Setting up flaps on my bixler 2

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
Hoody208

Setting up flaps on my bixler 2

Post by Hoody208 »

So I'm running the turnigy 9x v2 tx and I'm installing flaps on my m new bixler 2. It comes ready for flaps and comes with a y harness which I used. However the flaps turn in opposite direction when installed. I thought I may have installed them wrong however the cut out in the wing only allows me to put the servo in one way. Flipping it over doesn't help since I would have to flip over the servo arm as well. Any way, I have to be missing something. I'd like to use the y harness since I want to use the 3 position switch on the tx. Currently I have the servos on ch 7 using mixes that were mentioned in a older thread. One correction I could make is using separate channels but I couldn't use the 3 way switch, right? If I put them on ch 6 I'm not sure which switch would control the flaps.

Any help would appreciated.

TIA,

Jason

jhsa

Re: Setting up flaps on my bixler 2

Post by jhsa »

Well it looks like it is a design mistake they've made .
Question, do you still have the stock firmware in your radio, or did you flash it with a custom firmware??
If you did, it's very easy to solve the problem..
If not, then you might have to get a servo reverser for one of the servos and then you can connect the Y lead..
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

With open source firmware just program the switch to operate one servo correctly and slave the second on another channel but reverse it.
Hoody208

Post by Hoody208 »

I am stock firmware. Don't want to say its a design flaw yet, since I'm new to all this and could be definitely doing something wrong. Pmullen, are you saying hook them up to their own channel? And then reverse? If so where do I program the flaps to? That's where I get confused in what is actually controlling the flaps. I did hook them up to one of the dials but I don't like using the dial. I think having a toggle switch would be nice.
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

As the product description on the HK website and the B2 manual say... A servo reverser is needed for the flaps...
Or digital servos from which you reprogram the direction of one. Or an analog servo in which you switched the pot cables.
But a servo reverser should be the easiest solution.

=> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

Hoody208

Post by Hoody208 »

Thank you. I obviously missed that! With learning to put this plane together and learning the TX I overlooked it. Thanks again for help. I've been learning a lot. Probably go with the reverser so I can use my 3 way switch. Just need the servo reverser and some servo extensions and I can get this plane up in the air.
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Hoody208 wrote:I am stock firmware. Don't want to say its a design flaw yet, since I'm new to all this and could be definitely doing something wrong. Pmullen, are you saying hook them up to their own channel? And then reverse? If so where do I program the flaps to? That's where I get confused in what is actually controlling the flaps. I did hook them up to one of the dials but I don't like using the dial. I think having a toggle switch would be nice.
In OpenTX or ER9x you would set up your 3 position switch on say channel 5 (one servo plugged into channel 5) and slave the other servo (on channel 6) to channel 5 but reversed. I never tried the stock software; it might be possible to do this with the stock software. In your case, a few minutes with an exacto knife and flipping one servo might be easier. Then you can run both on a single channel with a Y cable.

You can download CompanionX or eepe and play with the new firmware to try it out on your computer. There are many template available that do some really cool stuff. I did that even before I got my 9x. It convinced me to buy a 9x and a Smartieparts board once I saw what new firmware could do.
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

Hoody208 wrote:Thank you. I obviously missed that! With learning to put this plane together and learning the TX I overlooked it. Thanks again for help. I've been learning a lot. Probably go with the reverser so I can use my 3 way switch. Just need the servo reverser and some servo extensions and I can get this plane up in the air.
The reverser has a pretty long cable attached - about 30cm...
Elo

Post by Elo »

You can change the mouting of one servo so they are in the same direction, take a look here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 62&page=55
Hoody208

Post by Hoody208 »

In your case, a few minutes with an exacto knife and flipping one servo might be easier.

You're referring to what Elo wrote, remounting it in the foam?

Just might do this.
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Hoody208 wrote:In your case, a few minutes with an exacto knife and flipping one servo might be easier.

You're referring to what Elo wrote, remounting it in the foam?

Just might do this.
Yes, remount one servo so it's in the orientation as the other and use a simple Y cable.
jhova17

Post by jhova17 »

i just got my bixler2 setup i have the 9x with er9x i set up everything but the flaps i wanted to use channel 5 and 6 but i cant get them to move and i tried them on a servo tester and they work i just cant get it programmed rite i guess.when i go in channel 5 i was trying to use the three position switch to move different levels of flaps but everything i try will not move either flap i watched the videos on youtube with the 5 lessons of er9x and i did it while i watched but when he goes in channel 5 the servo atleast twitches to show its being controlled mine didnt at all and i followed every button im pretty sure any ideas ....thanks

Return to “Hardware”