FrSky FAS-100 Telemetry Amperage Sensor

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
petaca

Re: FrSky FAS-100 Telemetry Amperage Sensor

Post by petaca »

For experienced Site.
I hope my question is understood.
Many sensors amperage "inform" the amps consumed by a voltage (1-3 volts) and a software interprets a value as consumer ...
For example: 1.33 volts = 12 amps current). The software also follows easily that information accumulated total battery consumption. For example: 1300 mah ....

The question is, if er9x-FRSKY is able to do this operation, from volts to report the current sensor (connected to port A1 or A2

My idea is to analyze if you can use other current sensor (plus FAS100 / 0).

I apologize for the question is a silly question, I'm no expert ....

I hope you have understood my question
regards

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

From the Manual:
-------------
Telemetry is only available if you have modified your radio for telemetry, and loaded the FrSky version of er9x.

Code: Select all

TELEMETRY         10/12
UsrProto  FrHub Met
A1 channel    0.0v 0.00
 alrm ---  < 0.00
 alrm ---  < 0.00
A2 channel    0.0v 0.00
 alrm ---  < 0.00
 alrm ---  < 0.00
First on this screen is UsrProto, which stands for User protocol. You have 2 options, if you have a Frsky hub plugged into the receiver then set this to FrHub. If you have the How High from Winged Shadow plugged into the receiver then set this to WSHhi..
The second option on this line is Imp or Met. For imperial or metric displays.
Next down it says A1 channel. Just to the right it will say 0.0v. This is where you set the range of your input. You may set the numeric value, and the type of the value.
Types are 'v' '-' 'V' 'A'
v = volts 0-25.5 max
- = raw conversion value
V = volts 0-51.0 max
A - Amps 0-65 max
The range is 3.3 times your divider ratio. The built in divider ratio in Frsky receivers is 4:1. So the range is 4*3.3 = 13.2. The number further to the right displays the channel voltage from the receiver scaled by your range value. So if you have your receiver plugged in you will get a value displayed here. This also allows you to calibrate the displayed voltage. Just connect a voltmeter so you know the battery voltage you are reading and adjust the range value so it matches.
-------------

So set A1 or A2 to 'A', and the range to match your sensor.
In telemetry data select the item either mAh1 (for A1) or mAh2 (for A2) for the capacity.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
petaca

Post by petaca »

Thank you very much Mike ! ( as always).

I was unable to calibrate the ammeter function well (which is what interests me ) , , ,
Maybe you are doing something wrong ....
I have done the following:

1) I have placed in A1 the " A". and I have connected a current sensor in A1 ( only the negative outputs and sensor)

2) When my sensor does not record current consumption represents the value v 2.52 ( on my voltmeter )

Then I calibrated the range until 2.52 v appears on screen er9x .... ( for it was necessary to place the value of 3.4 A)

3) Finally , I put in Amp and Mah1 screen ( to see instant motor consumption and accumulated consumption )

In testing , I note that the data are consistent not ( illogical ) , ,,, ( I Use a power meter connected to the battery to observe the actual consumption ) .

I'm sure I've done something wrong .....

Is there a procedure to tell er9x , for example, 2.52 v in A1 equals zero consumption 0 " A". And 3.2 v is a maximum consumption of 27 " A".
Excuse the question, maybe it's very silly .

I would greatly appreciate someone can help me .
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Your problem is the voltage on A1 is not 0 when the current consumption is 0.
At the moment, for the standard 9X Tx (with ATMEGA64) there is no way to offset this.
I have an idea so give me a bit of time to think it through.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Scalers? ;) maybe they don't fit :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

petaca

Post by petaca »

Mike thank you very much for answering!

The scale of amperage would be a very good addition to the er9x-FRSKY!
When you make changes to er9x where the public? (would be aware of this possibility)

I wanted to clarify that my radio is 9XR, working at 128.
regards

translated by google
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are you using eepe to flash the radio? If not I would recommend installing it as it makes it easy to find updates.
As you have a '128 processor, you need to flash er9x-128, er9x-FRSKY is for the '64 processor.
There is a test version of the next release here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598#p64969.
This includes a new facility called "SCALERS". Using one of these you will be able to sort out your scaling for A1.

While it is called a "test version", it functions as before, just has some new features (like scalers) that may be tested by other people.

If you flash this version (for the '128) I'll then go through how to set up a SCALER.

Using eepe, make sure you have selected 128 as the processor in the "preferences" menu AND in the "burn|configure" menu.
After flashing, you will also need to go to the RADIO SETUP menu and turn "FrSky Mod Done" to ON.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

Thanks Mike !
I have done all the suggested procedure ( er9x was installed successfully EEPE - 128 . ) .
I guess the scales are on page 13/13 ...
As explained in the previous post , I have connected a current sensor in A1.

