turnigy 9x upgrade flashing

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
jeffstu

turnigy 9x upgrade flashing

Post by jeffstu »

I have 2x Turnigy 9xtransmittersthat i wish to upgrade firmware
i have ordered a Smarti-parts board to use for flashing and thinking of using Open9x.
i have NO idear of how to go about this or how to connect to PC
is there any posts that can tell me how to download firmware and load into the transmitters.
i have never had to do this before,but know how to use a computer and am expertin r/c modelflying.
i am comming back to the hobby after some 20 years
any help you can give me please
regards Jeff

pmullen503

Re: turnigy 9x upgrade flashing

Post by pmullen503 »

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Consult the Wiki (and Smartieparts manual)
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Wear a helmet unless you have teenagers and already have a callused forehead.

Seriously -- you are asking to understand the entire thing in one fell swoop. I was taught you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time. Start by reading and following Steve's instructions very carefully. Don't sweat -- it falls into the electronics. :P You're going to have alot of questions -- ALOT of questions -- be sure to check the Wiki first - read the threads as much as you can and think of this as a process rather than a destination.
I had absolutely no knowledge of any of this 18 months ago, fell into it quite by accident, and have learned so much I have to buy larger hats. :lol: I literally has sweat dripping from my forehead and the tip of my nose into the transmitter the first time I opened one - -but hey -- it's only a $60 transmitter -- so what.... right?! Just to wet your appetite -- here is a video of my current project -- based on open9x and a sky9x board.
http://youtu.be/V2rW9lk-JkE -- does much more than is apparent in the quick video, but you might see what I mean that this is more of a project than a destination.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi, I am new to Re-flashing also, and I may have a dead Second Turnigy 9X Transmitter Radio. Anyway here is my story:
I had purchased two new Turnigy 9X Transmitter Radios from HobbyKing this last September and after receiving them I was using the first one most of the time. But both of them had difficulty with the Menu buttons and the Exit buttons to work properly. I had to press them several times before they would function correctly. This has been frustrating but I found with persistence I was able to program both Radios.
Several weeks a go I was programming the First Turnigy 9X Transmitter Radio and it locked up with me. It still had power but none of the buttons work. So I turn the power off and after several seconds I turned the power back on. When the power return to the radio I had a loud beep sound and a message on the screen saying EEPROM ERROR! So I started to inquire to what this was all about and the suggestions that I got back was that I needed to Re-Flesh the Firmware. So after investigating more about what Re-Flashing my First Turnigy 9x Radio was about, I decided to purchase the Smarties 9x Solderless Programmer Board with LED Backlight Support. I was successfully in re-flashing my First Turnigy 9X Transmitter Radio with the er9x Firmware and I used the eepe software program. After Re-Flashing I found the added benefit that the Menu button and Exit button were now functioning correctly. My First Turnigy 9X Transmitter Radio with er9x Firmware is working a lot better then it did with the original Turnigy 9X V2 Firmware. The EEPROM ERROR! went away too!
In the mean time I was trying to use my Second Turnigy 9X Transmitter Radio and the Exit button had stopped working all together. So I was hoping that if I Re-Flashed my Second Turnigy 9X Transmitter Radio, it might fix the Exit Button Problem in it. I installed the Smarties 9x Solderless Programmer Board into my Second Turnigy 9X Transmitter Radio with the Exit button problem. And connected the USB cable to my computer with the eepe program. Everything was working correctly as I expected it to work. I saw that the eepe program may have the ability to read and save a copy of the original Turnigy 9X V2 Radio firmware and memory data. And so it made good sense to save a backup copy of the original Turnigy V2 Firmware and memory data to my computer.
When attempting to read the original Tx V2 Firmware, the eepe program was having difficulty in reading it, and a message came up saying that the chip was not the correct chip and it gave me an-option to proceed or stop. I selected to continue and it skipped over that message and proceed on for several seconds. Then it stopped again with another message saying it was not able to read the original Tx V2 Firmware. So I began to search for information to why it was not working.
Then all of a sudden the radio itself seems to die! The Screen went dead.
I'm not sure what happened and I'm not sure if the radio is broken. I check the battery voltage and it was good. Everything seemed to be okay but yet the radio seems to have expired. I am at a lost to what I should try next.
Do you have any suggestions to what may have happened and what I could do to trouble shoot the problem?
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jeffstu

