T9X mod to use Flysky module, Frysky module and DSMX module

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
kaos

T9X mod to use Flysky module, Frysky module and DSMX module

Post by kaos »

per Showmaster's idea I am going to post this question I have for everybody's input.\

Here is the question:
I have the Turnigy 9X V2 Tx. I like the idea of just plug in the Frysky module. But this way , I can't use the stock module any more cause I have to desolder the antenna or cut it. Is it possible to solder a simple single pin on the stock module and solder a single pin connector to the stock antenna wire. This way I can unplug the stock antenna and remove the stock module and plug in the Frysky DJT module? Leave the stock antenna there. when I want to use the stock module, just plug in the stock antenna to the pin soldered on the stock module? I have about 15 stock Rx and 12 models on the stock already.
and this is what I am suppose to use with myTx right?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... FR_RX.html
Here is Showmaster's kind answer:
Yes the DJT is the correct module that matches the turinigy 9x module pins. The rx with that combo will be the latest version of the d8r II plus, mine were.

I search on the 9x forum or a post requesting info on using both the stock 9x module and the DJT should get you some good options.
To still use the original Turnigy module as HK has modified the antenna connection does create a challenge. HK I'm sure planed it this way. The FlySky TX comes with the antenna mounted on the module and is the best way to go since you just plug in the original or the Frsky DJT and the antenna goes along.
I bought 1 FlySky 9x from leaders hobby just to because their system setup has the antenna mounted on the stock 9x module so the antenna goes with the module I use and is not on the case with a soldered coax to deal with.
What others are doing is to remove the antenna from the HK 9x case and mounting it on the 9x module. Some buy an extra coax and connector accessory and drill a hole in the module back to mount the connector in and solder the coax end to the module. Others have reused the original antenna and coax and have made brackets or glued the antenna to the module back. I'm not in favor of glue but if it works it works?
I think a post requesting ideas will get you a lot of good ideas and pictures of options.
The actual antenna is the last 3/4 or so inches of the tip of the rubber antenna. The most important thing is to make sure the coax shield and center conductor goes back where they were soldered on the modules original solder pads. Coax is transmission line and can be shortened but must be kept electrically the same connections on the module to radiate the rf from the actual antenna at the tip.
Maybe a simple bracket on the module back for strength out of thin brass etc to mount the antenna on?
So...
Your options
Mount the antenna on the 9x module and off the case.

*** another radical but good option to use what you own now!
Remove the 9x module deck from it's case and mount it inside the 9x case and reconnect the case antenna leaving the module bay open for the DJT module with its own antenna and run 2 systems at the same time or add a switch to power off the internal rf deck when not in use.*****

Find a FlySky rf module with antenna on it.

A second FlySky or Turnigy TX for your older RX's.

I hope these ideas help. Let me know what you finally decided on and let others on the forum know so it can help others.
SM
and Yes, I do have 2 Turnigy 9X. But there are model/plane already set up in one of them with stock firm ware. It is a real chore to reset 5 heli, 3 planes at the same time. I will move one by one to the other er9x flashed Tx when they crash and needs to be reset any way. :)
But I already have 2 heli and one plane already set up in the other ER9X Tx too. For newer module or FPV model I am planning on build, I want to use Frysky module to get longer range. But still use the old stock RF module to fly what is already set up there.
So I did find at leaders hobby the Flysky RF module: http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220452
I assume this module will work with my Turnigy 9X v2 Tx. All I have to do is remove the old soldered module/antenna and just switch between the Frysky and Flysky module(plug and play) to fly. This is probably the easiest way and without any 'mod' or soldering at all beside cutting a wire and remove old antenna. :mrgreen: (now you know I am lazy) Also this will leave me with only one antenna instead of two ugly antenna at the same time.

Now here is the thought. Once the Tx becomes true modular. I don't even need to do the 1K mod on Tx for simulator any more? right?. Just unplug the module and connect to simulator?

And with both my Tx already has HK blue led in there, is there still a need to jump the wire from 3rd to the 470 ohm resistor and cut the trace between the 5th solder to the 470 ohm resistor for either simulator use or Trainer/master function?
From what i have been reading. for trainer/function of the stock module , I still need to do this but for Frysky module I don't need to do this, correct?
Last edited by kaos on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilrah

Re: T9X mod to use both Flysky module and Frysky module

Post by Kilrah »

What I would do (will do when I receive my 2nd 9x I ordered today) is unsolder the antenna from the stock TX module, remove the antenna from the case, and install an antenna and connector on the module case itself with a set like this in the same way I did my spektrum module. This will of course require cutting the pigtail or getting one without the u.fl connector at the end.

