FlySky 9X right gimbal problems

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
kpinnc

FlySky 9X right gimbal problems

Post by kpinnc »

My radio has no effect on full left or full down on the right stick. I don't know if this is a centering problem, or something else. Even the "DISPLAY" function shows no movement into the ranges, though the ELE section shows half deflection with the stick centered. Also, moving the right stick to the left makes the throttle engage 100%

The left stick only has about 1/3 of the range that will do anything as well. Reversing the throttle does work the opposite end of the travel on this stick though, unlike the right one. I have set my throttle curves at 0, 25, 50, 75, 100. As far as I can tell, the rudder appears to be the only gimbal that is working as it should.

I am using mode 2 (left throttle) and heli setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kilrah

Re: FlySky 9X right gimbal problems

Post by Kilrah »

Have you calibrated the sticks correctly?
If you look at the ANAS screeen, do you see consistent values for center and end points for that stick if you move it back and forth several times?
kpinnc

Post by kpinnc »

If this helps- I don't know what the ANAS screen is...

This is a stock radio. No new firmware.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Aaah, stock firmware... pretty rare around here.
Much fewer (none) diagnostic helps on there, so you might want to open the radio and try to move the stick while gently pressing on its potentiometer and looking at the display screen. If it's better, than you have a flaky pot.
kpinnc

Post by kpinnc »

I checked the pots tonight with a multimeter. Equal change in resistance both ways full deflection, and I checked the solder joints all the way to the trim tab PCBs. Everything seems to be fine.

I'm at a loss here.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Unplug and replug the connectors from the stick to the motherboard. It's posable the connections are flaky.
Make sure they snap in fully into the board connectors. Any resistance change will show up as a stick change. Also any change when you have a servo and RX on and gently push on the stick pot area as mentioned earlier.
I'm not sure about the FW you have, I think it's the stock not upgraded.

If you had the er9x or open9x firmware installed they have a diagnostic screen we use to check switches and pots.
The stock FW doesn't offer that option so you have to rely on your meter or servo movement as your best tool.

Other things.
Have you done any mods to your tx? Any unplugging of board connectors?
Also,
There have been some systems sent out by HK that have messy wiring fixes in them as well as some with serious water damage. The offer $5 for a refund!
Do you see any lose wiring, cut wiring, messy wiring, or water damage?
Please post all details involved with your tx no matter how small. We've seen so many strange issues we're real good at sorting it out if we get good input.
Pictures help also.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
kpinnc

Post by kpinnc »

Well, the Turnigy LCD backlight was installed, so the entire motherboard has been removed before I did it. The only damaged wire I found was one of the 2 backlight wires, which I re-soldered and heat shrunk just to be safe. All connectors are snug, but none of them "snap" in place. The only one I found that appeared to be not fully seated correctly was the jumper between the mother board and the right gimbal trim PCB, but it is seated correctly now.

I see no signs of damage other than that, though the ELE pot appears to have been re-soldered at some point. May be my imagination though...

Stock firmware, and radio has been reset to factory defaults. I did find the stick calibration video on Youtube, and will try that tonight to see if it even works. If not, this radio may get sold for parts and I will have learned my lesson well.

Kevin
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

There will be a logical (and simple) reason why it isn't as it should be, as there are very few components that can go wrong. So stick with it for now. Have you a multimeter?

Are you thinking of changing the software to Er9x or Open9x?

Personally I wouldn't sell the radio for spares. I would keep it for spares and buy another. But I am one of the converted. So I would say that. :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Now we're getting more facts Kevin.
So...
This was not a new tx correct?
Where did it come from? A vender or private party? Was it sold as new or used?
As for getting rid of it.
Two thoughts, one as another member just mentioned, try to fix it!
The other is if you plan to mod your own board for with a solder in programmer and telemetry mods, depending on your soldering abilities, you may want a spare motherboard and pots.

As for fixing it.
Go over the board with a magnifier and look for any solder damage or what looks like board rework.
Maybe even upgrade the FW to er9x or open9x because they have built in diagnostic screens so we can better see what's going on.
If you do plant to upgrade your system you may want the may want parts and the practice on this one.

