Can't flash Taranis...

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Phoebus7

Re: Can't flash Taranis...

Post by Phoebus7 »

NOne of My PC's old or new show the STN32 bootloader or any other file in the USB utilities
See link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-v7okpRSco

Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

MikeB wrote:Hopefully, the bootloader won't be too long coming out. Once you have that, DFU/Zadig becomes a thing of the past.

Mike.
Yes, waiting for this feature. :)

-Spoogy
What goes up, must come down. -Isaac Newton
OpenTX - expanding possibilities
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You will love it ;)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
JetPlane

Post by JetPlane »

So I'm about to scream and pull my hair out!

Trying to get my new Teranis connected to my Windows 7 (64bit) PC and getting nowhere.

What I've tried:
  • Downloaded and ran Companion 9X (ok so far)
  • With Tx turned off simply plug in USB lead: Driver install fails.
  • Use Zadig (latest version): Driver install fails.
  • Extract driver from Zadig and manual update driver from device manager by navigating to driver folder: Driver install fails
  • Shutdown and re-started: no change
  • Threaten to throw Tx across room and jump on it: no change :x
I see an entry for 'STM32 Bootloader' in the device manager list but Companion 9X doesnt appear to see it because I cant access the Tx for any form of update.

USB 2 by the way, and running software as admin.

Steve
ShowMaster

Can't flash Taranis...

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, you see stm32 in the device manager yes?
With the tx on and no warning screens, do you see the sd card if you plug in the USB cable and wait maybe 30+seconds?
If yes, will c9x download your mix memories?

If yes, with the TX off and your USB cable then plugged in, will c9x download or upload a firmware?
This should work if stm32 is showing as your driver.
Usually it's the stm32 not bring the driver that causes the biggest issues.
Please list what functions you do have working.

Don't throw your radio yet! Getting stm32 and Zadig to work is your right of passage into the Taranis world. Once there you have bragging rights.

The new v2 FW should make this process easier. Coming soon.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

JetPlane wrote:Driver install fails.
Fails how? What error message etc?
JetPlane wrote:I see an entry for 'STM32 Bootloader' in the device manager list but Companion 9X doesnt appear to see it because I cant access the Tx for any form of update.
Again, what error messages do you get?
JetPlane

Post by JetPlane »

ok, information as requested:
  • If I have the Teranis turned on then yes, the Tx is recognised and i see two volumes, one called 'Teranis' and one called 'Removable Disk'. I can copy the .bin file shown in the Teranis volume.
  • With Tx turned off when i plug in the USB then C9x cant see the Teranis and any attempt to flash firmware fails.
  • When running Zadig I get a failure pop-up message "The driver installation failed"
  • In device manager I can see the Tx and it's identified as 'STM32 Bootloader', however it says no drivers are installed. If I try to manually install the drivers from device manager then again, I get a message saying drivers were found but installation failed.

I have managed to find a workaround. I borrowed my wife's lap top and got everything working right away with no fuss, firmware updated first try. but I'd sure like to figure out what's causing the problem with by PC. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that it's nothing I did wrong as I did exactly the same on the lap-top and it worked fine.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

JetPlane got it sorted.
JetPlane

Post by JetPlane »

Scott Page wrote:JetPlane got it sorted.
Scott,

Yes, I got it working by borrowing a lap-top but it would still be good to figure out what the problem with my own PC is. Of course by the sound of things the issue will go away when OpenTx 2.0 is released.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Choose your battles. I've got a buddy with a laptop that we just can't get to work this way .. In addition to his other I.T. responsibilities he's a helpdesk technician.. so it really galls him. We've both poured too many hours and pulled out too much hair with his laptop. But I've yet to find another computer that it won't work with. It even worked with my Dell tablet (running win 8.1) the first time. Save your savy for something more enjoyable.
JetPlane

Post by JetPlane »

ok, I cant argue with that logic, but it's just so frustrating when something doesnt work and you cant figure out why! It nags at the back of the mind.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Yep. My wife calls that testosterone poisoning. :lol:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

From what I've read.
r2.0 FW should make this much easier. Simple flash from the sd card after loading the FW via USB that usually your computer sees.

