Flysky 9x with Frsky without telemetry and other questions

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
fixedwing

Flysky 9x with Frsky without telemetry and other questions

Post by fixedwing »

Hello, newbie here to the 9x. After reading as much info on rcgroups and here that I could, I decided that the 9x (bought it from hobbypartz) was the right price and had the right features (after modding - which I love the idea of running custom firmware on it) for me. Currently I'm still waiting to receive the tx from hobbypartz, battery and backlight from hobbyking, and smartieparts board. I am also planning on getting the Frsky DJT module from aloft hobbies.

My questions are as follows:
1a) Can this module (DJT) be used without doing the telemetry mod? As in, could I simply plug it into the 9x (after using a dremel to remove the plastic in the way) having only installed the smartieparts board and lcd backlight, and use it like that? I do like the FLD-02 option down the road if I decide I want telemetry, or I may end up doing the mod anyway, but I haven't decided yet.

1b) If I don't do any telemetry mods, would I still need to mod the frsky module as described here? http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _Mod_FrSky
I suppose this is kinda redundant to 1a, but there is so much information out there that I am thoroughly confused.

2) If the answer to 1a is yes, which firmware would I use? I would like to use the er9x, but everything I've read regarding frsky mentions that the frsky er9x firmware is for the telemetry mod. Would I use the stock er9x firmware or the one designed for frsky?

3a) If I do end up doing the telemetry mod, would the frsky module still be swappable with other modules? I'd like to use flysky, frsky, and (possibly in the future) dsm2 modules. I'm wondering if after the mod I could still simply swap modules at the field to use a different plane. (I plan on keeping and using the module and receiver that comes with the 9x)

3b) Would I need to change firmware to use each different module (assuming I don't do any mods like telemetry or otherwise)?

3c) Is it possible to use a dms2 module (like from a dx4e) without doing any internal modifications to it or the 9x? I'd like to not touch the inner electronics as much as possible.

4) What are templates? I see them mentioned on the firmware page. Would I free up more model memory if I were to use the NOHT version? (I don't fly helis)

Anything else I should be aware of before I dive into this project? I'm really looking forward to it. :D

I know I have a lot of questions, and anyone's help regarding them would be greatly appreciated.

Kilrah

Re: Flysky 9x with Frsky without telemetry and other questio

Post by Kilrah »

Sooo!

1a) Yes of course.

1b) Nope, no mod needed.

2) Use the standard version (non-frsky). The frsky version is only to be used with the telemetry mod.

3a) Depends how you do the telemetry mod, but yes it's possible, that's actually how I do (I swap between 5 modules, one of which is a DJT with telemetry mod).

3b) Nope, one does all!

3c) Yep, you can mount it in a module case and simply swap modules (it's how I do it too). The little bit of circuitry that's explained in the Wiki still needs to be done, but can be put in the module too.

4) They are "starting points" for model configuration. You go in the template menu, load one, and it creates a set of mixers common for that type of model. Not including them won't free any model memory.
fixedwing

Post by fixedwing »

Thank you for taking the time to reply answer my questions, but may I ask where I can find more information on this? Specifically, is there a guide on how to alter the telemetry mod to allow swapping of modules at will and how to set up the dsm2 module and case like you describe?

So you're saying that if I do the telemetry mod, but swap modules, that I should still stick with the frsky firmware because it knows to compensate for the wiring changes internally?

Also, I'm new to the whole modular radio bandwagon, and even new to 2.4 ghz. (I'm coming from a tower hobbies branded 6ex 72 mhz tx). It may sound simple, but does it matter whether the radio is on or off when changing out modules? I would assume I would turn it off, but Google has come up short on answers to this. Perhaps you know of/could link to a guide for people new to 2.4 and modular radios?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The info is a little scattered, but one of the PDFs about the telemetry mod shows how to reuse the 2 unused module pins to carry telemetry data. The DSM mod has most of the infi needed, it doesn't talk about putting it in a module case but it's basically the same as connecting it internally.

Yes if you have the telemetry mod, install the frsky firmware.

It's usually recommended to power down things before swapping removeable modules, but here it doesn't matter much. I very often swap with power on, as long as you don't bend and short the pins by inserting it crooked there's no problem.
fixedwing

Post by fixedwing »

Ok, sounds good. I'll look into it further if I decide to go that route. I did however come across one more thing in my research: fuses. Could you explain what people are talking about when they talk about fuses in the er9x (or link to a good explanation)? It seems like they're some sort of software feature but another source mentions a fuse brick and 1 mhz oscillators. Do I even need to be concerned about 'fuses' at all? Once again, I really appreciate your patience in getting a new user up to speed.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's the "basic" configuration of the processor. You shouldn't have to worry about them. The only time you'd need to be concerned about them is if you got a bad flashing failure or replaced the processor.

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”