Ppm tester?

Electronic projects that are either related to the firmwares for the 9x, or simply great for radio control applications.
Andrewjfernie

Re: Ppm tester?

Post by Andrewjfernie »

You could probably work out the wiring for the Pro Mini, but it won't just plug in as it doesn't have the connectors that match the LCD shield. At $12 for a new Arduino Uno card probably easier to go that way. The LCD keyboard shield is designed for the Uno.

Andrew

kaos

Post by kaos »

I see. How much trouble we are talking about? just a few wiring thing rearrangement or have to add some components?

found a cheap Alduino Uno: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ardui ... 68537.html
Andrewjfernie

Post by Andrewjfernie »

kaos wrote:I see. How much trouble we are talking about? just a few wiring thing rearrangement or have to add some components?

found a cheap Alduino Uno: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ardui ... 68537.html
No extra parts needed, just wiring. I tried it and it is OK.

You need to connect gnd and vcc for the power, A0 for the switch inputs, and D4,D5,D6,D7,D8, and D9 for the LCD. Your signal input goes between gnd and D3. My lcd/keypad doesn't have detailed markings for the pinout, so if yours is the same, look for a picture of a Uno and use that as a reference.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Great, I have a couple pro mini around, I just need the LCD display for 5.68. ;) thx for the info. now placing the order. :)
kaos

Post by kaos »

OK, just received my LCD Shield. Mine does not have the powere led and R1 resister on it as Andrewjfernie's. I guess it is OK.
131213-1.jpg
Looking at the Arduno Uno and the back of the shield.
ArdunoUno.JPG
This is what I come up with the pro mini connection according to Andrewjfernie:
131213-2a.jpg
I should only need to connect D4-9 and A0, Vcc from mini to 5V and Gnd from mini to G on shield, power the mini (and shield) at Vcc,GND
attach the sensor just like D3 and Gnd hole like in Adrewjfernie's pic, right?
The other connections aren't needed, correct?

edit: may be I should connect D3 from mini to shield as well?
edit 2: I am connecting D3 and Gnd from pro mini for sensor
Last edited by kaos on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrewjfernie

Post by Andrewjfernie »

Your Vcc, gnd, a0, and D4-D9 look right. You don't need to connect D3 from the mini to the shield - the PPM signal from your receiver will be connected to D3 on the mini and gnd.

Hopefully the whole thing will just work first time. If not, start with some of the test/demo programs available for the shield to ensure that the shield is working with your mini. Google will find plenty - one example is http://www.freetronics.com/pages/16x2-l ... quv8qgo7bU.

Good luck!
Andrew
kaos

Post by kaos »

Got everything wired up. yes, I thought D3 and Gnd can be directly to pro mini too. I will see which way is easier to lay out.
I do have a question about Arduno compilation. This is because I am a beginner in Arduno programing beside just loading some files.
I tried to compile the .ino file (after ADD FILE of the .h and .ppp librarary files) , but i get an error comiling message:
'DFR_LCD_Keypad' does not name a type
What should I do to compile the software correctly?
Andrewjfernie

Post by Andrewjfernie »

You are missing the library I was using for the shield. You should be able to track it down with Google. It needs to go in your "libraries" folder. This folder should have the same parent folder as your project folder. You then set the parent folder in the Arduino IDE in File/Preferences/Sketchbook Location.

Andrew
kaos

Post by kaos »

Thx, Andrewjfernie. It has compiled correctly and loaded correctly. :) Now I am trying to find a ppm source to test.
by plug in the trainer port and to the sensor (I made a cord to do that), the set up kind of light up but I have not put plugged in the power source yet.
will make a power cord to the set up to test it.
coming soon. :)
kaos

Post by kaos »

well, powered on the set up, every thing seems powering up pretty good. Without connecting the sensor cord, nothing is displayed on LCD. Is this normal?
when I plug in the sensor wire from trainer port, still nothing displayed on LCD, and push any keys still nothing happened on LCD screen.

I recompiled and reflashed the pro mini one more time. Still the same. Any idea?
Hmm, this is the 2nd project I flash a pro mini and nothing happened. :? Bad luck with pro mini so far. :(
PS:: I did connect the RST on pro mini to the shield's RST to use the reset button on the shield. I don't think that matters??
Attachments
This is how it looks like after power is connected.  no character showing on LCD, with or without sensor connected.
This is how it looks like after power is connected. no character showing on LCD, with or without sensor connected.
Andrewjfernie

Post by Andrewjfernie »

You should see something even without a source connected. Try starting with the samples for the LCD keypad shield to see if the h/w hookup is correct.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
kaos

Post by kaos »

OK. will do. I guess I need to load some sample from Arduno program? ie, 'blink' ?
kaos

Post by kaos »

tried several 'samples', same result, nothing shows on LCD. reload 'ppm-display' surely is the same. Each flashing of the pro mini is successful according to Arduno. compiling....., loading....., Done loading without any error message.
so either the pro mini is bad (2nd one is bad as new ???? :? ) or the LCD shield is DOA?? The power source is from a BEC with 5V out put.
I also rechecked the connections according to my drawing. all are correct. tested with ohm meter, all are connecting no broken/bad wire/solder joint. I also cut the RST wire to try, still the same. :?
I am running out of idea. :(
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Very unlikely to be the problem, but can you adjust the contrast on the LCD?