I'm using a similar FW option MikeB wrote for another radio brand and it's so easy. I just load any and all FW's onto the sd card, and can flash between FW versions at will at the field. No computer needed! In fact, you can load the FW's into the sd card by plugging it into your computer. No tx connection required.
Soon Zadig will only be needed for the first flash of the latest FW one time or if you corrupt your FW.
If Frsky pre loads the bootloader you'll be good to go first time you turn on your new Taranis.
Just hold the bottom trim tabs to center and power on. Select your pre loaded FW on the screen and hit enter, it's done!
Hopefully the beta team will feel comfortable enough that they've got the major bugs out of 2.0 soon and can release it.
I believe this is part of the 2.0 update and not before?
There was posted, a factual but a little heated debate, on the correct way to implement this option on the Taranis between the smart code writers awhile ago. I believe the outcome was that it will be done.
Good news for us end users.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.
Fryercnc

Post by Fryercnc »

Hello All
I just received my X9D version B and have some issues
1. I plug my Taranis in to my computer and it is not detected, meaning it does not try to install any driver and it has been plugged in for 20 min.
2. I plugged it in to 2 other computers with the same effect, not detected.
3. I have the latest version of Companion9x installed and it can't find the radio.
4. I ran Zadig and there are no devices listed.
I see alot of people have the same issue as me so I don't know if this is a hardware issue or Windows/Companion9x issue.
Has anyone else found a solution for this issue?
This is my error
=================================================================================
Started DFU Util
C:/Program Files (x86)/companion9x/dfu-util.exe -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -d 0483:df11 -DC:/Users/dserratt/Downloads/Taranis X9D/X9D v1.1.02-131018/opentx-taranis-en.bin
=================================================================================
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to [email protected]

Filter on vendor = 0x0483 product = 0xdf11
No DFU capable USB device found

DFU Util done - exit code 1
Thanks
Fryercnc

Post by Fryercnc »

Hello All
I have a new Taranis
Ver
SUN: opentx-r
Date 2013-10-18
Time: 12:24:18
Ver: opentx-x9d-v1.1.02
Radio
A01 US HW
10/04/2014
X9D015380B01

Cant detect taranis in either mode.
I have installed Companion9X 1.52 and Zadig 2.0.1 build 160
Connecting usb with power off should install stm bootloader but it doesnt even detect a usb device was attached let alone install the driver.
Connecting usb with power on should show external drive but it doesnt detect usb device either
I have tried connecting via an XP netbook, Win7 notebook, Win 8.1 ultrabook and win 7 desktop through usb 2 and usb 3 with bo success.
Here is my Companion9x Error

Started DFU Util
C:/Program Files (x86)/companion9x/dfu-util.exe -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -d 0483:df11 -DC:/Users/dserratt/Downloads/Taranis X9D/X9D v1.1.02-131018/opentx-taranis-en.bin
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to [email protected]

Filter on vendor = 0x0483 product = 0xdf11
No DFU capable USB device found

DFU Util done - exit code 1
I think I have a bad USB port
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you get the beeps from the computer when you plug the Taranis in? If not, one thing to check is your USB cable. Some cables, used for charging 'phones etc. don't have a data connections.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Can't flash Taranis...

Post by dvogonen »

Testing a few different USB cables is a good idea. My impression is that the Taranis is sensitive to slightly long or badly shielded USB cables. I have a few that do work with other devices, but not with my Taranis.
Fryercnc

Post by Fryercnc »

Hi and thanks
It was the usb cable
Now my issue is the driver installed is STM Device in DFU Mode, I run Zadig but it doesn't see the driver even running as administrator
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

When you're going to run Zadig be sure you've connected the USB to the transmitter and computer with the transmitter turned off. You only want to have it turned on if you're going to use CompanionTX to access the EEPROM or the SD card as a volume.
Fryercnc

Post by Fryercnc »

I have done that with the power on I can access the SD card, with it turned off I get STM Device in DFU Mode instead of STM Bootloader
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Fryercnc wrote:I have done that with the power on I can access the SD card, with it turned off I get STM Device in DFU Mode instead of STM Bootloader
Please refer to this post. Let's hope this gets you home. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=8338
Fryercnc

Post by Fryercnc »

