permanent change is here to stay !

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Irish Steve

permanent change is here to stay !

Post by Irish Steve »

Hi Folks,

HELP!

Been out of the RC loop for a few months, and have to pick up the pieces again. Looks like there have been some pretty big changes around the place, both here and in the hobby,

So, to save me having to go and try to make sense of it all, and reading a whole load of threads that I probably won't be able to make sense of, what's the "preferred" 9X and Sky9X software these days, I'm more than a little out of my depth right now, and it doesn't look like it's going to get any easier for a while

Thanks

Steve
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: permanent change is here to stay !

Post by Rob Thomson »

Well... Really personal choice.

Er9x or opentx.

You do of course now have the Frsky Taranis in the mix :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

Rob,
Thanks, ER9X I was following for a while, OpenTX is new to me, so I guess I have some reading to do! The FRSky Taranis is a whole new ball game to look at, though that might be a while, as we've several 9X's between us, and a couple of Sky9X's to install as well.

All I need now is for the wind to drop a little, and I might be able to do something with a model for a while, which will be a nice change.

Cheers

Steve
Irish Steve

_
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Well... Take up slope soaring. Then you can fly when the wind is up :)

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

That or add one of the various gyro flight stabilizers on the market. They seem to be very populate at several fields I fly at that have winds 10+ mph with gusts. Pretty regulator winds every day so you learn to deal with it or watch after 11a to 5P.
Worth trying, HK has an inexpensive one that can be switched on and ok. More expensive ones as well. They do work it set properly.
I teach RC flying on club trainers and hope to install one soon as a teaching aid.
SM

Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

Slope soaring not easy here, no slopes worth the name within 20 miles, and the one decent area (Howth Head) is very close to the approach pattern and ILS of Dublin Airport, so not ideal.

I have a very old Graupner Cirrus that would be ideal for that, but the main plan right now is to get some other Graupner models in the air properly, between myself and a friend, we have 4 (yes, that's not a typo, 4) old Graupner Bell 212's that are a project to get in the air, one has been converted to Electric power, and flown after major repairs, but is not allowed to crash again, as it has significant sentimental value, so only hovered in ground effect for safety, one of mine has never been flown or had radio gear fitted, another is pretty much ready to fly, and the fourth we don't know yet, as it has to be collected from the UK soon. They need a LOT of space, the rotor span is close to 1.6 Mtrs, so care on where they fly is imperative.

We've also a couple of Trex 500's being used for training, a Bixler 2 for some fun, and some ideas for some fixed wing scale models that are slightly scary ;) ;)

4 9x's, two to be fitted with Sky9X boards, and some Flysky telemetry gear to play with, among other things, so plenty to keep us occupied, and I'm going to do some "playing" with Arduino boards soon, and some of the autopilot gear that's coming on stream.

Let the fun begin!

Cheers

Steve
Irish Steve

_
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

20 miles? That is close!

I travel a minimum of 40 minutes to get to a decent slope. And that one only supports due south!

The rest... 50 to 90 minutes .

:mrgreen:

Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

Rob,

To get a viable slope here is probably about the same, 20 miles is 40 minute (lot of it urban, so SLOW) and it's not really usable due to low and frequent air traffic. Nearest that is going to be viable (only northerly so rare) is the Wicklow mountains 30 or so miles, and a west ( or East given present weather) is further in both time and distance. For now, the heli's are the main interest, simply because they are a significant challenge. For immediate use, a very lonely and deserted field is the bet bet while we iron out the wrinkles, spectators are bad news with a machine this large, even club fliers are sometimes somewhat careless about how close they get to spinning rotors, and these Bell things are BIG!

Full gyros for stabilisation for the Bells will be very much an option, due to their age, but we'll have to work out the settings on the Trex first, they will be easier to use for that. For sure it's going to get exciting.

Cheers

Steve
Irish Steve

_
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Hmm.. Southerly winds.. That has to be Butser or Devils Dyke... Tons of hills around Marlborough way :)

Steve - Seems like the commercial air traffic is a problem with you. Where does the restricted (class A or ATZ) airspace start with regards to your flying site? If you are in the clear, you could always go for a nice glider with a motor up front to haul it up. :)

I hope you don't suffer the same fate as the recent fatal concerning a Swiss flyer and his RC helicopter. Flying alone isn't a good idea or safe.
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

Saw the article about the Swiss flyer, I wont be flying solo, and that's one of the reasons, but we are keen to keep these Bells out of harm's way and where they can't do damage until WE know what we're doing with them.

Yeah, home for me is 7 miles from the airport, directly under the low level VFR corridor, and the class A space is about 15 miles diameter so avoiding it gets to be a nuisance. There is one flying area in Dublin that is recognised in the Class A space, but it's in a very large public park and as a result, something out of the ordinary, (and the Bell's are definitely in that category) tends to attract an audience, which we're not keen on at this stage.

I can still remember many years ago slope soaring on the western edge of the Blackdown hills in Somerset, (before we moved to Ireland) and hearing a very loud jet noise at one stage, I looked down the slope, to see an RAF Vulcan flying down the valley below me, about half a mile away and 300 Ft below me.

For slope soaring, the Wicklow hills are the best bet, but that's an hour's driving at least, and with the Easterlies being so prevalent at the moment, that makes things tricky, as most of the slopes will be towards water, which I don't altogether like, at least if it crashes on land, there's a chance to recover something, if it goes swimming, that makes recovery a challenge!
Irish Steve

_
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Flaps30, what happened? :o
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/dea ... r-accident

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”