Range alarm at short range frsky

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
MonkeysPunk

Re: Range alarm at short range frsky

Post by MonkeysPunk »

Thanks for the info Flaps. I have striped the broken one and now its 29.5 left exposed so will stick it back in the receiver and also shorten the other one to suit. Will use the shorter overall one for horizontal and the full length for the tube antenna.

MonkeysPunk

Post by MonkeysPunk »

Think it maybe a fualty receiver after all.thought I would have a look on the receiver under the magnifying glass to see if I could see anything obviously faulty and there was a really tiny black component loose in there. When I say loose I actually mean not connected at all and stuck to the db sided tape.There is another one that looks the same soldered on the board and I can't find anywhere that looks like it has anything missing but lights in the reciver and it says it bound but its not sending any messages to the flight controller anymore and the led was then one for a few seconds when I powered up. This is the part I found. All the white on the components is just the foam tape they use to keep it in the wrapping.Image
MonkeysPunk

Post by MonkeysPunk »

Quick update. I am still using my old reciver as don't trust the other one anymore. I have also added a 40cm antenna in replace of the 15cm one that comes with it. It is now up about 20cm from the carbon and its giving me a huge improvement. In fact I can tell how huge as I can't get to the limit of the range and get the beeps due to my 250mw FPV gear not having that range. What an improvement though. Think I will dump that reciver and get another. I must have flown about 1800mts this morning and there was power lines about also that made no difference.
Well happy and thanks for all the advice guys.;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

good that it is working.. :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Are there any reports of the Frsky modules failing or having lower power after normal use. In over a year of regular flying I've not had any range or RSSI issues. Lately several fellow er9x, Frsky flyers are reporting loss of range and RSSI reading 0.
Because they did their own 9x mods and have maybe had a few crashes due to pilot error, I've ignored it.
Today another Futaba Frsky flyer suddenly has 30Ft, 10 meters or less of range test. Two different setup, two different Frsky 6Ck RXs.
Everything's been ok in the past. Unfortunately non of us had a Frsky module tx to test with today. I'm assuming his Futba Frsky module is trouble. Fortunately he's going to be shop where he bought the Frsky equipment tomorrow. He's going to have the shop check it out and do what needs to be done to get his range back on a simple SkySurfer. He's going to let me know the outcome.
I thought I'd post this in case it's happened to others?
So far flying at the same spot I've never had even a glitch I know about.
I don't think it's an interference issue.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Haven't heard from TX modules failing, but I've heard from broken antennas (both on TX and RX). Try to swap that with a known working one too.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Double check the receiver antenna.

These can be damaged so easily!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I would say, double check the TX antenna.. If people spin it a lot to change position it can fail.. It's not the first time that happened.. Please swap it as Kilrah suggested above.
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

A bad tx antenna would make sense as the most common failure point that would suddenly effect rage except for a output power issue.
Hopefully I'll know today what was found by email.

If we all agree I may start a topic just for Frsky device failures and fixes of any?
It would be a common place for all Frsky related failures.
In over a year and a half I've only had one out of 10 systems have any trouble and it was my wiring error. To date no tx or RX failures in normal use.
I know however that broken tx antennas and RX antennas have been discussed with fixes. I think someone was actually able to make his RX make a popping sound and make smoke.
Ther's also carbon fiber work arounds.

So is a new topic something we want?
SM

ShowMaster
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The answer is, a bad Frsky module.
Good news it failed for unknown reasons after many months of good service. It was purchased from Aloft and still on warranty so it was replaced free of charge. Good customer service from aloft has so far been the best I understand. A lot closer if you live in the states than China.
My friend is good to go again and never actually lost a plane. The module was beeping telling him something was wrong so he didn't fly it.
Can't complain about that!
SM

ShowMaster

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”