OK
I tried that, when I uninstall and then select check for hardware changes it has STM Bootloader with yellow ! for a second then changes to STM Device in DFU Mode but for that second that it says STM bootloader it also shows up in Zadig but then dissapears
Fryercnc

Post by Fryercnc »

Hello everyone
I finally found the missing piece of the puzzle,
When device manager displays STM Device in DFU Mode Zadig wont display anything till you select Options then List all Devices and viola.
Hope this helps someone and thanks everyone
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Fryercnc wrote:Hello everyone
I finally found the missing piece of the puzzle,
When device manager displays STM Device in DFU Mode Zadig wont display anything till you select Options then List all Devices and viola.
Hope this helps someone and thanks everyone
Yep! Just like the post I gave you both said and had a picture of. :D

Glad you got it all sorted out.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

FrSky supply DfuseDemo as their method for updating the Taranis firmware. It may be that those having trouble with Zadig etc. can use this method.
Here is openTx r2940 (with bootloader) packaged as a .dfu for use with Dfusedemo.
openTxdfu.zip
(151.76 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
artemen

Post by artemen »

Hi, here is my situation:
I have a working taranis, but I would like to update the firmware on it as some sensors I have do not work with the current f/w.
When I connect Taranis in the OFF state to a PC i get no response from the PC, non, like nothing was ever connected to it. I tried my home desktop, laptop and a work PC.
When I connect Taranis in the ON state to a PC I get an "USB Device Not Recognized" . Again, this happens on the above 3 PCs.

at this point I tried manually installing driver downloaded from here:
https://code.google.com/p/companion9x/d ... p&can=2&q=
this results in windows declaring it as an incompatible driver.

I downloaded Zadig Version 2.1.0 (Build 658).
with Taranis OFF no devices were found even when checking show all devices.
with Taranis ON, chose unknown device, update driver -> fails with no error codes, just with a statement that installation failed.

Downloaded stsw-stm32080.zip which is linked to by frsky Taranis How-To file. It installed several drivers, but again, result is the same as before.

So far I have tried 2 different USB cables, both work normally with Canon DSLR camera, portable HDD and an FTDI board.

Please advise how should I proceed?

Regards, Artem.
artemen

Post by artemen »

wow..... I am ..... have no idea how to describe this: here is a SIMPLE solution which worked for 4 PCs so far like a charm!
GET the BLOODY SD card out of Taranis before attempting to connect! worked from the first time!
just connected boom, STM in DFU mode, run Zadig, replace driver, vuala! just flashed 2.0 firmware...
LoTechGreg

Post by LoTechGreg »

Hey artemen, check the SD card, some have printing on the contacts that may screw them up, and some of the newest batch's, had a problem, that a full reformat and reinstall of the contents seems to correct..
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

LoTechGreg wrote:Hey artemen, check the SD card, some have printing on the contacts that may screw them up, and some of the newest batch's, had a problem, that a full reformat and reinstall of the contents seems to correct..
And Regardless of printing or not, clearly there is an issue with the SD card. At the very least pop it into a reader and do a format (uncheck quick format) of the card - download proper SDcard contents from Frsky and unzip the contents (so the drive structure is intact) then copy these folders to your newly formatted card. You can download the current FrSky card @ http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.p ... anis%20X9D
Or the new one I've submitted to them for replacement of their current version @
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178 ... %20v.2.zip

Scott
artemen

Post by artemen »

ok, thx Scott and Greg for the reply, I did figure it out accidentally, I wanted to see what size of the SD card is in the taranis, so I took it out, than forgot to put back in. As soon as I connected taranis to the PC without a card everything just worked!
I did not reformat the card but after I flashed openTX2.0 it worked seamlessly with the card on my colleague's PC the first time I connected the radio to it (with the same cable). It makes me think the issue was with a certain open TX version I had originally installed. I remember I had a small issue back in January when I was updating my firmware, at that time I was able to resolve it using a different USB cable, however after the January update, I was not able to connect to the radio and since radio itself worked fine and at that time and had the latest f/w I didn't bother fixing the connectivity issue. Yesterday I wanted to update to 2.0 since it was a major update and actually followed all the advises on this thread w/o success and stumbled on the solution accidentally. I think it will be worth the effort to edit one of the very first posts on this thread or put this info on the wiki.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”