Post by jeffstu »

OK i have now received my Smarti-parts board and installed it.
Where do i go now,do i download EEPE to my computer,and then
connect Turnigy 9x to computer via a USB lead and down load
the open 9x software.
What happens to the EEPE program.
thanks Jeff

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Eepe is for loading ER9X really. It also allows you to backup your model data and edit/simulate models on the PC. Much easier than using the radio all the time.
If you want to go down the open9x route, then you need to download Companion9X (C9X).
With er9x, you have a few choices of version to load, based on any physical mods you may have done to the radio e.g. special wiring for use with FrSky telemetry gear.
With open9x, you choose from a selection of options you would like in the program. Not all options may be selected as they won't all fit in the available flash memory of the processor.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jeffstu

Post by jeffstu »

i am now so confused i dont know what to use for my Turnigy transmitter program wise or software to load
Please i need some advise please
Jeff
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm biased as I'm currently the main developer for er9x. However, assuming you have a standard 9x with the Smartieparts board fitted, a good way to start is:
Read http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Flashing_your_9x
Download and install eepe.
Make sure all drivers are installed, and eepe is configured with the correct path to AVRDUDE.EXE.
Plug the radio into a USB port. If the SP board is 2.3 or later you will need to switch the radio ON.
Get eepe to fetch er9x.hex and flash it to the radio.
Disconnect the USB, switching off the radio if necessary.
Switch the radio on, you will get a BAD EEPROM error, this is normal as the contents are not correct for er9x. Press a key, and er9x will format the EEPROM correctly.
You are now ready to go.

Open9x is different to er9x, but started from the same sources so is not too different. Just use Companion9x instead of eepe.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I agree with Mike. Start with eepe and er9x. Eepe was written to support er9x and has a nice simulator to test your mix programming.
Companion9x and open9x is popular but may require more of a learning curve? It supports many firmware types and may be a little confusing to start with the first time? Some may disagree however.
After you get used to programming you can try other versions of firmwares and decide for yourself.
I believe more are using er9x here and on RCGroups. They all have some great features that make them unique.

The great thing about all this is you have freedom of choice and can try them all and then decide.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Not sure that much different a learning curve.

IMHO I find open9x a whole lot more clean and consistent. But then... I too am biased :-P

Makes little difference either way in the big picture ^_^

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

My main concern, for those new to er9x/open9x, particularly for the stock board, is when you first want to download open9x you are faced with 26 options of what you want in it, and you won't know what most of them mean, or whether you want them.
So if you get er9x and learn it, you understand what many of the options are.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

MikeB wrote:My main concern, for those new to er9x/open9x, particularly for the stock board, is when you first want to download open9x you are faced with 26 options of what you want in it, and you won't know what most of them mean, or whether you want them.
So if you get er9x and learn it, you understand what many of the options are.

Mike.
Even thought I'm currently using open9x I'm going to side with Mike on this. er9x is crazy enough to start with but if a noob downlaods a version with all the bells and whistles (and what noob wouldn't ... they want it all...) it's a jungle in there.
One thing that Open9x has that I don't know if er9x has or not it the model wizard... now that's a slick feature for NOOBS -- too bad it's hidden at the bottom menu of the last tab.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I agree with you in principle... But to be fair... The only real choice is

Frsky or not.

The rest are safe to ignore. But this is not clear to noobs

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Maybe there needs to be a big red NOOB button for a stripped version that opens to the new model wizard. :D
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Scott Page wrote:Maybe there needs to be a big red NOOB button for a stripped version that opens to the new model wizard. :D
Ok, I guess I missed reading about what model wizard is and does?

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Funny... Romolo and I where just talking about that!

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jeffstu wrote:OK i have now received my Smarti-parts board and installed it.
Where do i go now,do i download EEPE to my computer,and then
connect Turnigy 9x to computer via a USB lead and down load
the open 9x software.
What happens to the EEPE program.
thanks Jeff

There are two different PC based programs the interface via USB to the transmitter. EEPE is used for ER9x. Companion9x is the other and it sets out to be the Swiss Army knife handling quite a few different flavors of firmware for the 9x.

What Mike was recommending is you use EEPE as your interface program - and ER9x as the stock firmware replacement. That's good advice.

What Rob was suggesting is you use Companion9x as the interface program and Open9x as the firmware replacement.

