Help identifying correct charge plug - LIFE batt

Want to get your own 9x? Don't know where to buy one? Looking for spares?
Redbrickman

Help identifying correct charge plug - LIFE batt

Post by Redbrickman »

I want to make up a new charging lead for the 9x to charge the LIFE 1500 battery (HK model).

I plan to use a PS2 and balance lead adapter as others have done on the forum, but want to known can I charge via the smaller two pin plug on the battery (not the larger output lead that connects to the 9X board)?

If it can be used can anyone tell me what I need to order as there are so many different connectors that look like it :(

Just to be clear in the image below it's the white connector that is beside the plug that connects into the 9x motherboard.
Attachments
HK.1500.TX.L.jpg
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!

ShowMaster

Re: Help identifying correct charge plug - LIFE batt

Post by ShowMaster »

What I do...

You can actually charge using any of those connectors. Yes, use the large black type 3 pin with 2 wires for going into your 9x to power it. Better yet make an adapter out of the original 3 pin plastic battery holder and add a matching servo type connector you can plug the black one into.
Be very careful with polarity when you wire it. Just cut the black tab off or use a Futaba type servo connector. Then you can also charge with it if you decide to.
Why I don't plug the black connector in my 9x directly even though it fits and is polarized OK is because it sticks out of the 9x connector a lot and can be in the way or come lose.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364595617.230281.jpg
Next, I replace the 2 pin white plug with an orange JST type connector again keeping the normal polarity used for + and - . I then can charge using that connector and don't have to unplug the black one the adapter for the 9x. Finally you'll want to use the white 4 wire connector for balance charging. Some chargers actually use only this connector for charging but most require it and one set of red and black wires on the other connectors. I usually don't charge my life battery in my tx but what I do is open the battery box and pull the battery out far enough to get it away from the tx. I then use the JST connector I added and the balance connector to charge or mostly just the JST. You can remove the battery by unplugging the black connector and leaving the adapter in your 9x and it's any of the connector combinations that work for you for even a safety charge setup. I avoid unplugging and re-pluging
The connector that goes into the actual 9x board to avoid wearing out or damaging the connector over time.
Charging with the battery in your 9x is the least safest even though the life has a less chance of fire, it could puff and do damage to the case so I don't do it!
Unplugging from your tx is the safest with at least pulling the life out of the case connected is next safest.

DON'T even think about using the life's 2 pin white plug into your 9x 3 pin connector! The 9x 3 pin is + on the center pin and -(ground) on both outside pins ( connected on the circuit board).
Of you plug the 2 pin shifted to one side of center the polarity is IK, shifted to the other side and you've reversed polarity and you'll fry your 9x when the switch is turned ON!
It's done all the time and it's a ticking time bomb. I've repaired several for friends that fried their radios a few days after being brand new after using the 2 pin white plug.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
kaos

Post by kaos »

you can use any two pin connector for charging leads. whatever you have on hand would be fine. if you have already some servo connector (mail, female), it will do just fine. I actually just used two single servo pin plug into the LiFe two wire charging leads and shrink wrapped them.
Just make sure you have all the wires to the correct polarity when you solder those wires to PS2 connector. 4 for balance plug, 2 for main charging lead.
If you want you can even split out the + and - (black and red) wire after the PS2 as 'charging' leads. Balance charge really don't use the 'main' charging lead to charge, they are just used to complete the circuit for your balance charger. The balancing plug is actually doing all the charging.
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Couldn't get a PS2 connector so opted for mini din which fitted well after enlarging the charge socket opening. Just waiting for a balance lead extension to arrive and then I'll be getting my magnifying lens set up ready to start soldering to those tiny din pins LOL.
Maintain thine airspeed.
kaos

Post by kaos »

What do you mean you can't get a ps2 connector? I just bought PS2 extension cord as cheap as i can find and dig out the connector from the rubber wrapping at the same time have 4 color 36 gauge thin wire to use for other things. ;)

Make a chart of which wire goes to which pin and keep it. Ask me how I found out I need to do that. :mrgreen:

Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

All completed. Din worked well though it was a squeeze to fit in all the cables and even more difficult to solder them :D
Maintain thine airspeed.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Great, that may be the last time you need to open your batt compartment until it catches fire during charging. :mrgreen:
Just kidding. I have not opened my batt compartment for ages. ;)
now just make a balancing plug you are all set.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you should, even if it's just to make sure your Lipo/LiFe is not puffed :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

there are more knowledgeable people to say something else. but my experience with these Lipo/LiFe is there are 2 things that cause the batt to puff:
1. you exceeds the C rating during usage. for Tx that rarely happens.
2. you run the batt below the damaging voltage - 'under load'. so calibrate your tx voltage under load (when tx is on, now it is easy to do that with your Din connector) and set your warning alarm well above the damaging voltage which for LiFe- 2.8 V/cell for LiPo: 3.2 V/cell
If you do that, you probably won't see any puffed battery until it is really old reaching its life time. (there is a limit to how many times you can recharge these, but that is a big number in the hundreds to thousand).

Return to “Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up?”