here and in more detail on the SP site.

Tell us more about what you want to do and we'll go from there.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
kaos

Post by kaos »

adza wrote:I am new to RC
If you are totally new to RC as you stated, I would say stay with the stock FW for a while till you out run its capability. or you will get your hands full. especially if you don't have computer programing back ground. There are a lot of terminology, hardware to learn in RC. All at the same time may not be the best way to start.
Er9x or open9x really shines when you get into more complicated programing/function. But for a RC beginner, it can be overwhelming while you don't need them or not using them yet. Meanwhile start to read more about stock FW and er9x/open9x.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The stock FW as Kaos stated will fly your plane. It's when you need more mixes or options that the better FW's are a better choice.
One simple upgrade is before you invest in too many 9x RXs, consider upgrading to the Frsky tx module and RXs. Simple module plugin for the TX. If your tx has the antenna coax going to it that will have to be unsoldered to reuse it or just cut the coax.
You'll want the Frsky system if you think you'll want telemetry so don't stock up on the less dependable stock 9x RXs!
It'll be more expensive starting over later.
Finally you should get rid of the stock AA holder ASAP. It can make bad contact at any time.
Use a Life04 3 cell 9.9v battery, a safe choice, or a less safe lipo. Both better choices. If you do change batteries please make an adapter out of the 3pin connector on the stock pack being careful about polarity. Many use a 2 pin to plug into the 3 pin tx board connector and that can allow a battery reversal and blow the board.
A 3 pin servo type FM plug with the center pin + is also a safe one to use.
Good luck.
All things to think about after putting some time in flying your new tx.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
adza

Post by adza »

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

The first thing I would like to do is have a 3 or 4 way flap switch.

I was thinking along the lines of the following:

Use the 3 position switch to have flaps at 0, 50% and 100% so I can takeoff and landing flaps.

I also thought about going one further, and using a second switch to have a 'reverse' flaps option. (so it takes flaps from 0% to -25%).

This way I could also play with negative flaps.

I know that I can use the POT for flaps, but if I'm thermaling, I may not know where flaps are actually positioned. Thus I'd like to use switches.

With the above setup I should be able to achieve:

-25% (F 0 / SW2 on)
0% / Neutral (F 0 / SW 2 off)
25% (F1 / SW2 On)
50% (F1 / SW2 Off)
75% (F2 / SW2 On)
100% (F2 / SW2 Off)

Where F is the multi / 3 position function switch, and SW2 is another switch (gear or other)?

Even just to achieve 3 position switch for 0%, 50% and 100% would be nice to start with.

This is an example of stuff I would like to achieve with the 9x. Is this possible with the factory default, or should I really be considering shipping my unit somewhere and paying someone to update the firmware for me?

Also - thanks for the suggestion regarding FRSKY too. I don't think I'll buy any more receivers until I decide in which direction I wish to head.

Cheers

Adza

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I suspect you will need a custom firmware. The stock one is rather limited in this area.
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
kaos

Post by kaos »

yep, what you are trying to do is way beyond what stock FW can do.
But from what I am reading you are trying to do, really does not sound like some one 'new to RC' . :twisted:
adza

Post by adza »

New to rc yes, but i have been flying for over a decade in real aircraft. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I'll look at getting firmware updated.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
kaos

Post by kaos »

my guess is you are a lawyer too. Only lawyers talk like that - only give you half of the info at a time but is absolutely correct. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never the less, enjoy the er9x/open9x. You will have fun with them. ;)
adza

Post by adza »

Rofl kaos. No, I'm far from being a lawyer. Just figured that there was no point mentioning real aviation as i didn't think it was a factor regarding firmware, or that it was really relevant to the issue.

Thanks for the info. I shall talk to someone about getting the smarty pants module installed

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
kaos

Post by kaos »

adza wrote: Thanks for the info. I shall talk to someone about getting the smarty pants module installed
Good idea, don't running naked around here. This is supposedly a well respected group here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: sorry! can't help it! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Parts parts parts Smartieparts

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a beer.. welcome to the forum

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
adza

Post by adza »

Thanks for the advise guys... Having another look at the Smartyparts option, since there is no soldering required, I might try it myself and see if I can get it to work OK...

Guess this will be the only time I'll be in the stock firmware section of the forum. :-) It seems as though the stock firmware isn't just limited, but almost crippled?

LOL @ the pant's mistake... I won't be doing that again. :oops:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You're not the first and won't be the last, believe me.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “stock firmware (fly sky th9x)”