Generally if the stick pots are actually not damaged, and the m64 is working and not bricked, you should be able to fix yours!

How are you with using a meter and reading schematics?
SM

kpinnc

Post by kpinnc »

Thanks everyone!
It's been a while, but I can fight my way through schematics. I use a Fluke multimeter every day at work.

I do have SOME good news at least. I went through the stick calibration procedure a couple times, and now my right stick shows movement in all quadrants- in the "DISPLAY" window anyway. It never did that before, so this is progress IMHO. I get full deflection in the throttle stick as well, and no more "jumpy" rudder inputs. All the ranges move smoothly and evenly- again, in the DISPLAY mode only. I will test it out tonight with servos.

And yes, this is a "second hand" Tx. I bought it from another hobbyist who never used it- other than to attempt the first model set up in it. He got another, simpler 6ch radio for free and decided this was too much to use at his (and mine, apparently) skill level. I'm beginning to think he made a good choice LOL.

Upgrades... I'm not sure what to do yet. I want this to be a good radio, but I'm new to all of this and don't want to get in over my head. I am however, open to any suggestions you all may have. Just be easy on the newbie's brain OK? I can only absorb so much at once.

I'm planning to use this radio right now as a simple 4 channel system on my two models. Both are fixed-pitch helicopters. All I need are throttle, and two servos for forward/back/left/right, and rudder for the tail. I DO NOT need any mixing on these helis. Should I still set this up for HELI mode? The swashplate mixes are throwing me for a loop!

Thanks again. Feel free to keep the suggestions going.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Sounds like it is working as it should be.. As for suggestions.. If you are already frustrated by it and you are not in the mood to go messing about with wires and the like. I would say the best you could do would be to sell it as a working transmitter, then (or before) buy a real radio that you are happy with. Finding that radio is not an easy job, as most of the ease of use comes through a well written (ideally paper) manual along with some simple logical programming functions that are intuitive.

It really is up to you.. What do you want to do? Is the radio just a small part of the hobby for you?
kpinnc

Post by kpinnc »

It really is up to you.. What do you want to do? Is the radio just a small part of the hobby for you?
Well, I'm new to the hobby. I flew real helicopters in the military, but stopped when I had kids. Thought it was a responsibility, you know?

Anyway, I got into RC planes back as a teenager briefly. Then I got out of it. Point of all of this? I love aircraft, but can't fly the real thing anymore. RC helicopters is my best "closest thing to it". I do NOT have any desire to do 3D flying, but rather would like to eventually move up to collective pitch rotorcraft and maybe even FPV one day. That's my long term plan.

Right now, I've been flying FP helicopters for several months. I very much enjoy them, and they pretty much do whatever I would want to anyway. But, at some point I will want to advance to the high-dollar toys. That is where this radio came in. It was my hope that it has the functionality and flexibility to grow as my skills (and fleet) do. The reviews about the open-source firmware made this radio very attractive to me.

The short answer is- I understand the radio I use to be the heart of the hobby. My frustration wasn't so much over the money I thought I had wasted, but rather the fact that I haven't been able to fly my newest heli for 3 weeks now. I hope that will soon change!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

kpinnc wrote:Thanks everyone!
It's been a while, but I can fight my way through schematics. I use a Fluke multimeter every day at work.

I do have SOME good news at least. I went through the stick calibration procedure a couple times, and now my right stick shows movement in all quadrants- in the "DISPLAY" window anyway. It never did that before, so this is progress IMHO. I get full deflection in the throttle stick as well, and no more "jumpy" rudder inputs. All the ranges move smoothly and evenly- again, in the DISPLAY mode only. I will test it out tonight with servos.

* great news!

And yes, this is a "second hand" Tx. I bought it from another hobbyist who never used it- other than to attempt the first model set up in it.

