T9X mod to use Flysky module, Frysky module and DSMX module

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
kaos

Re: T9X mod to use Flysky module, Frysky module and DSMX mod

Post by kaos »

kilrah, you need to update your pic with the 3.3 v reg. ;)

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

So? Is the 5 volt reg replaced with a 3.3 or does it feed a 3.3 v reg?
I see in wiki a 914 diode is used. I have those and Schottky diodes?
Thanks

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
kaos

Post by kaos »

this is the last one I saw from Kilrah: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=541&start=60 (that was a fun thread too ;) )
and that is how I made mine. it is a 3.3 v reg from the DX4e.

I think wiki has a pic too. can't find it now.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I did the mods to a module. Time ran pit but I did get it to bind to a 6200 RX.
It took 5 tries but finally did and I had control of my servos. This was with the binding plug in the 6200. I toved it, recycled tx and RX power and had no control? I repeated this a few more times and it was hit and miss binding. Only OK with the bind plug connected.
Had to go to a family event after that do I'll try again when I get home. Any ideas on what's going on?
I measured the DC going to the Spektrum tx circuit in the 9x module and it's 3.3v. I'll check the ppm input. Are there any posted waveforms for the dsm2 the 9x protocol and bind signal the open9x puts out when selected in the page 2 menu?
Work in progress but I did see it work so I'm hopeful it's an easy fix.

ShowMaster
kaos

Post by kaos »

I did notice it takes a 'long' time for the rx binding to be complete. if you release the TRN switch a bit early, strange things happens. Don't know whether this is your problem. I don't think I have any module/rx takes as long as the spectrum (or this modded) module takes.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok knowing It can take s long time to bind helps. What is strange is after I do bind and turn off the tx and the rx and removing the bind and rr powering I don't have any link. Or maybe I do snd have to edit a really long time for ghe link to establish?
Anyone have a time frame to wait before thinking there's trouble?
I could use a step by step how to just in case I'm missing a step?

About the 3.3v regulator. I'm using the schematic posted in wiki. I'm also using the great pictures posted here. I'm using the 9x module 5 volt reg to feed a 3.3v 220 case regulator for my 3.3v. I'm using a schottky diode instead of the 1n914 diode and a 1/8 watt 4k7 resistor. The largest cap value I had on hand was a 47ufd cap so that's on the output of the 3.3v regulator lead.
Does all this seem ball park enough to be OK?
More testing in the morning to sort this all put.

ShowMaster
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

I also put pretty detailed pictures in the Wiki doc I did: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Mod_DSM2/X
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

mbanzi wrote:I also put pretty detailed pictures in the Wiki doc I did: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Mod_DSM2/X
Is the 220ufd cap required to be that large of a value? I'll buy one and replace the 47ufd I used if so. I wanted to leave the dx4 intact as much as possable.
Thanks
SM
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

ShowMaster wrote:Is the 220ufd cap required to be that large of a value? I'll buy one and replace the 47ufd I used if so. I wanted to leave the dx4 intact as much as possable.
I believe the big cap helps with preventing brownouts on the DSM module - I certainly have never experienced one in several hours of flying it. You could try the 47uF, and then switch over to a 220uF if your transmitter reboots.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'll put a 220ufd in the circuit just to be safe. Thanks
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

I am new to this forum, and was wondering if this question might have been answered someplace else, or if someone here might know the answer.

I would like to use the DSMX module from a dx4e, and put it in a 'generic' JR module case (such as the one below) using a 3.3v bec for power and not use a flysky module for power etc.

Can the power for the ubec be taken from the back of the transmitter?

So assuming I have a geneneric 5 pin connector attached to the back of the transmitter, does anyone know how or if this could be connected to work? I don't know enough about the JR module workings to understand if there was a critical circuit or something else besides the power regulator being used on the flysky module.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There's nothing special in the module. You can just do this, but put it in the module case instead of wiring it in the radio.

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... M_protocol
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

[quote="EjectSteve"]I am new to this forum, and was wondering if this question might have been answered someplace else, or if someone here might know the answer.

I would like to use the DSMX module from a dx4e, and put it in a 'generic' JR module case (such as the one below) using a 3.3v bec for power and not use a flysky module for power etc.

Can the power for the ubec be taken from the back of the transmitter?

It's a little tight, but you can stuff everything into a module case. Be aware that pin 2 is GND not 6VDC (at least on mine.)
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Be aware that pin 2 and 4 are GND not 6VDC on pin 2 (at least on my 9x.)
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

Can I get power for the ubec from pins 2 and 4 on the Radio's JR connectors?

Connect the 3.3v from the ubec output to pins 1 and 2 on the dsm module with resistor...

Where does pin 6 on the DSM module connect, Pin 1 on the Radio JR connector? With Diode?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Pin 2 is ground on the 9x, so you need to power with pin 3 (battery power). You do want to do that for a 9x, right?
Signal is pin 1 yes, and the diode is needed.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

This will eventually be for the Taranis radio. When we know more about the radio, I'll have to be sure which pin is the ground on it's JR connector. I guess it will be pins 2 or 4. Thank you for your help.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK. Ground is always pin 4.
Pins 2 and 5 are accessory signals. Ideally you'll leave them floating, but they would resist being grounded if you couldn't avoid it.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

Does this look right? If not, can someone help me correct it?

