Towerpro Servo Jitters

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
thomas9x

Re: Towerpro Servo Jitters

Post by thomas9x »

My first introduction to RC was in seeing a German RC system, where the RX was one module with another module stacked on top. I do recall seeing that the RF IF section had a Valvo OC45 in place. I wish I could remember what the name of this system ...
That sounds like an early Variophone system by Graupner / Grundig. On some versions the receiver's modules were color coded and stacked together. For example, if you needed to add another servo a corresponding tone decoder module could be purchased to do that. I never saw anyone fly with one here in the USA but their stuff looked cool in B/W magazine photos. This catalog page shows some examples:
Graupner_Variophone.jpg
BTW, you can see "sticks" on the transmitters. But those are just toggle switches since these things were not proportional. Proportional control is for weenies. :)

- Thomas

Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Did any of you builld Ed Thomson Digitrios or Classics?
I built a few. They were great with the Bonner linear servos.
The Orbit PS2 sevos caused me a lot of problems with progressive twitching leading to flat batteries!
Funny how things turn full circle, the exact same thing happens if I try to use
an Ar8000x Spektrum receiver with more than 6 servos :roll:
How we needed a Mikeb in 1965 :P :P

Clive
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Clivew wrote:Did any of you builld Ed Thomson Digitrios or Classics?
I built a few. They were great with the Bonner linear servos.
The Orbit PS2 sevos caused me a lot of problems with progressive twitching leading to flat batteries!
Funny how things turn full circle, the exact same thing happens if I try to use
an Ar8000x Spektrum receiver with more than 6 servos :roll:
How we needed a Mikeb in 1965 :P :P

Clive
Yes I built them all. They all worked but being on 27Mhz got killed by cb. I used them in boats and rc cars. I bought a Kraft on 72 Mhz and gave them away. It was fun building them and I enjoyed that part. I built all the servos for each system.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Thank you Thomas. Yes that was the system that I was thinking about.. I will have to search around for more information on it and when it was in production.

Back to the jitters. :)

Today a parcel arrived at my door that had a few servos in it.. First to get a look at was the Corona DS-939MG Digital Servo. Opening up the case showed a board that looked reasonable as to the soldering. The cable clamping system seemed to work in a sort of way. Overall the electronics side and how the board was located and wired up, was a lot better than the Towerpro MG90S servos. What was rather strange was the fact that Corona has used a resin/plastic gear as the first gear wheel from the motor pinion gear, unlike Towerpro that have an all metal gear train.

Next on the list was the Corona CS-929MG. This was virtually the same as the DS-939MG apart from the servo electronics board. This had the same chip (KC2462) as the Towerpro MG90S servos. So I was starting to get a little concerned as to how this servo would perform with regards to any jitter. I found a solder joint on one motor tag to be lacking somewhat in solder. There was a very small bit there that looked like it would fall apart with time/vibration, so a quick touch up with some solder was needed. The gear arrangement was the same as the DS-939MG.

Both servos were tested on the bench with a variable power supply between 4.8 and 6 Volts. The DS-939MG passed the rudder stick flick test without any problems at all voltages.. Nice! :) The CS-929MG wasn't as good, as that did show some tendency to jittering at all voltages used. Certainly it wasn't as bad as the MG90S's but it was there. Further checks were done and it was found that under a slight damping load, that it worked fairly well. So In am happy to use this servo in most situations. The DS-939MG Digital servo would be my servo of choice of course. :)

I do wonder if Towerpro have tightened up the deadband so much that the servo will hunt all the time, or if they have cut down the component count, that included any capacitor or resistor that helped the servo avoid this problem. Up until now I cannot find much information on the KC2462 to see what is in the circuitry that could explain what is going on.. In mentioning Towerpro I am assuming that what I have is rip off cheapo copies of the real things, as my past experience (two years back when I bought the last good batch) of Towerpro servos was a positive one.
kaos

Post by kaos »

oops! I guess I forgot to mention that one plastic gear. It has been a while since I opened up the case of these servos. But I recall only had one stripped gear and one broken motor out of the DS939/929/919 which was after horrific crashes that totaled my heli. The others the case will break before that plastic gear get stripped. But these are good for my planes without flanges. ;)
I doubt it will have any problem on the planes.
and yes, since I started using DS939, those are the only servo I use for any new application within that spec. Still have 4 in the box for spares. ;)
Do you have a way to actually check the torque and spd they claim?

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

kaos wrote:Do you have a way to actually check the torque and spd they claim?
Err nope. I only do the 'fairy' electrics stuff. Speed and torque stuff I leave to you boys. :D
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I have several Dr Servo analyzers I bought by mistake. Watching the utube videos on using it it seems pretty good for analyzing servo speeds at 5&6 volts.
Maybe I only need one? Humm
kaos

Post by kaos »

Flaps 30 wrote:Err nope. I only do the 'fairy' electrics stuff. Speed and torque stuff I leave to you boys. :D
Here is a fairy electric project for you. Hook up your high precision crystal clock with on/off contact attached to the servo arm, program your tx with a switch and set the arm at 0 degree and the limit at 60 degree. with the flip of a switch it goes from 0 to 60 degree while the contact on servo arm will engage/disengage the clock crystal then you have a perfect time for 60 degree rotation. then check with different voltage supply. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”