* Here is where I think it went wrong. " never used it, or only used it once" isn't exactly what true! To install the backlight as you received it means he, or someone else had their hands on it. Usually electronics just doesn't start working, and if it goes would you trust it with your copter or plane? Usually not.
Since it was in trouble as soon as you turned it on I suspect after the BL was added it started acting up and he bailed on it and passed the trouble on go you as, "only used once, works great", when we/you know it didn't!
Depending on what he removed to install the BL he most likely removed or disturbed the stick connectors going into the motherboard. It's a common issue that reseating the connectors has cleared up many times. Usually it happens after work has been done on the electronics. I'm sure reseating the connectors or pushing on all of them cleared this up.
He got another, simpler 6ch radio for free and decided this was too much to use at his (and mine, apparently) skill level. I'm beginning to think he made a good choice LOL.
* as for choice, I'll bet if the tx had worked 100% he may have kept it. Could it be the fact that with it's issues he thought he couldn't make it work gor him when it was actually broken from the dork done on it?
Who knows now?

Upgrades... I'm not sure what to do yet. I want this to be a good radio, but I'm new to all of this and don't want to get in over my head. I am however, open to any suggestions you all may have. Just be easy on the newbie's brain OK? I can only absorb so much at once.

* if you do upgrade the firmware you'll not only have hundreds of forum members to help you program it, but the persons writing this great firmware are also here to answer questions and many times if pointed out. Add or modify features you inquire about.
That and the fact that the programs used eepe and Cimpanion9x have simulators in them to actually compose and or test your mixes befor you uplad them into your 9x. Better then that, if you're having trouble writing your own mixes you can download or use ones emailed to you to try and modify. Once you like how they preform you load them into your 9x.
A lot classier and easier then asking strangers at the field to help program your tx that do it on the fly and leave.
So tap hundreds of helpful 24/7 forum members or wing it?
I'm planning to use this radio right now as a simple 4 channel system on my two models. Both are fixed-pitch helicopters. All I need are throttle, and two servos for forward/back/left/right, and rudder for the tail. I DO NOT need any mixing on these helis. Should I still set this up for HELI mode? The swashplate mixes are throwing me for a loop!
* can't help you there but be patient, some one will try. Your stock FW is limited so be patient. There is a stock FW topic here I think so maybe repost your request there for mixes.

Thanks again. Feel free to keep the suggestions going.
* There are solder in mods and screw in mods (Smartieparts board) depending on your budget and soldering skills.
One great plug and play upgrade would be to purchase a Frsky DJT module and use the Frsky RXs! Solid hopping technology to beyond line of sight and full failsafe on all channels. Something the stock 9x system does not have. Also a real small 4 CH RX with telemetry that can monitor your air lipo pack and beep if it gets to low per your preset level. Or a larger 8Ch. No soldering tx mods required, it's built into the module already. It does require a $3 divider at the RX end that plugs into the RX and connects to your lipo pack.
Simple and works well.
Welcome to the forum, I hope it's been educational. We all lean by sharing our issues and solving them and you did that.
SM

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Thank you for that detailed response. :)

If you want to get your hands into the radio to add say the Smartieparts programmer board. Then you will be able to put Er9x or Open9x onto it and have a whole host of features available to you. Probably more than you will ever need.

If you just want to fly and have a radio that is flexible and to some extent future proof with a great site that offers you a lot of support and a place to share thoughts and ideas. Then you might wish to wait a little while to see what the Frsky X range brings to the party.
kpinnc

Post by kpinnc »

One great plug and play upgrade would be to purchase a Frsky DJT module and use the Frsky RXs!
Sounds interesting, thanks! Especially the low voltage warnings!

If you want to get your hands into the radio to add say the Smartieparts programmer board. Then you will be able to put Er9x or Open9x onto it and have a whole host of features available to you. Probably more than you will ever need.

If you just want to fly and have a radio that is flexible and to some extent future proof with a great site that offers you a lot of support and a place to share thoughts and ideas. Then you might wish to wait a little while to see what the Frsky X range brings to the party.
Might be worth looking into. I've seen ads about "solderless" smartie parts boards, and that is the way I would prefer to go.

Thanks for all the help to all who responded. I hope this radio works as it should now!

Return to “Hardware”