Can't flash Taranis...

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Scott Page

Re: Can't flash Taranis...

Post by Scott Page »

Kilrah wrote:No, as mentioned you just needed to run zadig.

Sent via mobile
Had a friend having this problem come over today. His Taranis would NOT flash with his computer. Worked fine (after running zadig) with mine. Device manager recognized computer. Ran zadig and did replace driver many times. Works fine connected in TX on mode. Only difference we could see was he had USB3.0 and I didn't.

He's flashed for now. But don't know what else to do.

punkindrublik

Post by punkindrublik »

Scott Page wrote:
Kilrah wrote:No, as mentioned you just needed to run zadig.

Sent via mobile
Had a friend having this problem come over today. His Taranis would NOT flash with his computer. Worked fine (after running zadig) with mine. Device manager recognized computer. Ran zadig and did replace driver many times. Works fine connected in TX on mode. Only difference we could see was he had USB3.0 and I didn't.

He's flashed for now. But don't know what else to do.
It was determined in the Taranis thread on RCG that USB 3.0 doesn't work. I know these guys are aware already and probably have a fix in mind.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I use it fine under USB 3.

I would think it is more likely related to a card/driver/os combo.

No doubt more testing will highlight the issue better in time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's more of a compuer problem, but yes some USB3 controllers (especially the early ones) have trouble with some devices. Some saw firmware or BIOS updates to try and solve it.
I can't use the USB3 on my PC for some things, for example an iPhone wouldn't get recognised.
jonlowe

Post by jonlowe »

I found that my ExpressCard USB 3 card with a Renasas chipset for my laptop would not flash the firmware, but a USB 2 port built in to the laptop worked ok. I found that the driver for the card dated from 2010. I found a later driver online from 2012 by using Google, and now it will work correctly with Taranis and C9x to flash firmware. Windows Update doesn't find a driver other than the 2010 driver. I found the later Renasas driver here:http://www.station-drivers.com/page/renesas.htm. You can check what chipset you have in Windows device manager.

MrClean

Post by MrClean »

I've often had issues with what works for one version of Windows doesn't quite fly with another. However, with the above instructions and running Windows 8 Zadig got me up and running and with a little paintshop I've got this

So, I'm happy. Gotta go through how to setup a plane again but that's just to learn how to do it from scratch instead of the load a template and the fiddle with it in companion and on the radio till it all works.

You guys are a great help.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

MrClean wrote:I've often had issues with what works for one version of Windows doesn't quite fly with another. However, with the above instructions and running Windows 8 Zadig got me up and running and with a little paintshop I've got this

So, I'm happy. Gotta go through how to setup a plane again but that's just to learn how to do it from scratch instead of the load a template and the fiddle with it in companion and on the radio till it all works.

You guys are a great help.
I noticed that was your first post. Welcome aboard. Please buckle your seat belt and place your seat in the upright position.

I left you a little house warming gift @ http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 273#p57273
Attachments
Mr Clean.zip
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Wingsounds13

Post by Wingsounds13 »

Yes, Taranis is quite a ride, but worth it.

J.P.
RussK

Post by RussK »

I cannot read flash memory or write flash memory from Taranis. I get msg: No DFU capable device found. All USB ports on my laptop are USB 3. Taranis is turned off. I have run Zadig many times successfully. In Device Manager I see: STM32 Bootloader.
When I turn on Taranis I can read and write EEPROM. I would like to have better Vario sounds. Can I do this by writing to EEPROM or do I have to Flash?
Taranis is working fine. I have setup 2 models. A Radian and an Alula. Both fly OK with Taranis. This is my first computer radio.
How do I find out progress on USB 3 problem fix?
Thanks to all who provide info on this forum!
Russ
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

RussK wrote:I cannot read flash memory or write flash memory from Taranis. I get msg: No DFU capable device found. All USB ports on my laptop are USB 3. Taranis is turned off. I have run Zadig many times successfully. In Device Manager I see: STM32 Bootloader.
When I turn on Taranis I can read and write EEPROM. I would like to have better Vario sounds. Can I do this by writing to EEPROM or do I have to Flash?
Taranis is working fine. I have setup 2 models. A Radian and an Alula. Both fly OK with Taranis. This is my first computer radio.
How do I find out progress on USB 3 problem fix?
Thanks to all who provide info on this forum!
Russ
I've a friend with a Dell laptop with all USB3 connections and an Taranis. His Dell will not flash the firmware -- We have gone through the process in excess of 20 times over several days. His is set up exactly the same as mine and I have no problems. I'm even able to flash to his Taranis -- but his computer simply will not flash. We went to support.dell.com and downloaded the drivers for everything and updated them, and still no joy. He's recently retired from working in IT - so both of us are pretty much stymied.
RussK