My sensor indicates current consumption 2.52 v to zero ( 0 Amps ) and maximum consumption (max engine) v 3.2 ( equivalent to 27 Amp actual consumption measured with wattmeter ) .
I wonder if it is possible that er9x " interpret " a scale where 2.52 volts equals 0 Amp consumption . and 3.2 volts equvale 27 Amp ( max) ...

Values ​​should be placed in the scale is displayed for the accumulated consumption of MAH ?

SC1
Source A1 = ?
Name : xxxx
Off set?
multiplier ?
Divider ?
unit mah ?
sign?
decimals ?
off set at : first or last ?

I consider something else?

* Should I choose "A" in Channel A1 and calibrate the value to match the voltage sensor curren my zero ( 2.52 v ) consumption? ( screen 10/13)

I apologize for so many questions. Before I sought explanations in ER9X manually .... but do not appear ...

Thank you very much !
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A1 gives 0 at 0V input and 256 at 3.3V input.
2.52V input will give 195 (2.52 / 3.3 * 256).
3.2V input will give 248 (3.2 / 3.3 * 256)

248 - 195 = 53 (counts on the analog to digital). This represents 27 Amps.
So 27 / 53 = 0.51. This is 0.51 Amps per count.

I suggest setting A1 to type '-', this is the raw analog to digital value, the 195 and 248 values above.
then for SC1:
Source A1
Name "Amps"
Offset -195
multiplier 51 (100 times the 0.51 Amps per count above)
divider 10 (so now you have 10 times the amps)
unit Amps
sign +
decimals 1 (because you have 10 times the amps)
offset at: first

then use SC1 for display in the custom telemetry display and/or for a voice output.

Scalers are new, there is nothing in the manual yet!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

Genial!
Knowing the actual instantaneous consumption (Amp), I can see on display the accumulated consumption of the battery (mah consumed)?
I must do something special for it?
Thank you very much MIke
petaca

Post by petaca »

Mike:

Para configurar:

"I suggest setting A1 to type '-', this is the raw analog to digital value, the 195 and 248 values above".

Debo colocar "A1 Channel 195-" (en 10/13)

es correcto?

muchas gracias, nuevamente
petaca

Post by petaca »

Mike:
Sorry, forgot to google translate the above message!
The question is:

To set up:

"I suggest setting A1 to type '-', this is the raw analog to digital value, the 195 and 248 values ​​above".

I place "A1 Channel 195 -" (10/13)

is that correct?

thank you very much again
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Set A1 Channel 255 -
This gives you the full range of 0-255 expected by the Scaler.

I've just realised there is a bug that stops the "Current Source" editing from working. I've just put a new test version on the test versions post.

So with this one, on the TELEMETRY2 menu, at the bottom you will find an option "Current Source" that may be set to:
---, A1, A2, FasV, SC1, SC2, SC3 or SC4

If you set this to SC1, then the consumed mAh will be available in the telemetry item "mAh".

Using SC1 (or 2,3,4) for this is new, so may have the odd bug still in it!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

Thank you very much Mike!

Then, installing it ER9X-128 again. Then I'll enter the suggested values ​​....
Just to be sure.
In my setup, "current source" must be related to A1 or SC1?
  (remember that I have edited my SC1 and current sensor is connected to A1 channel)
Prove it all tonight and tomorrow I tell the forum.

Thank you very much!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Set "current source" to SC1.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

FANTASTIC!
er9x can read accumulated consumption of the battery (mah) and instantaneous consumption (Amps).
And best of all, it works with Quacky sensor curr
ent connected to A1 (not necessary FAS100/40)!

You should only be able to locate the negative cable and signal leaving the current sensor (delivery between approx 1-3 volts ... if it exceeds the scale, a diode is used) and plug in A1 following the instructions of Mike.

TESTS

I tried twice MAH measuring, comparing the information with a wattmeter instrument.
Here are the results:

First measurement:
Wattmeter: 1600 mah
ER9X: 1570 mah

Second measurement:
Wattmeter: 465 mah
ER9X: 463 mah!

Simply extraordinary mike!
thank you very much
petaca

Post by petaca »

edited
a correction:
"Works with ANY current sensor connected to A1 (not necessary FAS100/40)!"
34South

Post by 34South »

I have a Flysky 9x, with relevant Smartieparts boards, and am running ER9X-R803 FrSky NOHT. I have a FrSky FBVS-01 voltage sensor hooked up to port A2 on a D8R II Plus receiver, and that setup works just fine and it displays the 4S battery voltage correctly.

