How to receive GPS on 9xrPro Ersky9xr 221 g7

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
EdwardMcRichy

How to receive GPS on 9xrPro Ersky9xr 221 g7

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Hey experts, I've looked around this forum and can't find instructions on how to receive GPS on the radio. I have an Omnibus F4, Frsky X4R-SB with smart port connected to soft serial. Running betaflight 3.2.5. I have GPS connected to UART 1, I can see GPS coordinates on the OSD through my goggles. I want to be able to log the GPS coordinates (i've lost two quads already) don't want to lose another one. My non-gps quad I can see FasV, Fuel, Amps and Alt on the radio but can only see Swr and RSSI on the GPS quad. Is the problem because I have smart port going through soft serial? Betaflight Wiki says it should work. https://github.com/betaflight/betafligh ... are-Serial

Do i need to run smart port through a UART for this to work?
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: How to receive GPS on 9xrPro Ersky9xr 221 g7

Post by MikeB »

I don't know Betaflight, but it seems you don't have any SPort telemetry working. SWR comes from the Tx module and RSSI comes from the Rx.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:00 am I don't know Betaflight, but it seems you don't have any SPort telemetry working. SWR comes from the Tx module and RSSI comes from the Rx.

Mike
Just realized I didn't save in the betaflight configurator so I do have S port telemetry working now. I see FasV, amps and all sorts of other info. Just no GPS, is there something I need to do on the radio?
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, if GPS data is sent over the SPort, then it should appear on the GPS display screen, and be available to log.

I would guess that the GPS data is not being sent from Betaflight.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:07 pm No, if GPS data is sent over the SPort, then it should appear on the GPS display screen, and be available to log.

I would guess that the GPS data is not being sent from Betaflight.

Mike
Mike I inquired over on the Betaflight thread on RC Groups and was informed that indeed Betaflight does send GPS data over smartport. I've linked to the post and response for your reference. Maybe this will help but on my other quads I'm not using GPS so the GPS data (zeros) on the telemetry screen constantly flashes. On this quad it only flashes when I just turn the radio on and it's not connected to the receiver however when it connects to the receiver the zeros go solid. Do I need to wait for a certain amount of time, like more than a few minutes before GPS shows up?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... ount=53930

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With everything running, go to the Telemetry/Logging menu. At the extreme right of the display, there is a tick shown beside any values that are being received. LAT and LONG are near the end of the items. See if either has a tick (not the one in te box that selects them for logging).

Also, you could create a "raw log file" of the actual data being received, see here: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... ng#p123508, for how to do that.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:23 pm With everything running, go to the Telemetry/Logging menu. At the extreme right of the display, there is a tick shown beside any values that are being received. LAT and LONG are near the end of the items. See if either has a tick (not the one in te box that selects them for logging).

Also, you could create a "raw log file" of the actual data being received, see here: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... ng#p123508, for how to do that.

Mike
Mike,

Edit: Uploaded wrong file, will have the correct one in a few minutes.

Ok, I've attached the RAW file, as soon as I turned on Raw logging, I started to receive GPS. However when I switched to my first telemetry screen which I have SWR, RSSI, FasV and Fuel it was all gone and the screen said script error. Also in the middle of the time period I was logging the gps values froze and started blinking, came back a few seconds later, the transmitter beeped.
Attachments
Growler-2018-02-24.zip
(142 Bytes) Downloaded 280 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The raw log file is empty, and also doesn't have a date on it.
Is your real time clock (RTC) running? Has the battery that keeps it running gone flat?
This is important as the signal that controls whether telemetry data is inverted or not is controlled by an output from the RTC chip.

When you select "Raw Logging" in the DEBUG menu, no logging actually starts until you turn logging on (Assign a switch to enable logging in the Logging menu). Also note that the "Raw Logging" selection is not saved if you power off.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:14 am The raw log file is empty, and also doesn't have a date on it.
Is your real time clock (RTC) running? Has the battery that keeps it running gone flat?
This is important as the signal that controls whether telemetry data is inverted or not is controlled by an output from the RTC chip.

When you select "Raw Logging" in the DEBUG menu, no logging actually starts until you turn logging on (Assign a switch to enable logging in the Logging menu). Also note that the "Raw Logging" selection is not saved if you power off.

Mike
Mike,
Did three of them this time. RTC is running I assume, the transmitter keeps time and date even when I remove the main battery. This time I did not receive GPS data with raw logging on, however custom telemetry screen 1 again showed "script error" all the other telemetry screens showed data.

Edit: Just double checked and put the SD card back in the radio, turned it on, Raw logging was not on and telemetry screen 1 still shows script error.
Attachments
Growler-2018-02-25-071414.zip
(6.85 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Regarding the "Script Error", please check in the Telemetry|Custom menu that the custom display is set to "Values" and not "Script".

I looked at the raw log files, the only GPS data in them is the GPS Heading, no Lat or Long data, so it seems the GPS Lat and Long are not being sent by the receiver/Betaflight.

MIke
erskyTx/er9x developer
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:58 pm Regarding the "Script Error", please check in the Telemetry|Custom menu that the custom display is set to "Values" and not "Script".

I looked at the raw log files, the only GPS data in them is the GPS Heading, no Lat or Long data, so it seems the GPS Lat and Long are not being sent by the receiver/Betaflight.

MIke
Ok, quick question then, yesterday when I first clicked on raw logging which gave the blank file, I did receive Lat and Long on the radio. So I flipped the logging switch which I have set to ELE D/R, an L appeared on the screen, but produced that blank file. When I went to do it again this morning no GPS showed up on the radio. I'll take this back to the Betaflight thread on RC Groups.

Regarding Script, don't know how that happened, I've always had telemetry values on the first page. Switched it back to values no problem.

Thanks for your help Mike.
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Ok, it appears I'm a dummy. I'm pretty sure that I was able to get GPS on my radio once I set the RSSI channel to the correct aux channel in betaflight. I am doing to good ol' loop back method to get RSSI on my OSD, using channel 6 (aux 2). Turns out I had the RSSI channel set to aux 6 in Betaflight. Once I set it to aux 2 I started to see RSSI moving on the OSD and started receiving GPS on the radio. Coincidental or not I don't know but it works now. I also turned on raw logging on my radio, don't know if that had an effect. Next time I fly I will not enable raw logging in order to see if I still get GPS. I've had it enabled before and got GPS for an instant but it went away. All is good now.

Return to “ersky9xr”