Post by RussK »

Scott,
Tks for the info. My laptop is Asus G75VW. I'll work on finding different (newer)drivers for USB 3. Seems to me I saw somewhere that you or someone else
had put together a better set of vario sounds. Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to write that to EEPROM even if I cannot flash?
Russ
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

RussK wrote:Scott,
Tks for the info. My laptop is Asus G75VW. I'll work on finding different (newer)drivers for USB 3. Seems to me I saw somewhere that you or someone else
had put together a better set of vario sounds. Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to write that to EEPROM even if I cannot flash?
Russ
Even if you can't flash new firmware, you can still burn the eeprom and get access to the SD card as a volume. The difference is when you want to flash new firmware you connect the Tx with the power of the tx off. When you want to burn the EEPROM or get access to the SD card you connect to the USB with the Tx on and warning screens cleared.
JAB

Post by JAB »

Hi, new on here and just got my Taranis last week. I too cannot flash it, eeprom or firmware. My computer does not see it when it is plugged in regardless of it being on or off. It does not show up in the device manager. Reading this thread, I decided to check and my ASUS laptop has USB 3.0. I will be looking for new drivers as well as finding an older machine to plug into to rule out the radio's USB. Just wanted to say thanks for all of the useful information and that it appears that there are definitely some hardware compatibility issues out there.

Jon

*edit* OK,so the radio did not work with a different computer with USB 2.0. I did notice that when I had the radio on and I connected it, I could see the USB icon on the display but the pc could not see the radio. Well, a new USB cable and it is a whole different story... yeah. Now when I try to flash the firmware I keep getting "DFU util executable not found", back to plugging away to figure out what I am missing.
Jon
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

In the configuration for companion... Set a valid path for dfu-util. (Should be in the folder companion was installed too!)

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
JAB

Post by JAB »

Thanks. I found my problem, it was not where companion thought it was. I installed open 9x on a turnigy about 2 months ago without any problems( with the now bad USB cable ) and when I got the taranis I decided to put everything I downloaded for it in a seperate folder. I had to point compaion to the new location. In companion I went to burn, configure and then used browse to find the file it wanted. Hopefully this helps someone else.
Now what is the acronym for when the trouble is between the keyboard and the chair?
Jon
JAB

Post by JAB »

Thanks Rob! Although my problem was self induced... I flashed my 9x a few months ago(using the now bad cable ) with no problems what so ever, but when I got the taranis, I decided to put all of the files I downloaded for it in their own folder. I had to find the .exe file it was looking for in the other folder and point companion there. Hopefully someone else can learn from my difficulties.
What is that acronym for trouble located between keyboard and chair?
Jon
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

JAB wrote:Thanks. I found my problem, it was not where companion thought it was. I installed open 9x on a turnigy about 2 months ago without any problems( with the now bad USB cable ) and when I got the taranis I decided to put everything I downloaded for it in a seperate folder. I had to point compaion to the new location. In companion I went to burn, configure and then used browse to find the file it wanted. Hopefully this helps someone else.
Now what is the acronym for when the trouble is between the keyboard and the chair?
O that's not an acronym, it's a virus. The Eye Dee Ten Tee virus.
NeilRogers

Post by NeilRogers »

I had no problem flashing with my Acer W7 laptop but my brother's setup using the Toshiba C855 W7 appears to load the drivers and create the usb device ok
But if the dfu is run (powered off) no usb device is found note the power on functions ok and I can inspect the sd address card

Looking at the config of the laptop it looks to have 1 x usb 3 & 2 x usb 2 but internally using has usb 3 hub.
I think I read usb 3 was a problem.

Ive tried -a0 and -a1 to try to address the usb device but no luck.

It is worth me continuing on this laptop or switch to something else.

Thanks neil
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Probably the laptop USB drivers. Maybe update to latest versions?

Have you tried any of the other ports?

