OpenTX - Nightly builds for pre-2.0 testing

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
mstrens

Re: OpenTX - Nightly builds for pre-2.0 testing

Post by mstrens »

Kilrah wrote:
mstrens wrote: Here I get it once more.
I close companion9x.
I started it again.
I create a new model using the wizard (see the selected chanels in attachment).
I go to the drop list and I get duplicate entries (see attachment).
Same here, showing me the mixer screen is mostly useless as there's no way i can work out what you selected in the wizard to get to that. So please tell me what options you chose in the wizard for each step (no need for screenshots, quick words will do).
In the wizard, I select:
- plane
- engine on channel 7
- 2 ailerons on channel 1 and 2
- 2 flaps on channel 5 and 6

Please note,that the duplicates does not remain. In some way, after I make some changes, they disapears.
I presume there is some issue with an initialisation but I am not sure it is related to the way the model is created.
- no airbrake
- a rudder on channel 4 and an elevator on channel 3.

dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

That sounds interesting. I will have a go at reproducing the problem in the wizard.

Skickat från min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

I just recreated what I think you have seen. The flaps are controlled by the SA switch. Two entries for each channel. One for SA up and one for SA down. One should result in +100 and the other - 100 . With SA in the middle position the channel will get the value 0. The idea being to be able to use the full channel resolution for controll of the flap servo.

There is a bug in the channel mapping, which results in both SA up and down resulting in +100. This looks like a duplicate, even if it is not. My guess is that the air brakes have the same problems, since they use the same logics. I will fix the problem in time for the upcoming nightly build. Should be OK tomorrow.

Edit:
Yup, the airbrake was also faulty. Fixed both issues. Also added labels to the airbrake and flaps mixes so that it is possible to see what the switches are supposed to be used for in the mixer screen. Not so easy otherwise since the mixes are auto generated for you.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Question. is the wizard only for taranis or also for the 9x and skyboard?

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

It is for all radios. This far the only difference is that airbrakes and flaps end up on different switches (naturally)

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks. Good to know that. excellent..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

April 9 Companion is broken. When loading April 9 companion it will not recognize my transmitter.

I uninstalled April 9 and installed April 8 and recognition worked fine.

Uninstalled April 8 and Reinstalled April 9 and no recognition again.
April 9 build.png
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I've now replicated this several times -- makes no difference what recent firmware is resident on the TX. April 8 Companion will recognize the TX and April 9 won't. I've done a formal uninstall and then installl both ways, and also simply overwritten the previous install with subsequent install.. makes no difference. I've downloaded both versions of Companion again to help rule out a faulty download copy but still same results.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

EEPROM file name has been changed yesterday. You need the matching firmware and bootloader that incorporate the same change or it won't work.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Kilrah wrote:EEPROM file name has been changed yesterday. You need the matching firmware and bootloader that incorporate the same change or it won't work.
So for April 9 we need to download the firmware and update the TX it before installing the new Companion. I'll check this after lunch.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

With the firmware from the April 9 aboard the TX and companion from same (April 9) folder I'm getting no joy. Companion won't see the Tx. (Windows 7). With the Companion from April 8 folder I can see Tx whether I have firmware from folders of April 7 or April 8 or April 9 onboard the Tx.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As said the bootloader needs to be updated, i.e. you need to flash with dfu-util.
Or wait until tomorrow, I added backwards compatibility to companion.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Bootloader from 11-Apr allows writing directly to the FIRMWARE file and hence the flash, that from 12-Apr does not write to the flash, but returns success.

I think you are locking the flash and only unlocking it for writing from a file on the SD card, not for writing over USB.

Fat12Write() ought to return an error, not success, if it is unable/not allowed to write to the flash.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Forgot that case indeed. Had never used it...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm using it all the time, it is so quick and easy. Zadig takes ages to write, going via the SD card is a fiddle, using eepskye (as I do) is just click on write to flash, select the file and click OK. Just a few seconds later and its done! Works with SKY boards/9XR-PRO and Taranis.

Mike.

Edit: Can you please change the firmware directory name to "FIRMWARE". As I've mentioned, the 9XR-PRO will ship with the bootloader already installed, with this as the directory name, the firmware is already issued, and manuals written so I can't change it. It will just confuse users, particularly any who want to switch from ersky9x to openTx on the 'PRO.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

OpenTX - Nightly builds for pre-2.0 testing

Post by Daedalus66 »

Also "firmware" is a collective noun that only rarely is pluralized in English. "Firmwares" would only make sense if you had, for example, both OpenTX and ER9x in the same directory. "Firmware" is the logical choice for directory name.
Nigel
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

dfu-util is a little slower indeed, but it's less hassle and fewer manual operations. I plug the radio in, double click my build script, it compiles the firmware, launches dfu-util to flash, and beeps at the end to tell me it's done. I can just do something else meanwhile. Oh and it doesn't drain the battery when I forget to unplug the radio!

We will discuss about the directory name.

There will be more than one firmware type as we plan to allow flashing FrSky module/receiver/sensor firmwares from there too.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

I believe Firmware is correct English usage for single or plural.
I spent over 30 years developing Firmware....never developed firmwares.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I don't have a dog in this fight and probably should keep my big mouth shut -- but it seems to me that using the name FIRMWARE would be wise and also grammatically correct. If there were a variety of different firmware (receivers, sensors, etc) then the plural would be correct, but if all assets in that folder are for controlling the transmitter then singular is correct.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I wouldn't mind changing the name, it is only that the bootloader is common to several hardware platforms, and two of these are already released with the name "FIRMWARE". To change those now would simply confuse users.

