trainer cable

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
noobee

trainer cable

Post by noobee »

is there a schematic for the trainer cable? is it a crossover cable (which 2 pins crossover?) or a straight 3 conductor cable?

thanks

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: trainer cable

Post by Rob Thomson »

Assuming you are connecting 9x to 9x then a standard 3.5mm stereo cable (male both ends) will work without any problems.
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For a 9X to a 9X it is a straight MONO jack plug to jack plug. When you plug into the trainee (student) tx, the jack plug causes power from the battery in the student tx to be switched the the student control board, but not the student transmitting module. Er9x in the student tx sees the transmitting module is not powered, so outputs the PPM control signal.

On the master system you have the power switch ON so the transmitting module is powered. Er9x in the master system sees the transnmitting module is powered, so receives and processes the incoming PPM signal from the student.

There is circuitry on the control board that switches the trainer signal to input or output, as required.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

A quick interjection, following on from a comment reply to me in another section, which reminded me where I'd seen this mod to the transmitter.

If you are using 2 9X sets together, there is a possible small mod that may be required to avoid problems with power distribution to the relevant sections of the 2 TX modules.

It's appropriate to all 9X transmitters, even if they are using the base unmodified firmware, as far as I am aware, but the details are located in one of the firmware mod support areas.

For the relevant PDF file, follow the link to http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/PPMinFix.pdf
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_
noobee

Post by noobee »

cool, thanks for the responses and description!

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Irish Steve wrote:...they are using the base unmodified firmware, as far as I am aware, but the details...

You need the ppm fix if you use the stock Turnigy module. The best is to do the mod inside the module itself. If you use a different module, you do not have to do this mod. I have two Turnigy radios with spektrum tx moduels inside, and they are not ppm fixed, they work great as either the master or slave when using as a buddy box. the two Stock Turnigy radios I have are both modified inside the module, and again, they work that way.
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

Thanks for the clarification, it's certainly worth making sure that the base system users with the Turnigy modules are aware of it, I'm guessing that Hobbyking are selling the bulk of these units at the moment.

The good part of this is the clarity that's starting to be documented in a way that makes it easier for the users to find, I'm not that far down the 9X road yet, so having the essentials highlighted from in among all the other things that are going on is a huge help, and it's made life a lot simpler for me.

My first 9X will be going into a little Skyartec Ninja, the second a Trex 500 and then one of them will move into a real golden oldie, a 1980's Graupner Bell 212 that will have to be treated with great respect, as it's almost irreplaceable, and spares are like hens teeth at this stage, a friend of mine has one that he's owned for close on 30 years, and is restoring, it crashed a long time ago, and was in strorage for years, then he found some parts, and decided to restore it to flying condition again, so to find a second one that's also still flyable was a real bonus, 2 of them in (very) loose formation should look seriously impressive, they're BIG beasts, so it will be a while before I go near the one I'm looking after.

thanks for the extra information
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

If you use the HK backlight this mod should be done to keep the PPM out with trainer working.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ount=12455
He posted a picture in a later post.
SM
AlanGP

Post by AlanGP »

Hi,

Trainer cable should be Mono to Mono, pin to pin and shield to shield, although a standard commercial stereo 3.5 jack to jack cable will work.

I also understand that, with ER9X firmware, the PPMin Mod (inline resistor) for the standard Turnigy RF module is not required. Perhaps MikeB could confirm this (or shoot me down).

Alan
Anything can be made to fly - wings are just an option

Return to “Hardware Mods”