Now here is the thought. Once the Tx becomes true modular. I don't even need to do the 1K mod on Tx for simulator any more? right?. Just unplug the module and connect to simulator?
Exact.
And with both my Tx already has HK blue led in there, is there still a need to jump the wire from 3rd to the 470 ohm resistor and cut the trace between the 5th solder to the 470 ohm resistor for either simulator use or Trainer/master function?
If you don't need/want the backlight to be on when used as trainer, than no, otherwise yes.
kaos

Post by kaos »

So, use with simulator I don't need to that 470 ohm mod either (if I don't need the light on)? Now lets get one terminology clear (i am confused when people saying this). you say trainer, that means the master? or the slave? To me, trainer is the master, trainee is the slave. but don't see people using trainee very often. :)

Why not drill a hole on the back of the stock module and fix the antenna in the hole like yours and solder the original antenna wire back to the module board (I can desolder instead of cutting the wire when I take it out of the TX). Something tricky about soldering it back?

By the way, where did you get your Spectrum DSMX module? I am looking for one so I can get a Sbach 340 like yours. that one looks good. From the review, it flies very well too.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:So, use with simulator I don't need to that 470 ohm mod either (if I don't need the light on)? Now lets get one terminology clear (i am confused when people saying this). you say trainer, that means the master? or the slave? To me, trainer is the master, trainee is the slave. but don't see people using trainee very often. :)
Well, I looked at your post, and you said "Trainer/master" - so I presumed you referred to the master TX by that, and the "trainee" TX by "trainer" :D

AFAIK the trainee doesn't need modding IF you remove the module, and the Trainer TX never needs one (not 100% sure about the 2nd part). I personally did it, only takes 2mins to put a resistor there and not worry anymore :D
kaos wrote:Why not drill a hole on the back of the stock module and fix the antenna in the hole like yours and solder the original antenna wire back to the module board (I can desolder instead of cutting the wire when I take it out of the TX). Something tricky about soldering it back?
No problem, but how do you then mount the antenna to the module? There's no convenient way with the original mount that goes on the transmitter top. Need to hack something, while I prefer it clean with the wall-mounted SMA :)
kaos wrote:By the way, where did you get your Spectrum DSMX module? I am looking for one so I can get a Sbach 340 like yours. that one looks good. From the review, it flies very well too.
Bought a ~$60 DX4e on eBay. Yep that plane looks and flies great :D I'll have to order a 2nd one soon...
kaos

Post by kaos »

Kilrah wrote:AFAIK the trainee doesn't need modding IF you remove the module, and the Trainer TX never needs one (not 100% sure about the 2nd part). I personally did it, only takes 2mins to put a resistor there and not worry anymore :D
put a resistor on the HK light? :?:
No problem, but how do you then mount the antenna to the module? There's no convenient way with the original mount that goes on the transmitter top. Need to hack something, while I prefer it clean with the wall-mounted SMA :)
Am I missing something here? You want it neat and clean so want me to buy a 10.00 antenna and spend a hr to mod it. pull out my 29.00 black and decker drill which shakes like crazy, and probably burn my finger with my 15.00 soldering gun and turn out not very neat ;) , and not to get a plug and play Flysky module costs a hefty 16.00 from Ready heli.

Kilrah, you are officially badged as Nerds here now. :mrgreen:
Kilah wrote:Bought a ~$60 DX4e on eBay. Yep that plane looks and flies great :D I'll have to order a 2nd one soon...
So the er9x already fixed the DSMx working issue? Last time I read about DSM, they were still working on the bugs in DSM2.
I am interested in both Sbach and the mcpx from Horizon.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:put a resistor on the HK light? :?:
No, on the PPM signal: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _simulator
kaos wrote:You want it neat and clean so want me to buy a 10.00 antenna and spend a hr to mod it. pull out my 29.00 black and decker drill which shakes like crazy, and probably burn my finger with my 15.00 soldering gun and turn out not very neat ;) , and not to get a plug and play Flysky module costs a hefty 16.00 from Ready heli.
No, I understood you wanted to use the stock module that comes with the radio, but remove the antenna from the top of the TX and attach it to the module case to be able to remove it easily. As that antenna has no mount, I was suggesting using the pigtail instead. If you were actually talking of buying the $16 "old" stock module with the integrated antenna, then I understood wrong.
kaos wrote:So the er9x already fixed the DSMx working issue? Last time I read about DSM, they were still working on the bugs in DSM2.
Yup, it's been stable for a while AFAIK. At least it now is, been flying with it since I have my 9x :D
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

