taranis battery

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
gorsepig007

taranis battery

Post by gorsepig007 »

i have changed my tx battery to lipo and it works fine but wondering if that is the better choice or should i use liFe or just stick with origanal any thoughts?

janekx

Re: taranis battery

Post by janekx »

I use life 1500mAh fits well and is safer then lipo...

Odesláno z mého GT-I9300 pomocí Tapatalk 4
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

6 NiMh 2400mah LSD and I can charge them inside the radio without any mods...
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Romolo wrote:6 NiMh 2400mah LSD and I can charge them inside the radio without any mods...
+1
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Another with six NiMH. I made a pack from Eneloop cells.

wrenow

Post by wrenow »

I understand, an Eneloop set with 6AAs will be sent out by FRSky soon. So the best options, IMHO, are to build a pack with 6 AA Eneloops yourself that match the format of the original, or wait a week or so and buy them already made when they become more widely available (unless you are near T-9, then buy now).

I am patient enough to wait until they are ready, and don't have the time and energy to roll my own right now.

Cheers,

Wreno
GeoffSleath

Post by GeoffSleath »

gorsepig007 wrote:i have changed my tx battery to lipo and it works fine but wondering if that is the better choice or should i use liFe or just stick with original any thoughts?
What LiPo? I got a 3S 2500 mAh LiPo from HK which fits easily in the battery bay but in the end I chickened out of using it and I've made up a 6 cell NiMh 'Instant' (similar to Eneloop) 2500 MAh pack with cells from Vapextech and that seems to working OK. My transmitter has had a lot of 'On' time during my learning phase and none as yet at the field, partly because I've been ill the last few days.

I've made an adapter lead from the JST to a male servo connector (I call them male but for some reason others call them female despite the fact they have pins :) ). I'll charge outside the transmitter using a decent fast charger (Graupner Ultramat 16) rather than trust the built in one after my recent travails :)

Geoff
gorsepig007

Post by gorsepig007 »

oh i got a 3s 2200 tx 8c from bang good just cut one of the three power choices end and resoldered on the nimh connector that came with nimh pack http//:youtu.be/j2btOoqZwYw[/BBvideo]look at dwexoticmaple YouTube you sholud see vid will try to post link tomorrow
Last edited by gorsepig007 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
GeoffSleath

Post by GeoffSleath »

Thanks. I was just wondering if you'd gone to a 2S LiPo. Unfortunately your video won't play for me and just returns the message that it's 'Private'. Didn't know there was an option fr YouTube videos to be private.

Geoff
gorsepig007

Post by gorsepig007 »

http://youtu.be/j2btOoqZwYw[/bbvideo] Sorry second link should work its public :D

O
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

I also went for a 3s 2200 lipo, and I set the low voltage warning to 9.3v, Given that the Tx should still be working at 6v, loosing a model from low battery in the Tx should never happen (I hope)
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

rcgyuk wrote:I also went for a 3s 2200 lipo, and I set the low voltage warning to 9.3v
IMO If the alarm should ever go off at that setting, you may as well put the Lipo in the bin. That voltage is fine (well almost) if the battery was under a load of ten Amps or so, but that isn't the case with this TX. Personally I would aim at a minimum voltage alarm of eleven Volts.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

well spotted Flaps30 ;)

For a 3 celll LiPo i would set the alarm at something like 10.5V. Some people even suggest a higher voltage like 11.1V as the tx takes very low current..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

taranis battery

Post by Daedalus66 »

A voltage of 9.3 is FAR too low for a 3s LiPo. That may pretty much destroy the battery.

A resting voltage of 3.5 or 3.6 per cell is as low as it should go (10.5 or 10.8 for 3s). I would set it at 11.0, which corresponds to about 10% of capacity left.

Don't confuse resting voltage (which is essentially what we are dealing with in low drain situations like this) with voltage under heavy load (driving a motor). ESCs may be set at 3.0 or 3.2 per cell for LVC, but the voltage they are measuring can be depressed 0.5v under load.

By the way, the 6v number is irrelevant in such a situation. If you ever get down to 9.3v the battery will be on such a steep downward path that you will only have seconds left to land.

EDIT: Nice to see consensus :)
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

rcgyuk wrote:I also went for a 3s 2200 lipo, and I set the low voltage warning to 9.3v, Given that the Tx should still be working at 6v, loosing a model from low battery in the Tx should never happen (I hope)
Please have a look to this graph for 0.5 c:
discharge_curves_1.jpg
At 3.1v the battery is almost dead...the voltage drop vs capacity used is huge.
you are using the battery at 0.1C setting 9.3V is indeed too low.
a good point as already suggested is between 3.7 and 3.6V per cell.
11V is indeed a good suggestion, you will probably have 10% left, that means, at 200mA consumpion, 60 minutes of usage with your battery.
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Thanks for all the info, you learn something new every day !!!
Imho

Post by Imho »

This is the battery I bought for the Taranis: Turnigy 2650mAh 3S 1C LLF Tx Pack (Futaba/JR)
gorsepig007

Post by gorsepig007 »

true i set mine at 11 too just to make sure
gorsepig007

Post by gorsepig007 »

hmmm after some research and advice im changing to liFe battery now only cause way less hassle and peace of mind cheers everyone

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”