er9x with V959 quadcopter

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
hart

er9x with V959 quadcopter

Post by hart »

I'm a mode 1 junkie from way back and I've just taken delivery of a WLtoys V959 quadcopter - a very fun toy but sadly the only stock I could get was mode 2. I'd like to get the V959 working with er9x and to that end I did some searching and found the attached example model file for er9x.

I loaded it up as my second model on the 9x and bound the radio to the quad (somehow, it just kinda worked - I'm a bit of a noob).

When I power up the quad and then the (calibrated) radio, which is setup for mode 1 (RETA) by default, the throttle is tied to the left stick - I'm a complete newbie at this so I was hoping someone with experience with these things could guide me towards editing this model file to work with a mode 1 9x?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
V-949.eepm
V949 eepm
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 624 times

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: er9x with V959 quadcopter

Post by MikeB »

Can you post your entire EEPROM file. The general settings inclue the mode and default channel order, and these are neede to check your model setup.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Umm... Your transmitter was bought set up for mode 2... So have you physically changed it to mode 1 since you got it?

If you go to page 1 of the radio setup. You can change the mode to whatever you like.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Between mode 1 and mode 2 just the elevator and throttle switch places. On the 9x changing the mode only changes the labels, it won't move the mixes around for you. Go through the mixer and change THR to ELE, and ELE to THR, on channels 2 and 3. Make sure in your radio general settings that you have you mode correctly set. From the home screen; long press left; then press up once to skip to the bottom of the page, there you will find the radio mode selection.

Flaps,
His 9x is a mode 1. The v959 he bought comes with a remote, he could only get a mode 2 though.
-Gohst

Edit: fixed version of your model file. I removed the -80 expo you had on the aileron, I didn't think that could be right.
Attachments
V-949.eepm
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
hart

Post by hart »

attached. Just getting started - so the rest of the settings are fairly basic. but it is calibrated.
Attachments
v959.eepe
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 606 times

hart

Post by hart »

gohsthb wrote:Between mode 1 and mode 2 just the elevator and throttle switch places. On the 9x changing the mode only changes the labels, it won't move the mixes around for you. Go through the mixer and change THR to ELE, and ELE to THR, on channels 2 and 3. Make sure in your radio general settings that you have you mode correctly set. From the home screen; long press left; then press up once to skip to the bottom of the page, there you will find the radio mode selection.

Flaps,
His 9x is a mode 1. The v959 he bought comes with a remote, he could only get a mode 2 though.
-Gohst

Edit: fixed version of your model file. I removed the -80 expo you had on the aileron, I didn't think that could be right.
well that was terrifying :-)

The throttle is now in the right place - thanks! I'm not used to having the roll on the same stick as the throttle - the v959 tx (mode 2) has:

left stick: throttle/yaw - right stick: roll/pitch

I was kind of expecting mode 1 to be:

left stick: roll/pitch - right stick: throttle/yaw

but that's not what a plane normally has - having never flown heli before, I'm not sure what is "normal" either :-)

I think the -80 expo is required because of the way it does the rates (40/60/80) on the aux3/f mode switch - or possibly some other reason - I a noob, remember ;-) I had to add a huge amount of left roll trim to keep it somewhat level...

Cheers & thanks! Would love a screenshot to understand how you swapped those around?

Leigh
hart

Post by hart »

the other wierd thing that happens is when the v959 binds to the TX, it immediately goes to full throttle - and then pulls back to zero (even though the sticks were back)... eeeowch.
LaurieC

Post by LaurieC »

hart wrote:the other wierd thing that happens is when the v959 binds to the TX, it immediately goes to full throttle - and then pulls back to zero (even though the sticks were back)... eeeowch.
That is normal. You get used to putting your thumb on the canopy for the moment when it goes to full throttle. Consider it as a signal that the bind has been successful!

I am a Mode 1 flyer with a V959 as well. Recently WLToys have come out with a Mode 1 version of it. The Mode 1 Tx is available separately from Banggood.com as SKU072662. The advantage of this is that you can operate the lights and the camera (and other V959 modules) from the Tx, which you can't do with the Turnigy 9X.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Allow me to disagree.. no model should start at full throttle. specially the ones that can jump up to your face and stick a propeller right into your eyes :o
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

hart wrote:the other wierd thing that happens is when the v959 binds to the TX, it immediately goes to full throttle - and then pulls back to zero (even though the sticks were back)... eeeowch.
The .eepm you adopted is a messy way to set up for the quad. One of the problems is that the sticky throttle cut is not enabled as the ch14 mix is not used as a mix on your throttle output channel 2. Using the throttle cut should prevent the momentary power up at startup. You do have your transmitter turned on and set for the v959 prior to powering up the quad I hope.

I have attached the .eepm for my v929 that you might want to consider. Mind you, I fly mode 2 so you would have to move some mixes for your mode 1. I have found that rates of 25/60/100 work very well for indoor/outdoor/flip enabled flight. I split my rates between the elevator and rudder switches but selecting the 3pos switch is easy enough to change.