DSM2, It's always been stable since it was released to general public.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Kilrah wrote:

No, on the PPM signal: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _simulator
So what you are suggesting is do the 1K mod for ppm, AND the HK led light (not the 170 transistor) need to cut the the 5th track to 470 ohm resistor and short the 3rd point to 470 ohm resistor?
Kilrah wrote: No, I understood you wanted to use the stock module that comes with the radio, but remove the antenna from the top of the TX and attach it to the module case to be able to remove it easily. As that antenna has no mount, I was suggesting using the pigtail instead. If you were actually talking of buying the $16 "old" stock module with the integrated antenna, then I understood wrong.

NO, you did not udnerstand wrong. If I can figure out a way to use the stock antenna by soldering it back to the module and fix the antenna to the module box is great. but spend 10.00 to get a connector with A LOT OF WORK vs 16 get a whole plug and play module, hmmmm :D

yeh, if just resolder the wire back to the module board will work, I will see what I can do to fix that antenna to the moduble box without spending 10 while still clean and neat. ;)

So, Cre8tiveleo you are saying DSM2 is working in er9x but not DSMX? How come Kilrah has his module labelled as DSMX? :mrgreen:
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

No, I said dsm2 has always been working. DSMX is newer.

You're just getting even for all the head spinning our geekiness has done to you, that's all. It's okay...

:mrgreen:
kaos

Post by kaos »

OK. I think this will work:
get this and put it in the module box and solder to the antenna lead.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ufl-to-RP-SMA-f ... 4cfc648d43

then, get this and screw it:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... tenna.html

end up with a nice and neat with shining gold plated base with 5db antenna.

total: 8.00 cheaper than Kilrah's mod. NOw I am even. :mrgreen:

and I did find a way that cost 0.00 with good esthetics: http://www.hacksmods.com/2011/12/turnig ... tenna-mod/

Now the question is: where do I get another module box for my DSM module mod. :D (already placed a bid on one of the DX4e)
From what I read DX4e module will give me 6ch, DSM2/X, full range capability. How to mod it (I have read the mod that is placed inside the Tx) to sit in a module box and be able to plug and play. Just like the FRysky and Stock module? Ah, just like the one Kilrah showed.
Kilrah, care to share your secret? ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

A few photos of my module:

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

T9X mod to use both Flysky module and Frysky module

Post by Rob Thomson »

The module case...

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Defaul ... ID=JRPA615

So... Code JRPA615

Search the net... Bound to be someone who sells them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
kaos

Post by kaos »

Thx guys. I think with Kilrah's pic, even I can do it. :) IF I don't burn out the PCB board with my 14.00 soldering gun. :mrgreen:
Ithink those pics with some write up should go to wiki stie as well. Very illustrative.
BUT, where is that binding PCB with button comes from? and how do you power the module? From what I read in Wiki, for inside Tx mod, you need to solder ppm wire and an 3.3 v ESC in there without a brown out?

woo, I see Kilrah has a DX5e module. I thought you got a DX4e. or you have 2!
clarify this for me. if I get a DX4e module, I should get 6 ch capability and DSMX capability?

still the highest bidder for a DX4e , 20 hrs to go. :)
Last edited by kaos on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

DX4E has a dx5e module in it. Same module.. should say that in the wiki... somewhere...

You get 6ch compatibility and dsmx. even with the lp4 you get 6channels but no dsmx. :D
kaos

Post by kaos »

got it. leo. Ithink somewhere in there says DX4e is DSMX, but did not say DX4E has a DX5e module.;)

Gee, you are fast, answered before I finished editing the typo. :)
kaos

Post by kaos »

Kilrah, really nice and neat soldering/wiring. Are you one of those workers at the OEM electronic factory production line doing this all day long? ;) :mrgreen:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:BUT, where is that binding PCB with button comes from?
It comes from the stock 9x module, that's how it looks originally:

As that little board provides the socket for the TX connection and a 5V regulator I reused it instead of resorting to lots of glue.
kaos wrote:and how do you power the module?
I added a 3.3V regulator (the 3-pin component) between the existing 5V regulator and the DSM module. You can reuse the regulator that is in the DX4e, it will work too but assembly will just be a little less clean ;)
kaos wrote:Kilrah, really nice and neat soldering/wiring. Are you one of those workers at the OEM electronic factory production line doing this all day long? ;) :mrgreen:
Nope lol, but but I am an electronics engineer, so even if most of my job would be in design/programming, assembly is also part of it - quite a bit of experience followed :D
kaos