João

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

HOw? Is that little brass screw on the top left small blue box? I know by pushing any of those button won't do anything.
I am curious what that little screw is for too. I hope it is as simple as that. I did not want to turn that knob cause I don't know what that is for.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep it's likely a contrast pot.
kaos

Post by kaos »

OK, just saw this while shutting down PC. I will try it 1st thing I get up 'today'. It is 3:00 am here already.
Andrewjfernie

Post by Andrewjfernie »

Yes, the brass screw head is the contrast adjustment, and a very good point as I remember receiving a shield that had no image until I adjusted the contrast.
kaos

Post by kaos »

AND... YES, it is as simple as that. :) It works. It is because of the stupid contrast. But what is unexpected is HOW MUCH that adjustment was off. I was turning that screw CW and CCW at least 3-4 full turns without any changes. SO I figure it doesn't matter any way if it does not work, I started to turn it CCW all the way till it won't turn any more (don't remember how many turns was it) nothing happened. Then I started to turn it all the way CW, must be 10-12 full turn (at least I felt) and wala the display showed up. :)
Thx everyone for the help and it is a very simple gizmo to make once the contrast issue is fixed. Now I have regained some faith in pro mini. ;)
Here is examples of ppm from the trainer port:
131214-1.jpg
131214-2.jpg
Now it is time to learn how to interpret these numbers and take advantage of using these numbers. ;)

PS: Andrewjfernie: your attached zip file does contain all the files needed to load the pro mini. I was just not placing it at correct folder. thx for bringing up this simple tester. ;)
Andrewjfernie

Post by Andrewjfernie »

Glad it worked for you. Makes me question the level of testing they do on those shields if the contrast is off so far that you can't see an image.

Not a bad project for about $10-$20 in parts (if you are prepared to wait for shipping from China). I wish there was a little case available for that shield, but haven't managed to track one down.

Andrew
kaos

Post by kaos »

I doubt any testing on display was done. At most, they just test each component is working. pins on the back of the board was soldered off angle too. There is no way an Arduno Uno can be plugged in without desoldering one roll of pins. But I am not using Uno so it does not matter.
My pro mini is 3.17 with 1.80 shipping but I bought 3 at the time so it comes out 3.77 per piece and the shield is 5.65 with free shipping. Total cost is 9.42. Yes, it is very inexpensive.
I put 4 risers and nuts used for multicopter CB so it stands pretty firm on the table. ;) It can be thinner/lower had I soldered the wires directly to pro mini and the shield but I figure plugs are more flexible so it is a little higher. May be once in a while I need a shield to do a quick test of something. ;)
I guess i could put a plate and fix it to the 4 risers with 4 screws and becomes a box. ;)
the pro mini can be reflashed any time with the header.  while a power plug to Vcc and gnd can be used to power the system.<br />you can see the bottom two segments of pins are way off angle from each other to be plugged in the UNO.
the pro mini can be reflashed any time with the header. while a power plug to Vcc and gnd can be used to power the system.
you can see the bottom two segments of pins are way off angle from each other to be plugged in the UNO.
the nuts fit just right between the two layer of pcbs of the sheild.  if not using plugs, one riser would be enough
the nuts fit just right between the two layer of pcbs of the sheild. if not using plugs, one riser would be enough
Andrewjfernie

Post by Andrewjfernie »

Uploaded a new version of the code to GitHub
1. Fixed a bug that meant that the pulse width displayed was not accurate for a normal servo control signal (was fine with PPM signal)
2. Added a servo drive function so that you can test your servos. You can send a minimum 1ms pulse, a center 1.5ms, or a maximum 2ms. If you connect a pot to the pin defined in the code by POT_PIN, such that it sends a voltage between 0V and 5V, then you can turn the pot to set the servo position, or use it to set the amplitude around 1.5ms as the servo is swept back and forth. You get to the servo output mode by pushing the right button twice, and select the output mode with the up and down buttons.
3. Added "#define" to allow it to be built for either the LCD keypad shield, or a home-made keypad with an I2C LCD display. This allowed me to purchase a basic 16x2 LCD and build it in to a case like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Clear-Enclos ... 4b0&_uhb=1.

Andrew
kaos

Post by kaos »

hmm, I don't have any loose 'pot' around. How about a knob from the DX4e tx which already broken down by using its module, v-reg and antenna ;), would that work?
Andrewjfernie

Post by Andrewjfernie »

Anything that can you can hook up to adjust between 0V and 5V on the analog input would be fine. This isn't a critical component.
akkuschrauber

Post by akkuschrauber »

sorry for asking, but ...