NeilRogers

Post by NeilRogers »

Thanks rob
All working now basically did nothing other than leave overnight and all worked the follow day
Very strange still it's sorted
yodani

Post by yodani »

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I as most of you am a new Taranis owner. I experienced the same problems like the ones described above and after a lot of fiddling with the drivers... cables... ports I have managed to only read the firmware from Taranis but I can not burn the new firmware as companion 9x crushes instantly when I push the burn button. Any idea what happens with the companion? Any settings I should know? Thank you for your help.

Daniel
yodani

Post by yodani »

Finaly I have solved the problem as follows:

First the driver was not installing and I was getting the one with DFU device... than I have changed the USB port in the computer from 3.0 to 2.0 and it worked but only reading the firmware from Taranis. When I was trying to burn the firmware my Companion 9x was crushing instantly. I have noticed the crushes since I have updated to the latest version companion9xInstall_v1.48.exe than I have downgraded it to companion9xInstall_v1.47.exe and it just worked.

I have to say this is so confusing and frustrating as you have like 3 ways to update TAranis - the FrSky way almost worked but it would not finish the install and crushed during the process.

Hope this helps somebody with same problem.
Rico69

Post by Rico69 »

I spent hours trying figure out why my USB worked at one time then quit working with my Taranis. I ended up unplugging three USB devices on my PC to finally get my Taranis to communicate to my USB. Hard to believe something as simple and two many active USB ports in use caused this much trouble. I hope this helps some folks.

Windows 7 64 bit
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Probably to much relying on the USB bus for power :)

andynr

Post by andynr »

Hi I have read through the threads and responses but still cannot connect the Tx to laptop (9x).

this is what i have tried so far:
1. downloaded zadig and companion 9x
2. downloaded taranis usb driver and extracted all files
3. connected taranis using a usb cable, tx turned off.
4. tried the above on my dell laptop with usb 2.
5. downloaded and retried the above with tx connected from start
6. downloaded and tried above on another laptop.
7. each time i go to the device manager and it does not show anything for the taranis.
8. each time i open zadig and list devices, the stm bootloader file is not found.

Not sure where i am going wrong. Is there a dedicated usb cable i need? I have one cable which fits the tx and been trying that.

Any help advise would be appreciated!

To start with i have manually entered the first two models onto the tx but would far prefer to use the laptop.
andynr

Post by andynr »

all i can say is it must have been too much fizzy wine...its all working now - reinstalled everything and changed my usb cable.
Animal60

Post by Animal60 »

I use companion on windows; after installing drivers i could get a connection; i could get an upload and download of EEPE model setup but could not update firmware.
I then went to the companion install directory and was surprised to find the DFUSE.exe file name was different to the name in companion setup search path.
I changed the path name to suit the correct file path and all worked fine after that.
Taranis needed to be turned off to do a firmware update.
Phoebus7

Post by Phoebus7 »

My three PC's do not see the Taranis. I do not get any of the recognition files. I have installed Zadig and tried the Dfuse. Is my USB port dead on the radio?
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

This zadig driver is strange animal... some story here from my experiences.

I had a HP Elitebook 8540w with USB2 and USB3 ports. At the begining, when I received Taranis it has been working properly with both type of USB ports.

Then I got a new Laptop: Lenovo W530 with both type of USB ports. Instantly I noticed that USB3 doesn't work with Taranis (even that zadig were succesfully installed through that port). USB2 did work as expected, for sometime. I updated firmware at least once and downloaded old fw to hard-drive (SSD) also.

Yesterday I tried to upgrade latest OpenTX firmware. DFU-util announced 'cannot found device' -error. I tried all the ports, un-installing and re-installing the drivers and companion, multiple times. It did not help. Cannot get newer computer to update the Taranis anymore. I fired up my old laptop, connect Taranis to it and upgraded the firmware without any issues.

I installed latest companion (1.52) to both computers before upgrade session. I also did try different versions of Zadig drivers to newer computer without success. It always identify STM32 BOOTLOADER and that is shown on Windows 7 x64 (both laptop has same OS) Device Manager, but dfu-util does not recognize radio. No matter what I try. I did have all preferences and etc. set-up in Companion.

Glad I still have that old computer.

-Spoogy
What goes up, must come down. -Isaac Newton
OpenTX - expanding possibilities
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Hopefully, the bootloader won't be too long coming out. Once you have that, DFU/Zadig becomes a thing of the past.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”