Turnigy 9XR General

Hardware Support for the 9XR
qwerty009

Re: Turnigy 9XR General

Post by qwerty009 »

Has someone figured out the good way to make telemetry mod? And i guess that 9x soft (telemetry vers) would be the one to use?

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Guess you could use the normal wire to the pins.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Now...

Am I the only one who cannot find the trim switches when flying on the 9xR?

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Question about the new radio. Is there still a capacitor on the reset line as mentioned in below referenced post ?

It caused me problems when programming. Am planning on reprogramming a bunch of chinese usbasp's and need to determine whether to use the stock firmware or the patched version provided by Romolo. My current thinking is to use the patched version unless the 9xr has had the cap removed from the reset line.

Thanks

Post about cap on reset line
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=705#p9471

Post about patch for usbasp
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363&p=29551#p19315
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

bertrand35 wrote:Good to know. I still wait for mine again blocked somewhere in a post office. A link for the push buttons to buy?
Bertrand.
You can buy copies of the Omron ones here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160935882254?ss ... 1497.l2649
$4.85 with postage for 20.

I installed another kind of micro push buttons that worked fine, even if they were on the verge of being to large (4*4*1.5mm). The super low height made them a perfect fit. The best thing about them was the price. $3.50 on ebay including postage from China. For 100!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150971842919?ss ... 1497.l2649

Here is link to a video where you can see them live:
http://youtu.be/fYHOy7m_J7I

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I would say they are the same used in some arduino boards ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Great video.. ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
hageha

Post by hageha »

dvogonen

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9XR General

Post by dvogonen »

I am almost certain that you would have problems soldering those since they are a bit wider than the ones I used and those were almost to wide.
qwerty009

Re: TH9XR Pin 41,42,43 Vias at U6 for Telemetry ???

Post by qwerty009 »

Helle wrote:Hy,

I have only pictures from the top and the bottom side of the PCB of the TH9XR but no 9XR for myself

But I think there are the Pins 41,42,43 of the AT64 at the top-side via Vias at the bottum side connected to U6 Pin 9,10,11

So it could be more simple for Mod the Telemetry for Frsky, use the Vias to solder

load and zoom both picture, look at my red rectangels and compare yourself

Could anyone test this?

hope i am not wrong

does anyone have pictures around U6 top and bottom-side of the PCB

Helle
So those pads that were unconnected in 9x are now connected to 14051b (multiplexer/demultiplexer)?
If i solder telemetry wires to those pins will it work (so that anything else doesn't stop working).
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

The 4051 multiplexer allows 2 more analog inputs on the Battery - A/D input.
If you run the telemetry through it , then it will be switching its input . you will most likely loose the accurate Battery reading.

You would need to disable the 4051 chip , by adding a jumper wire between pin 13 to 3 so that the Battery connection goes the A/D input.
I have not tried this ..just my best guess.
-Brent
mhotar

Post by mhotar »

Hi All,
I done switch mod also with Atmega128A replacement on my 9XR.
There is something wrong with It. All went good, programmed fuses, flashed firmware, but when I am pressing LEFT or RIGHT or UP or DOWN it reboots the radio. Not all times but up to 10x presses. EXIT and MENU are wired the same way, 100n cap and 220R resistor but they works OK. I checked open9x_128 and 64 also er9x, er9x128 all the same. Checked with oscilloscope, all looks good on these pins. When I use 2k resistor instead of the switch it works with no problems. Can be a issue with fast edges on the switches in software routines?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

So...

The wise powers that be have decided to send me a warning regarding us referring people on the 9xR forums about always referring people back to this forum. They seem unhappy that we always back link people here.

Probably got upset that I posted back links in their sections they created. "all about open9x" and "all about er9x"

Probably then also got upset that when someone asked for a template for a model, I referred them to the existing template library on out forums.

Seems to me they want us to use their forum and support the users (for free) but on their terms and in their systems.

Then firmwares of course run on radios above and beyond the 9xR. Open9x will soon run on 4 different radios and boards. Er9x/sky9x will run on multiple systems. My point. The firmwares, cannot and their support cannot and should not bet tied to a manufacturer. This will only results in a bias that, is not evenly balanced across vendors etc.

Oh well... My initial reaction is... So much for that. I am not going to bother assisting people on their forum anymore. No real point.

I will leave there internal teams to work out how to support the platform they are using.

:mrgreen:

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Lol...

I just checked and it seems that they have deleted the posts I made.

For reference they where in:

http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/forum-f11.html

and

http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/forum-f12.html

--

What the posts said was something along the line of.
Subject: All about open9x?

All information you need on open9x can be found on the google project page:
http://code.google.com/p/er9x

For access to the developers who wrote the firmware, they can be found here:
viewforum.php?f=45

~
Note. The developers of the opensource firmwares setup openrcforums.com to better support the community over a year ago. Their preferred communication for any questions is through their forum.
I guess they did not like the note I entered at the bottom?

What is curious is that they could have just edited that bit - but they seem to have also not wanted to post a link to the google project pages?

I find this rather strange.

Oh well.