Both are good suggestions. Companion9x has one distinct advantage in that it has a transmitter simulator that really helps figure stuff out. It has a distinct disadvantage in that there are so many options to choose your specific flavor of either er9x or open9x that its confusing. To word this differently - er9x and companion9x are each like a base model sedan. But you need to choose the options you want for your particular use. Most are not critical -the color or the moon roof are just options but the don't change the overall functionality. But if you choose Diesel engine and put in gas you're screwed....or vise versa. So with open9x and er9x there is only one critical option - are you using the stock FLYsky or Turnigy module that came with it - or did you do the very popular change out the stock module for a FrSKY (similar spelling, different animal) DJT transmitter module. So, the only critical choice from the check boxes when you download is Frsky. (EDIT: This choice is not critical unless you have converted your transmitter to FrSKY dedicated TX -- if you only have the DJT module it does not matter)

I don't know about EEPE right now, but open9x has a check box (in preferences) where it will (if checked) ask if you'd like to flash right after downloading. Pretty handy option.

Hope this gives you a bit more insight.
Last edited by Scott Page on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Scott Page wrote:
MikeB wrote:My main concern, for those new to er9x/open9x, particularly for the stock board, is when you first want to download open9x you are faced with 26 options of what you want in it, and you won't know what most of them mean, or whether you want them.
Even thought I'm currently using open9x I'm going to side with Mike on this. er9x is crazy enough to start with but if a noob downlaods a version with all the bells and whistles (and what noob wouldn't ... they want it all...) it's a jungle in there.
I have included a full, exhaustive description of options and a recommendation of what to select for new users in the French open9x manual. It just hasn't been translated into the English one yet...
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Scott Page wrote: ... So with open9x and er9x there is only one critical option - are you using the stock FLYsky or Turnigy module that came with it - or did you do the very popular change out the stock module for a FrSKY (similar spelling, different animal) DJT transmitter module. So, the only critical choice from the check boxes when you download is Frsky.
Is that correct?

As far as I understand it, the critical point is:
did you do the rerouting of the switches (rewire pins 2 and 3 of the mcu) to support telemetry.
Using FrSky modules/receivers instead of FlySky doesn't change anything.
Only the physical rerouting makes changes.

With rerouting of the switches you must flash a telemetry version of the fw (FrSky, Ardupilot,Jeti,NMEA)
Without rerouting you must use the standard version of the fw and it doesn't matter what TX/RX brand you are using

Reinhard
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ReSt wrote: With rerouting of the switches you must flash a telemetry version of the fw (FrSky, Ardupilot,Jeti,NMEA)
Without rerouting you must use the standard version of the fw and it doesn't matter what TX/RX brand you are using
Exact :)
jeffstu

Post by jeffstu »

Many thanks to all,for your help and i have decided to go with EEPE and ER9X
Regards to you all Jeff
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

What ever your choice is you'll be busy setting up mixes and flying.
The great thing about doing this all to your tx is your not locked down to any permanent firmware. You can change back and forth to get the feel of one you like. You're also able to modify or change hardware options on your tx, or will be with the great help offered here.

Just FYI
Just be careful if you upgrade your tx battery not to reverse polarity!
Reuse the 3 pin connector on the AA pack to prevent this. A 2 pin in the 3 pin connector can allow a reversed battery if I inserted one pin off! Happens a lot!
I add a servo type connector to the 3 pin so I can add other type batteries or reuse the dry AA pack(never will but ?).
A reversed battery can really ruin your day.
SM

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

ReSt wrote:
Scott Page wrote: ... So with open9x and er9x there is only one critical option - are you using the stock FLYsky or Turnigy module that came with it - or did you do the very popular change out the stock module for a FrSKY (similar spelling, different animal) DJT transmitter module. So, the only critical choice from the check boxes when you download is Frsky.
Is that correct?

As far as I understand it, the critical point is:
did you do the rerouting of the switches (rewire pins 2 and 3 of the mcu) to support telemetry.
Using FrSky modules/receivers instead of FlySky doesn't change anything.
Only the physical rerouting makes changes.

With rerouting of the switches you must flash a telemetry version of the fw (FrSky, Ardupilot,Jeti,NMEA)

Reinhard
Good point. I edited my post to reflect this.

Return to “Hardware”