Newbie help, servos won't travel past ~50%

gquiring

Newbie help, servos won't travel past ~50%

Post by gquiring »

I'm stuck. I have a S8R receiver bound and 4 servos hooked up to a X10s. Thr, Rud, Ail will not use the full range of the sticks. The servo stops moving after about 50% stick travel, if you keep moving the stick past 50% the servo does not move. The Elev behaves normally. I have run through the stick calibration several times. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I went to the servo monitor menu and everything is moving 100% for all channels.

The receiver is in mode D16, Ch range is CH1-CH16 (18ms)

I am using OpenTX 2.2.1 (2017/12/17)

I had the radio by mistake in Mode 1. I changed it to Mode 2 and now the Throttle is moving correctly but not the other channels. The elevator is going 50% after switching modes, so I would assume it is not the stick calibration.

I created a new model, even more weird, one channel only works in one direction, rest of them the servos stop following the sticks after about 50% travel.

Kilrah

Re: Newbie help, servos won't travel past ~50%

Post by Kilrah »

You do know the S8R is a stabilizing receiver, and if its stabilization functions are enabled requires setup and calibration, including allowed travel amounts?

If the channel monitor shows correct movement then that's what you now have to do.
gquiring

Post by gquiring »

The gyros are not enabled.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you mean you have specifically turned off the receiver from possibly acting as a stabilising receiver (Unticked the SXR enable box in the configuration software)? Or have you just got channels 10 and/or 11 set so the stabilising function is not active?

The default for a new receiver is to have the stabilising function enabled and this means you MUST perform the self-check operation, wait for the blue LED to go off AND the servos to "twitch", then move the controls to their limits to "teach" the receiver the maximum throw it is allowed to use (to prevent stalling a servo due to mechanical limitations.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
gquiring

Post by gquiring »

I assumed it was off since wiggling the RX around did not move the servos. The good news is a G-RX8 receiver showed up today in the mail and it travels the full range of the sticks. So I need to learn the radio and the gyro RX is probably not the place to start.

Thanks for help Mike, I will be back with lots of newbie questions.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you have any means of configuring the parameters for the S8R? You need either a STK device to plug into your computer, together with the configuration program, or you need to run the LUA script that configures the S8R "over the air".

Unless you have configured channels 10 and/or 11, then the S8R will probably be in "non-stabilised" mode.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
gquiring

Post by gquiring »

I just Googled what a STK is. It's a shame the radios don't come with the basics. I don't have one. Are there any other tools/dongles I should get? My primary interest is sailplanes (no gyro RX) and 3D foamies (Gyro RX). I will want talking varios for my sailplanes and from what I read the G-RX8 has them integrated in the RX.

So I should upgrade the firmware/check it for each RX I buy?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You just need the LUA script that is available to run on the Tx to be able to configure the S8R.
Since I develop and use ersky9x firmware, rather than openTx, I'm not certain from where you obtain the script.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I found this to be very helpful:
http://rcdiy.ca/sxr-setup-s6r-s8r/

You’re right. Setting up a stabilized receiver is NOT the place to learn about how to use a new transmitter.

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”