Guess it just shows that the HK idea is probably to try pull all traffic to them, and become the center for everything to do with the firmwares.
mhotar

Post by mhotar »

mhotar wrote:Hi All,
I done switch mod also with Atmega128A replacement on my 9XR.
There is something wrong with It. All went good, programmed fuses, flashed firmware, but when I am pressing LEFT or RIGHT or UP or DOWN it reboots the radio. Not all times but up to 10x presses. EXIT and MENU are wired the same way, 100n cap and 220R resistor but they works OK. I checked open9x_128 and 64 also er9x, er9x128 all the same. Checked with oscilloscope, all looks good on these pins. When I use 2k resistor instead of the switch it works with no problems. Can be a issue with fast edges on the switches in software routines?
I also checked th9x with no luck. All the same. Any of the four buttons I am pressing, sometimes reboots the radio.
I had to place 1k resistors to switch lines. I dont understand why this happens, EXIT and MENU have no problems and are wired the same way. If there is a firmware bug it has to be pretty old.
With these resistors it woks OK. Controller is Atmega128A, placed switches are B3U-1000P
DSCF0197.png
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Rob Thomson wrote:I just checked and it seems that they have deleted the posts I made.
Thanks for the update. you tried. Sad, but to be expected when marketing is the real goal. I have a couple OCZ ssd drives. Now that 'forum' was a rude dictatorship for sure.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

mhotar wrote: With these resistors it woks OK. Controller is Atmega128A, placed switches are B3U-1000P
Maybe you could change just one thing at a time ?
Since it's probably too much work to put the original micro controller back , could you go back to the standard switches and see if it works.

my guess is that one of the new switches is shorting to ground sometimes and resetting the micro controller.

You talked about 'leading edges' not sure what you meant but the er9x source shows a 40ms debounce here. Note I did not follow this through to see how or if it is actually implemented. The code comments are mostly still in the original German

Code: Select all

rperkins@htpc:~/src/er9x-read-only/src$ grep -r debounce *
drivers.cpp:  uint8_t m_vals:FILTERBITS;   // key debounce?  4 = 40ms
mhotar

Post by mhotar »

rperkins wrote:
Maybe you could change just one thing at a time ?
You are right offcourse, I replaced controller first and checked on the bench only.
rperkins wrote: Since it's probably too much work to put the original micro controller back , could you go back to the standard switches and see if it works.
my guess is that one of the new switches is shorting to ground sometimes and resetting the micro controller.
Nope, it is not easy to remove them without damage, I dont have spare.
I checked them many times. All four should be shorting to ground, because I can reboot radio by pressing only DOWN or only UP or LEFT or Right. I checked it also by pressing directly to the single switch with board partially out the case, tried bending all board. Checked it connected to the oscilloscope. Nothing than 1k resistor in series helped. Every time it reboots is in the time of pressing the switch, never during releasing. I also tried to replace 220R resistor on the corresponding atmega pins to 1k with no luck.

There shold be something I overlooked :( Why all four switches and not MENU and EXIT ?
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Rob Thomson wrote:So...

The wise powers that be have decided to send me a warning regarding us referring people on the 9xR forums about always referring people back to this forum. They seem unhappy that we always back link people here...........
HK wants to sell stuff, their stuff. If you spend any time here you find lots of posts about "fixing" their radio. Not really good PR for the "people's radio".

That forum is what it is, let HK take care of the problems they've created by letting the public be their beta testers. This reminds me of how they handled crediting the developers of the firmware.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I was helping noobs on the HK forum. Often providing them answers. Often pointing them here where they could get help from those with more knowledge than me.

Based on attitude back - I am just going to ignore them and let the end users 'find' us on their own. I cannot imagine that the HK support are geared up to provide the support - and probably just wont!.

Downside of this is you will get the blind leading the blind - my hope is that does not make noobs assume the firmware is at fault.

:(
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Rob. it's their loss. If all the gurus and programmers abandon them, it's what they deserve. Too bad, they had an opportunity and are losing it.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

I agree. It's HK's baby, let them change the diapers (nappies). :roll:

Ted
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

G550Ted wrote:I agree. It's HK's baby, let them change the diapers (nappies). :roll:

Ted
Well put!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Scott Page wrote:I think they are convinced they can draw the folks from this forum to their forum to take care of business for them. So far it seems to be working for them. Once they reach a critical mass of users... they could become the default 9x forum -- I believe that's their end game. I just hope it's transparent enough not to happen.
I said this on Jan 7. I think it's worth repeating again. They will monopolize the 9x community and become the defacto 9x forum as the numbers increase there, and some of the masses they attract turn out to be talented innovators and create their own forks. It won't happen over night, but I believe it will happen -- and I believe that's their strategy. What a marketing piece of genius it is.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I agree and my stock reply there to questions will be just posting the 9xforums link from now on.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You will be banned :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

jhsa wrote:You will be banned :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ok, how do we word it do it slips under the radar? Oh oh, I bet we're being watched here by them since more progress is made here on their product.
SM

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

How do I post happy green faces using tap-a-talk?

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Thing is... Does not matter in the end?

They will have people who can use the firmware, and who maybe grow some talent and make new, firmwares.

It does not make much difference.

I think that sooner or later anyone who matters will find the actual project developers.

Add to that the fact that the firmwares are no longer tied to a hardware platform.

Let them have their radio. I have one, and to be honest. I don't really like it. Maybe it, is just habit, but a cannot get on with it. Buttons are rubbish. Pots and trims are hard to find in flight etc...

I look forward, to the x9d by frsky.

ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Scott Page wrote:
Scott Page wrote: and some of the masses they attract turn out to be talented innovators and create their own forks. It won't happen over night, but I believe it will happen -- and I believe that's their strategy. What a marketing piece of genius it is.
So why not use the genius modifications they may come up and implement them with ER9x ?

Reinhard

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”