I tried this little thingy here with the latest code from git, but have no clue why servo out is not working.

Double tapping right button brings me to "PPM OUT CENTER", but no reaction to up & down button, no change of servo position ...
Can't change "CENTER" to "MIN", "MAX", "CYCLE" or "VARIABLE"
A Pot connected and configured at A2 does even not change the servo position ...
Uncommented line 61

Code: Select all

//#define TEST_KEY_ADC_VALUES
to

#define TEST_KEY_ADC_VALUES
and changed line 439

#ifdef TEST_KEY_ADC_VALUES
        LCDSetPrintPos(0, 0);
        sprintf(lcdLine, "A0:%4d ", analogRead(A0));			// Uncomment if you want to check the pot values
        LCDPrint(lcdLine);
#endif
to A2 as input, I can see the values of the pot from 0 to 1023, but that did'nt change the servo out too ...

What do I have overseen ?
What to change, to get this funktioning ?

greetings,
Claus
Ironie: read [Wikipedia.de] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarkasmus
Andrewjfernie

Post by Andrewjfernie »

Claus,

Your change to test the A2 input for the pot is fine - proves that is working OK. However, you won't see any change in the servo output from changing the pot if the mode is stuck in "PPM OUT CENTER" - you need to get to "VARIABLE".

Sounds like the keys to select up/down are not working - have you seen them do anything? Which keyboard approach are you using? Do you have a pre-assembled arduino display/keyboard shield, or did you make your own? If you set the test input back to A0 and press each of the buttons you should see the values changing. What values do you see?

If you have "#define KEYPAD_TYPE PERSONAL_KEYPAD" set (indicating that you built your own keyboard, or that you want to over-ride the code from the library obtained for the shield you purchased), then you can modify the following values to match your measured values:

#define KEYPAD_KEY_RIGHT_ADC_LOW 0
#define KEYPAD_KEY_RIGHT_ADC_HIGH 20
#define KEYPAD_KEY_UP_ADC_LOW 254
#define KEYPAD_KEY_UP_ADC_HIGH 294
#define KEYPAD_KEY_DOWN_ADC_LOW 395
#define KEYPAD_KEY_DOWN_ADC_HIGH 435
#define KEYPAD_KEY_LEFT_ADC_LOW 524
#define KEYPAD_KEY_LEFT_ADC_HIGH 564
#define KEYPAD_KEY_SELECT_ADC_LOW 720
#define KEYPAD_KEY_SELECT_ADC_HIGH 760
#define KEYPAD_KEY_NONE_ADC_LOW 1000
#define KEYPAD_KEY_NONE_ADC_HIGH 1023

As an example, if you pushed the up button and you read 243, then set the low and high values to about 20 below and above your measured value, so
#define KEYPAD_KEY_UP_ADC_LOW 223
#define KEYPAD_KEY_UP_ADC_HIGH 263

Andrew
akkuschrauber

Post by akkuschrauber »

Andrewjfernie wrote: Sounds like the keys to select up/down are not working - have you seen them do anything? Which keyboard approach are you using? Do you have a pre-assembled arduino display/keyboard shield, or did you make your own? If you set the test input back to A0 and press each of the buttons you should see the values changing. What values do you see?
Thanks for helping :D

I made a mix to test out of Arduino ProMini, 16x2 4bit parallel LCD and the keys from the Keypad-Shield from SaintSmart (DFRobot), but I plan to build it up with a custom keypad to get it as small as possible ...

The buttons are working afaik,
I can switch down through the channels but not up, can push right to see 4 channels or double push right to see servo tester, push left to go back and select to go to beginning ...
Maybe up is not working right ? ... but ...
I get key readings as follows and changed the values in your code (+/- 20 for each key):

A0: 1020
Up: 144
Down: 327
Left: 503
Right: 0
Select: 739
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Hi Andrew.

Just stumbled over this ppm tester here.

Gives me a choice to reuse that device here
DSCF3732.JPG
Its an arduino with a diy LCD keypad (+ bluetooth + battery)

Used it for programming multiwii copter software and it got a little dusty ...

Thanx a lot - br KH

PS. Have to make some adjustments still ;) Might reuse the bt master to send the display data over to my pc.
Old man - needs a large display :mrgreen:
akkuschrauber

Post by akkuschrauber »

Tested with Arduino Uno & Shield, pot on A2, servo out on pin2 ...
Same problem ...
akkuschrauber

Post by akkuschrauber »

Got it !!!

If I change line 46 and 53 of the code and use a "Personal Keypad", but use the same values for the keys, I can now switch to desired test modes and servo out works now ...
Don't know why, but it works ...

Return to “General RC Electronic Projects and Discussion”