Bootloaders for all platforms are available here: https://github.com/MikeBland/OpenRcBootloader.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I notice the nightly build for the SKY board does not seem to have a bootloader.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Not much has been done for the sky9x board yet. One thing at a time.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Should be just a case of grabbing the .lbm built from: https://github.com/MikeBland/OpenRcBootloader, tweak the makefile to include loadboot.cpp and adjust the .ld file to put everything in the correct place.
Bootloader already released and in use for the SKY board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Scott Page wrote:I don't have a dog in this fight and probably should keep my big mouth shut -- but it seems to me that using the name FIRMWARE would be wise and also grammatically correct. If there were a variety of different firmware (receivers, sensors, etc) then the plural would be correct, but if all assets in that folder are for controlling the transmitter then singular is correct.
Yes, that folder could contain a variety of different fimware(s), not only OpenTX, and not only firmware(s) for the transmitter. I choosed "FIRMWARES" because all folder names are plural in OpenTX. If grammatically FIRMWARE is the best choice I will change, but well, first search on the web showed me this one http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ , so I am really not sure.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

MikeB wrote:Should be just a case of grabbing the .lbm built from: https://github.com/MikeBland/OpenRcBootloader, tweak the makefile to include loadboot.cpp and adjust the .ld file to put everything in the correct place.
Bootloader already released and in use for the SKY board.

Mike.
The OpenTX team spent a lot of time on Taranis. Almost none on Sky9x / 9XR-PRO. Too much to do in too little time.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not sure why you needed to "choose" a name for the folder. I had already chosen one!
However, my only concern is for users. There are already questions on the RCG Taranis thread over what is the name of the folder, and this from users who probably haven't seen my version of the bootloader. So it seems there may well be an expectation for the name "FIRMWARE".
To avoid this discussion, I would be quite happy, as I've said, to change the name I use. My reason for not doing so is, again as I've said, it is already released.
The grammar can probably be discussed at length. I could argue the folder contains firmware files, it is the files that is plural, not the firmware.

I know you have been working on the Taranis mainly. I could then ask why you spent so much time merging the bootloader code into openTx for the Taranis when the code I wrote could have been implemented in about half an hour. That's all the time it took me to add it to openTx r2940.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ckleanth

Post by ckleanth »

current configuration companion 1.52 used in a taranis loaded with opentx 2940
tested configuration companion 1.99
loaded a current eepe and investigate in companion 1.99

Comments for model "EDGE":
Setup menu:
Companion 1.52 Switch startup warning is off, in 1.99 all switches check box is on, only pot warning is off
FM menu:
Personally I think all trims for FM1 to FM8 should default to FM0 trims and empty entries in flight modes that have "own value" and "0" should default to "flight mode 0"
More space to describe GVARS (excellent)
Sticks menu, now inputs menu:
An additional line has appeared with source 100% and weight 100%. I apreciate this is a conversion issue as in the original eepe
all inputs were defined for high, mid and low rates and as such we have the duplication for the three primary channels and the only line which is correct after
the conversion is the throttle input definition.
Mixes menu:
offset/weight conversion seems ok
Servos menu:
Current description is limited to 6 characters, can we have a few more - at least 2 more?
Curves menu:
Current description is limited to 6 characters, can we have a few more - at least 2 more?
Logical switches:
conversion seems ok
Special Functions:
conversion seems ok
Telemetry Menu
Omission of "yellow, orange and red" warnings with dedicated low and critical value sections makes more sense

overall happy with changes, can the above suggestions be considered for implementation?
Attachments
George_Taranis.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
If it has wings it will fly...
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

In model Editing Companion. Move up will not move higher than the current topmost line entry. For example, if Ch 1 is empty and click on any line in another channel to move it to Channel 1 it will stop in Ch 2 and will not fill Ch 1.
Another example. Make new model in companion. Delete all mixes. Make new mix line in any Channel...say 9 for example. The move down button works, move up button won't.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ckleanth wrote: Companion 1.52 Switch startup warning is off, in 1.99 all switches check box is on, only pot warning is off
It's intended, behavior is changed, so for safety we set everything to ON again. Disable what you don't want.
ckleanth wrote: Personally I think all trims for FM1 to FM8 should default to FM0 trims
That's what they do?
ckleanth wrote:and empty entries in flight modes that have "own value" and "0" should default to "flight mode 0"
Don't understand. Isn't that the opposite of what you say above?
ckleanth wrote: An additional line has appeared with source 100% and weight 100%. I apreciate this is a conversion issue
No it's normal. It's the "implicit" line that is in effect should no other line be active. On older versions if you had nothing on AIL, you had 100% weight and 0% expo. On 2.0, if you have no line you have no control. So the "default" entry is now visible.
There is no "intelligent" detection that sees that you've used all positions of a switch , and that as such this case will never happen. Your call to leave that useless line or not then. I like having the default "just in case" I did a change and forgot about it.
ckleanth wrote: Servos menu:
Curves menu:
No. The various places they're displayed don't have room for more without extensive UI rework.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Scott Page wrote:In model Editing Companion. Move up will not move higher than the current topmost line entry. For example, if Ch 1 is empty and click on any line in another channel to move it to Channel 1 it will stop in Ch 2 and will not fill Ch 1.
Should be fixed for next nightly build :)

This beta testing run is really productive, this bug has been in there like forever and was never noticed... it's actually present in eePe too!

Return to “openTx”