Thanks
Attachments
JRModule.jpg
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

I’m not sure if anyone is still following this old thread (or if this is the right forum?), but I built the module based on my schematic above and it seems to work in my friend’s 9x radio running er9x. I didn’t have a chance to fly, but the receiver bound and I tested it at about 150 yards. I’m not sure this means it’s ok, but it may be a while before I can do more testing. Either a Taranis supporting dsm2/x or my own 9x.

The 5 pin connector has to be cut down a bit for the case to close. I put 5 pin connector in the case with hot melt glue and used a servo connector as a spacer between the module wall and the 5 pin connector.
Attachments
JRModule.jpg
dsmxmodule.jpg
Last edited by EjectSteve on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good work. Let us know how the test flights go.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

I have flown about a dozen times with my friend's 9x and this dsmx module using an OrangeRX receiver and it has been working without any problems. It was a small plane, so it was probably only 200 yards away but I think that wraps up the project for me until I get my 9x or Taranis. (If/when Taranis supports dsm2/x.)
juhis

Post by juhis »

Kilrah wrote:All 2.4GHz modules can use the same antenna type, BUT you can't connect one antenna to more than one module at a time. Which is why those who run multiple modules usually have one for each, as otherwise they'd have to move the antenna from one module to the other.

For example if you install both a DSM module and an frsky module, you'll have 2 antenna connectors, one for each. Either you unscrew the antenna and put it on the other connector everytime you change the module you use, or you just leave one on each to save the hassle.
Hello,

I'm thinking of moding my 9x with the FrSky DHT DIY module inside the transmitter and I'd also like keep and be able to use my original V2 module with my old receivers. I'm gonna set it up so that I can choose which radio is powered up with a switch. Can I not solder the antenna coax wire of the original module to FrSky connector base and use that antenna with both of the radios? Only the power up radio would be using the antenna at any given time, but is it a problem there's another cold radio connected? Could that connection be cut with a switch?

Thanks in advance,

Juhis
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No, on 2,4Ghz you can't connect the same antenna to both RF modules and you can't switch the antenna. Each module must have it's own antenna..
What you can do is remove the stock module's antenna from the radio desoldering it from the module. Then glue it to the module's cover and solder it to the module's PCB again...
Then place the DHT DiY antenna where the stock one used to be..
You will have to switch power and PPM signal. Only one module at the time will have the power and PPM signal..
DON'T SHARE ANTENNAS.
Ah, and don't power the modules without antenna connected. It can damage them ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
juhis

Post by juhis »

Ok, damn. The thing is, I'll be mostly flying with the FrSky module, but occasionally would like to use the original module. A glued antenna in the module seem cumbersome for such a use case. Would it then be possible to find and connect another antenna connector, same as the FrSky antenna uses, to the back of the original module. And switch the FrSky antenna from the transmitter to the back of the original module (screw it in the new connector), when using the original module? I understand the possibility of damaging the modules if care is not taken, but even so, this seems like a better solution for my usage scenario.

br, Juhis
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That should be possible as long as you find a connector with the coax cable.. Remember not to power either module without antenna..
Or you could get another frsky antenna.. they are quite cheap..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

juhis wrote: Would it then be possible to find and connect another antenna connector, same as the FrSky antenna uses, to the back of the original module. And switch the FrSky antenna from the transmitter to the back of the original module (screw it in the new connector), when using the original module? I understand the possibility of damaging the modules if care is not taken, but even so, this seems like a better solution for my usage scenario.
You can do it either this way: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... ock+module
just leave the DHT ant at the top.

or get an ant like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281012517965?ss ... 1423.l2649
cut the other end off keep the sma connector and solder the core and shielding wire mesh to the stock module board.
you can just swap the DHT ant to the stock module on the back. but I would rather just get a 2.4 GHz ant and put it on the stock module and don't worry about swapping ant.
juhis

Post by juhis »

Hello,

I'm actually thinking of the option 2 you mentioned, since I'd really like the second antenna to be removable. And I already ordered a connector, but now I'm not sure if I ordered a wrong one. This is what I got, since I thought I'd need a RP-SMA connector, but the one you linked is a normal SMA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160763279737

If you have a frsky antenna, could you please double check. If I need to order a new connector, I think I'm still gonna go with a right angled version, I think it'd fit better, probably the connector being vertically oriented.

br, juhis
kaos

Post by kaos »

What you have works just the same, only the wire is thicker so it may be harder to put it in the module box. leave a longer length so the wire can bent /twisted in the box without too much strain on the solder joints. I don't think a 90 degree sma makes any difference. your antenna should have a joint you can bend it 90 degree after you screw it on the sma. in option1, after the ant is placed, when in use I bend it 90 degree up. ;)

the advantage of option1 is that saves a sma connector so you have more gain on the antenna. each time you add a connector in between you lose some gain.
juhis

Post by juhis »

The thing is, the connector in my link (the cable that I ordered) is different from your link. The cable in your link has a traditional SMA connector, whereas the cable that I ordered has a RP-SMA (aka reverse SMA) connector. Which one is correct, I don't know yet, since my module is still on the slow boat.

Return to “Electronic Mods”