Open tx donations

Have something to say about 9xForums? Whether it be good or bad, about our products, site or service, tell us about it here.
VtLadyFlyer

Open tx donations

Post by VtLadyFlyer »

Hi all,
Just an observation.

I have loved the opentx software for my radio and there are many great supporters, both from inside these forums and outside, like Kilrah covering so many forum questions and R.Scott Page with all of his super youtube videos. It's obvious this has taken a lot of time and passion. Has certainly saved me some time. So I clicked on the donate button... then my brain exploded.

Why on earth do you have so many choices for donation? Why not come up with some formula to allocate the funds rather than ask us to make a decision to donate to some specific person, for which I didn't recognize any of them? I almost didn't donate at all, because I felt like I should be donating to them all, and I just wasn't ready to do several separate donations. But I overcame the brain explosion and donated to the person who's running the forums, as it seems without the forums, no feedback, fixes or collaboration would exist. Of course the guys writing the code are left out, but I'm considering that more an issue with your donation schema than anything else. Just an observation, I suspect many will look and not donate at all. I'd be surprised if others haven't noticed.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Open tx donations

Post by MikeB »

Well the forum is for open source custom firmware for RC transmitters, not just for openTx.
For example, while I assist with openTx (mainly at the hardware driver level - the firmware that 'talks' to the hardware) I also maintain and develop er9x/ersky9x, a different open source firmware to openTx.
Er9x came before openTx, developed for the 9X transmitter. OpenTx was developed from er9x, but both have advanced since that time. Ersky9x, is just a variant of er9x, aimed at ARM processor upgrades for the 9X transmitter, and also runs on the Taranis.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

And not actually only RC transmitter firmware either.

The link at the bottom of the forum is a page that the forum owner created, gathering donation links for all the different and independent projects that reside here.

OpenTX is just one of them, so for donating specifically towards its development you might want to look at the "source" instead, i.e. either on http://www.open-tx.org or in the "About" dialog in OpenTX companion :)
VtLadyFlyer

Post by VtLadyFlyer »

Guys, thank you for your feedback, but I have to say based on Mike's input, it seems everything is somewhat 'intertwined', and therefore the guys doing the 9X are currently, or in the past have helped contribute to Taranis. In any case, it would seem I did something right by contributing to the person who hosts the forums, but maybe I will also contribute to opentx.

Don't want to make a negative out of this so I'll just say thanks, people are doing a great job. If I come up to speed enough to feel I can answer other newbies questions, I will certainly contribute myself.. as a retired semiconductor developer, electrical engineer, and dabbler in all things 'techy', this isn't all that foreign to me, but I'm not there yet.

Terri
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

VtLadyFlyer wrote:and therefore the guys doing the 9X are currently, or in the past have helped contribute to Taranis.
It's pretty much the opposite, the 9X started it all about 6 years ago, and the Taranis is the evolution. But yeah, the 2 currently active firmware projects supporting these radios are quite closely related.

Return to “Feedback”