Parallax BS2

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
ShowMaster

Parallax BS2

Post by ShowMaster »

I was just given a parallax 28138 development board as well as a smaller version, both with bs2 stamps.
Part of a friends estate. Being challenged but eager to learn programming, are these items still current enough to use?
I also have an Arduino Duo that I've had some success with thanks to the forum posts. I can't find any one or local group that I can get help from. Fortunately Utube has many videos. I'm still in the make the led blink phase unfortunately.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412724886.179024.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412724853.908358.jpg

ReSt

Re: Parallax BS2

Post by ReSt »

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Woohoo, a jump 15 years back in time :D

Might be fun to play with for a while, but don't spend too much time on it. These things run on an interpreter and are really slow, and BASIC is pretty much a forgotten language by now... the arduino platform is far superior and not much more complicated.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Not everything is Basic at Parallax

From Parallax site:
The Propeller microcontroller has 8 cores, and so can do multiprocessing, also called true multitasking. The cores are all the same. It has 32 I/O pins, which are also all the same. Each core can work with every I/O pin. This means that all of the Propeller cores and I/O pins are equally good at any tasks they must perform. Each core has a bit of its own memory. Each core also takes turn accessing a larger Main Memory, where they can share information.
And they use at least "C" programming language

Reinhard
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I know but the question whas about the gear he received, those being BasicStamp 2s. Those do use BASIC :)

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks guys. I was afraid that all his stuff is obsolete but thought I would ask. His wife asked me to help with dispersing/disposing or selling off his stuff. Good wake up call for us hoarders of old toys, get rid of them while they still have value!
I rescued some of his stuff from the trash can and hoped to use it or give it away.
Unfortunately I can't even give this stamp stuff to a school. They only teach ipad icon pushing as far as I can tell.
As for me, on your advice, I'll resist returning to my apple II basic days and try and find a home for this stamp stuff.
I have a Arduino Duo I should be focusing on since it's a popular topic still.
Now the decision is what to do with these, with the trash or eWaste being the last choice?
Up for grabs for postage?
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

If you really don't find a new home for it but do not want to chuck it in the bin, you might send it to these guys: http://thegeekgroup.org/support/donation-information/
They will put it into their collection of electronics for their members or students / kids to play with. You can find alot about them on their website or youtube if you're interested.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the link.
SM
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Solved it! A club member has them now. He was familiar with the stamp.
Thanks everyone. No trash can fix, yet!

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”