Ted
Attachments
Quad V929.eepm
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
hart

Post by hart »

G'day Ted,

Thanks for that - at some stage I must have done some tinkering as last time I tried it a few weeks ago with the 9x, I was able to fly the 959 quite OK with it. But to be honest, I'm used to flying it mode 2 now, while still flying mode 1 for my planes. I'm going to be really confused in a week or two when I finish building my T-Copter!!!
LaurieC

Post by LaurieC »

jhsa wrote:Allow me to disagree.. no model should start at full throttle. specially the ones that can jump up to your face and stick a propeller right into your eyes :o
I'm sorry, I should have qualified this. What I mean is, this quadcopter, when binding with the Turnigy 9X, always exhibits this behaviour. It doesn't when you use its native transmitter.

Other cheap 9X compatible micro quadcopters such as the VItality H36 and the WLToys V939 do the same thing when binding with the 9X. I agree, it's not desirable, and can even be dangerous, but that's the way it happens. Not a problem if you're prepared for it.
Last edited by LaurieC on Fri May 10, 2013 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think that is a problem with the new(ish) version of the stock 9x RF module..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Hmmm... I have a newer 9x and do not experience that with either my v929 or v911.

Ted
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

G550Ted wrote:Hmmm... I have a newer 9x and do not experience that with either my v929 or v911.

Ted
It doesn't happen with the V929, as that retains the bind to the Turnigy/FlySky module. The V939 (and some others) have to be rebound every time you turn it on. If you have the splash screen turned on, or have a switch in the wrong position, it will turn on at full throttle and keep spinning! When I have my splash screen turned on, I immediately click any button to close it, that way the props only spin up for a moment.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

that's because the turnigy module is sending full throtle when there is no signal on power on.. crazy :o

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Mid throttle actually.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Probably enough for it to jump to one's face

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
hart

Post by hart »

Yeah v959 mine still does that when I try to bind/fly with the 9x - tbh, I don't bother much any more - I only play with it once every couple of weeks and my brain seems OK with flipping to mode 2 with it :-)
kaos

Post by kaos »

I am flying v959 with T9X, i don't have a problem of throttle up on initial start. Never had since the 1st time I use T9X to fly V959. The only thing is I can't flip the quad and can't turn on the vid or led with T9X. The V959 actually flies like a dream with T9X.
I am still waiting TH9xer to finish the board for turning on led/vid or flip. ;)

I wonder if that has anything to do with the binding process. Did you bind it then power off both Tx and v959 then restart?
This is what I did, power up v959 (while get T9x handy at hand) then immediately turn on the T9X in bind mode. once bond, turn both power off. then just fly normally , turn Tx on 1st, then power up v959. I switch between T9X and stock (when i fly at night or want to make vid) with v959.
my understanding is v959 or similar micros, they remember the last bind module, but if they don't find the previous bind mdoule signal they goes into bind mode again. and this period of time is very quick.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It rather has to do with the newer flysky modules that send servo centers when they don't receive an input signal. You likely have an older one that didn't have that problem.
kaos

Post by kaos »

I am using a stock Flysky removable module with v959. that one was sent to me by Ghosthb for the casing to convert to a DSMX module,
it has a longer range than my Turnigy module converted from my Turnigy T9x so I kept it and use it for all my Flysky rx. ;) (tested by microwave oven ;) ) I think it may be considered 'old module'.

I now have an extra Turnigy converted removable module I will try next time to see if the throttle up will occur.

How new is considered 'new module' ?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm approx 4-5 months ago... Might be able to find the discussion thread that started about the issue when it first appeared.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9505 avec Tapatalk
kaos

Post by kaos »

well then, mines are all older than 1-2 yr.
poax

Post by poax »

How to set the camera switch v959
emmanuel18

Post by emmanuel18 »

Hello guys!

I wish to work with 2 cameras so that I can apply stereo vision (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_stereo_vision)

Can I attach the other camera to the missile port for example or I can merely tap the wires for parallel connection of the two cameras. So that if i trigger the camera switch, both cameras will start recording.

Thank you.
Please help me.
groncho

Post by groncho »

Can anyone explain the bind procedure with the v959? I have a FrSKY taranis and FlySky module. Looking at your EEPROMs I am using the same PPM settings, although the taranis shows a + or - after the delay? I'm not sure what that refers to.

My process is to plug in the v959, the light on it will blink quickly and then turn to slow blinks pretty quickly.
I then hold down the bind button on my module and switch on the TX. I wait a little bit (the blinking led on the quad never changes) and power cycle both (without holding the bind button on the TX). Nothing happens.

Can you guys also explain channels 5-8 and channel 14. Also how is there 14 channels if the first page only has 8?

Thanks for the help, this is the first quad / RC I own.

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”