I now added a FAS-100, and it is connected to the RX (Digital Data Stream) port of the receiver. I have the Custom Display on Telemetry 2 page setup to display Amps, and Mah - but I see minimal (0.1 A and 0Mah) when the motors are running.

Now I am sure I am missing something, 'cause all instructions refer to A1 or A2. But this is not an analog sensor and, as stated it is connected to the RX port. How do I set it up/configure to display the Amps and Mahs correctly? I would appreciate some guidance.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It sounds like you have the correct setup, I use such a setup myself, just on a D8R-XP Rx.

To rule out obvious possibilities, check you have the correct side of the FAS-100 connected to the battery and check the signal wire (yellow? not black) is connecting to the RX pin.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
34South

Post by 34South »

Thanks Mike.

I bought the supposed FAS-100 from a guy over on the RCGroups forum, and it transpired that he (unknowingly??) shipped me one of the FAS-40 relabeled to FAS-100. As posted earlier the In/Out labels are swapped - so this could explain why I am not seeing any readings.

Now FrSky did state that 125 x FAS-100 units were shipped out to HK using the FAS-40 board, but "they have been tested and work 100%" and that the In/Out should be swapped. Now that is all fine and dandy, but I am not about to go experiment with a questionable $20 part on a $2000 hexacopter! The risk is just not worth it.

So I will order a "real" FAS-100 and install that. On that note, are there any configurations that I would need to make in the TX over and above the setup I explained in my first post?

On a side note, is R803 still the latest Frsky NOHT ER9X build?

34S
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The current latest build of er9x is r812. In order to reduce the number of different versions I need to build, I've stopped building the "NOHT" versions. I'm not even really sure why Bertrand originally introduced all these different versions. The 'latest' er9x-frsky.hex is now the one to use. Because of flash memory constraints, it doesn't include templates, but it does include the heli.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

MikeB wrote:I'm not even really sure why Bertrand originally introduced all these different versions.
Simply so as not to have to step over 2 screens you never use everytime you browse the menus :)
kaos

Post by kaos »

A RC pilot never fly a heli is not a complete pilot. :P :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Kilrah wrote:
MikeB wrote:I'm not even really sure why Bertrand originally introduced all these different versions.
Simply so as not to have to step over 2 screens you never use everytime you browse the menus :)
With the new er9x menu system, you don't have to.. you go directly to the menu you want ;) it will be a really big improvement :) Thank you Mike.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
34South

Post by 34South »

MikeB wrote:It sounds like you have the correct setup, I use such a setup myself, just on a D8R-XP Rx.

To rule out obvious possibilities, check you have the correct side of the FAS-100 connected to the battery and check the signal wire (yellow? not black) is connecting to the RX pin.

Mike.
So, I bought a real FAS-100 and correctly installed that. I upgraded to FrSky812. Now, My TX is correctly displaying Amps, but 0 mah. As I mentioned earlier, I have Amps and Mah selected in the Telemetry screen. Any suggestions on how to get Mah to display?

34S
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In the TELEMETRY2 menu, there is now a choice for the "Current Source", select FASV. This was done to reduce the amount of code as there were three copies of the code, one for A1, one for A2 and one for the FAS.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

When I use my FAS-100 on erskye for Taranis with X8D receiver and FVAS-02H the voltage on A1 fluctuates between a reading of .4 and the receiver voltage.
The log file shows the same problem. It is either 0.4V or what looks like the receiver voltage 5.6V.

Paul
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Could you display RxV on a custom telemetry display, and see if that fluctuates? This should be the receiver voltage.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

I change my custom screen to read A1, FasV, and RxV. The original problem was A1 on the custom screen. It rapidly fluctuates between .3 and .4. When I disconnect the battery on the aircraft it then shows 5.7V which is the BEC output. The 5.7V was probably the last voltage it read before the disconnect. FasV and RxV always show 0.0. I setup a voice switch to read A1 and it read .4Volts. Changing the switch to FasV gave the expected 0. Changing the switch to RxV gave an announcemetn of "one hundred ten"!! On the screen to the right of the custom screen A1 shows a solid 5.7V and the high and low readings are 0.3v and 5.7v. using ENT to reset the high/low immediately shows the same 0.3v and 5.7v. The next screen to the right shows A1=5.7V.
I have been using mah on the custom screen and it seems to work correctly. The mah at the end of the flight is slightly less than my charger reports the mah after the battery is charged again. The charger should always put in more mah than was used due to inefficiencies in the charging process. The voice readout of Mah1 is agrees with the custom screen mah.

Telemetry log at 1 read/sec. gives A1 usually at 0.3 or 0.4 with every 7th to 15th reading showing 5.7. Volts column is always 0.

Paul
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

PNaz: Which hardware and firmware are you using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”