Post by kaos »

Hmm, never saw an engineer with hand work like that before. Are you sure you are an engineer! :mrgreen:
Oh well, it is Swiss made. ;)

Ah, just see you are way out in Switzerland. :? Just thinking about sending you the DX4e module and the stock module for you to make one for me. But I think the postage back and forth would be enough to buy a new one. :)

but looks like I 'have to' buy another stock module to do this mod. Still need to keep the original stock module to fly the existing plane/heli already programmed in it. :? The modular RF module for all 3 systems, stock, Frysky, DSMX. Yeh. Write it up and post them in wiki. This is by far better than stuffing wires in the Tx. :)
kaos

Post by kaos »

Got another question here, may be 2. ;)
1. I have read some people mod their stock module inside the tx and leave them on with Frysky module plugged at the back. If both 2.4GHz module are sending signal out at such close distance (the antenna), won't that cause any interferences with each other? or the modded stock module has to be turned off by a switch?

I am thinking, if both module can be turned on at the same time. I may mod one of my 2 er9x, so one is modular, and the other keep the stock module inside the tx. then I can use Frysky module at the back to fly fPV, and use stock module to control one (or more) stock Rx to do some funny things. :)

2. Every time I read people mod the module or swap to other module, they also replace the antenna with the new module (say DXM mdoule with spectrum anntena). Shouldn't any 2.4 GHz antenna work with any 2.4 GHz module?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:Hmm, never saw an engineer with hand work like that before. Are you sure you are an engineer! :mrgreen:
No, not sure at all actually :mrgreen: I did the studies and have the paper, but didn't have much fun in it - I much preferred the technician training that came before. And that didn't prevent me from designing things, so...
kaos wrote:Write it up and post them in wiki. This is by far better than stuffing wires in the Tx. :)
Yeah, I should do a Wiki page...
kaos wrote:1. I have read some people mod their stock module inside the tx and leave them on with Frysky module plugged at the back. If both 2.4GHz module are sending signal out at such close distance (the antenna), won't that cause any interferences with each other? or the modded stock module has to be turned off by a switch?
Most people who integrate more than one module usually add a switch to select which one is powered, yes...
kaos wrote:2. Every time I read people mod the module or swap to other module, they also replace the antenna with the new module (say DXM mdoule with spectrum anntena). Shouldn't any 2.4 GHz antenna work with any 2.4 GHz module?
Yes of course. But for example I have an antenna on each module because I don't want to have to have to move antennas around...
For those who integrate modules in the TX it's the same, as you need a separate antenna for each TX you dedicate one to each so that you don't have to move one around...
kaos

Post by kaos »

Kilrah wrote: Most people who integrate more than one module usually add a switch to select which one is powered, yes...
OK, i just can't do the fun stuff then. :cry:
Kilah wrote: Yes of course. But for example I have an antenna on each module because I don't want to have to have to move antennas around...
For those who integrate modules in the TX it's the same, as you need a separate antenna for each TX you dedicate one to each so that you don't have to move one around...
Good, will get 2 frysky antenna for the stock module and DSMX moudle. :)
Last edited by kaos on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

I read somewhere (maybe on RCG) that it was not a good idea to regularly swap modules on the 9X as the contact pins on the TX were not very good quality.
Wonder if anyone here has given their Tx a lot of use by swapping modules in and out, and if so has it done any damage or made the radio unreliable?
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The problem is not the radio.. the problem is the connector in the frsky DJT module.. it's not very good quality.. I avoid removing my module. only when really necessary..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

Is it because the Frysky connector is too fat or too thin? or position not lined up well?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I thought it actually looked pretty good when I opened mine to mod it, the contacts are pretty flexible and have good spring action... :?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I'm just relaying what I also read in the forums.. and looking at mine, do I trust it?? no... :)

Maybe they're using different ones now?? don't know.. my next module is a DIY frsky module.. ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

:cry: Was outbid by someone else. Was busy and forgot to take a look at the end time. did not get the DX4e. :cry: So Sbach, you have to wait.
Sart looking for one again - cheap. ;)
Did find a Phoenix sim + Dx4e for 132.00 in Europe tough. worth considering. nice to have Phoenix too.
http://www.myhelis.com/PhoenixRC-Simula ... ktrum-DX4e
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yes, yes, :D I just got a DX4e from ebay.. can start the mod now.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

:mrgreen: No, I didn't.. Just kidding :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:Maybe they're using different ones now?? don't know.. my next module is a DIY frsky module.. ;)
That's how mine looks:

Return to “Electronic Mods”